Mae Rim?

Octaviousbp

I was out in that area today after I dropped my Son off at the Elephant Camp. My Wife and I spent a couple of hours touring around Mae Rim as we had nothing better to do.

I thought the place was tardy compared with CM... No Farang Bars or restaurants from what I could see.. I thought to myself that I am glad I live in CM.

Just my 2 satangs worth to start the ball rolling

TP

I used to live near CMU, Huay Kaew side, which was pretty much a perfect location for me. The place we'll be staying this time is subsidized, and up in Mae Rim, so unfortunately not much of a choice.

How long did it take you to get there/back Pauly? I seem to remember it being around 15-20 minutes, but didn't head up that way too often and might be confused...

I was out in that area today after I dropped my Son off at the Elephant Camp. My Wife and I spent a couple of hours touring around Mae Rim as we had nothing better to do.

I thought the place was tardy compared with CM... No Farang Bars or restaurants from what I could see.. I thought to myself that I am glad I live in CM.

Just my 2 satangs worth to start the ball rolling

TP

ThaiPauly,

A quick aside from the topic!! The Elephant Camp? An actual Elephant Camp? Or School? :o

In all seriousness, I am genuinely wanting to volunteer at a real Elephant Camp when I get to Chiang Mai. Do you have any info?

Cheers

Phil

The Elephant CAMP in Mae Rim is especially for tourists who wish to see the Elephants perform tricks, paint pictures etc and go Elephant Riding.

There is an Elephant School at Lampang which I know nothing about.

More than this I do not know.

Post a seperate topic Phil

TP

The main Mae-Rim to Chiang Mai road is only 4-lane, with plenty of parked cars at the little clusters of shops along the way, so can be heavy-going esp during the rush-hour.

However there is also the winding 4-lane Irrigation Road, as an alternative, to get to the CMU/Doi-Suthep area, or bypass the centre of town.

I know quite a few farang families who live on the Mae Rim road or around Mae Rim. They are generally families who want a bigger yard in the countryside or they send their kids to Prem. As mentioned before, there's not a lot of farang-type restaurants or shopping though. However; the new Rimping is not too far to travel for a western grocery store.

Just curious if any TVers are Mae Rimites? Is it a busy commute into Chiang Mai? How long does it take during rush hour? Any info or pros/cons about living in the area would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

When coming down from Chieng Dao, Mae rim is where you first feel the oppressive afternoon heat, the first hit of filthy air and where the traffic congestion begins.... and then it increases as you enter Chiengmai. On the upside, on the way north, it is at the end of all the above.

The Mae Taeng /Mae Malai area is a wee bit further and far more pleasant.

...Ken

Mae Rim and Hang Dong districts, north and south of Chiang Mai respectively, were the first outlying districts to develop as pseudo-bedroom communities for Chiang Mai city. As a result these districts have more expensive real estate than other outlying districts, so far, and suffer more traffic congestion.

The extending of the canal road towards both Mae Rim and Hang Dong has eased congestion quite a bit, and with the canal road eventually extending all the way to the vicinity of the Four Seasons resort there should be even more relief.

Sankamphaeng is the latest boom suburb. Areas to the NE and SE of the city, i.e., Phrao/Doi Saket and Mae On, are quieter and more rural. That's where I would be looking now if I wanted to live outside the city limits.