Wireless N PCI Adapter or 150Mbps Wireless N Router for sharing with another house?

mcfester

I currently have a standard 3bb one port modem to my desktop and want to share my connection with another house maybe 30 meters across the soi, would these products do the job?

Wireless N PCI Adapter http://www.shoptplink.com/products/TP%252dLINK-TL%252dWN751ND-150Mbps-Wireless-N-PCI-Adapter.html

150Mbps Wireless N Router http://www.shoptplink.com/products/TP%252dLINK-TL%252dWR740N-150Mbps-Wireless-N-Router.html

Edited by mcfester

It could be fine 30 meters is not that far. I have a rather cheap wireless router and our guest house is well over 30m away maybe 60m at least but only a few trees between and it works fine inside there from the main house. In fact my router does not even have an ant. like most it is made to get internet from 3G connection with an air card then provide ports and wireless. dwr-112, Just put the router near a window that faces the other house it should reach that far. Another home near here shares their router between to homes and has the router inside a pump house that gives signal to the two homes ether side - both are 20+ meters from the pump house. You do mean 30 and not 300 right?

Maybe you can borrow a router and test it with a laptop over at the other house to be sure.

I think that borrowing a router and trying it is a good idea. The pci card is cheap.

At my house my router is in the garage which is essentially under and in the middle of the house. It works fine all over the house. But I can't get a good signal outside, even 10 meters from the house. My guess is metal garage doors, lots of wiring in the walls, and overhead power coming to the house. In other words a lot of EMI (electromagnetic interference) steel doors, thick walls and faux wood siding actually made of concrete.

You could also try a repeater in the second house if the signal is too weak. And yes, line of sight as in windows could help.

I would never share my connection as if your neighbour post something negative about the Royal Family (for example) - the police will come to visit YOU as it comes from your ip number!

What about if your neighbour starts to download movies / torrents and look internet TV the whole day, why share an internet connection as it will only cost about TB 1.000 a month?

I've found a second hand router in the classifieds for 500B, I'll give that a try.

My friends will only be in their house a few hours in the evening for a few months so a one off payment is cheaper than getting their own connection. LOL about negative posts.

Thanks for the help.

They would except that I have doubts about the distance and going through two houses.

Do the numbers 54/150/300 determine the range or is that the speed?

That's throughput (Mbps).

Actually that's the "Link Rate;" actual data throughput rate will be much lower especially for a Wifi connection...less so for a Ethernet/hardwire connection. Link