850,000 Thai Bangkok Football Fans Gambling On World Cup

george

850,000 Bangkok football fans gambling on World Cup

BANGKOK: -- More than 850,000 Bangkok residents will be betting an estimated 56 million dollars on the upcoming World Cup football matches in Germany, with most of them convinced that Brazil will emerge the champions, an opinion poll disclosed on Wednesday.

According to an Assumption University ABAC opinion poll of 1,584 people in Bangkok and its surrounding suburbs, 63.8 per cent of those surveyed said they intended to watch live broadcasts of the World Cup that will be held in Germany from June 9 to July 9.

That may prove bad news for employee productivity in the Thai capital as the live broadcasts will be more...

Media featuring soccer betting comparisons may face legal action

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry will take legal action against the media featuring soccer betting odds comparisons.

Somchai Charoen-amnuaysuk (สมชาย เจริญอำนวยสุข), deputy director of the Bureau of Welfare Promotion and Protection of Children, Youth, the Disadvantaged, Persons with Disabilities and Older Persons, said the ministry has asked newspapers, sport magazines and other media to stop presenting soccer betting odds, however, to no avail.

Mr. Somchai said the ministry was concerned the betting odds could lure youngsters into gambling during the World Cup.

He said the ministry was considering taking legal action against those media to protect the children under Article 26 of the Children Protection Act.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 May 2006

I know that many Thais support England but with Rooney looking more and more doubtful and Owen without match practice they're relying on the crouching tiger to put the ball in the net.

Not a fearsome prospect, I strongly urge all Thai gamblers to keep their money in their pockets.

Do not bet on England!

A poll on media influence on soccer betting will be conducted

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry will conduct a poll to decide whether the media presenting soccer betting odds comparisons can really lead youngsters into gambling.

Caretaker Minister Watana Muangsuk (วัฒนา ม่วงสุข) said if findings confirmed that the media had such influence on youths, he would issue them a warning.

Mr. Watana said radio and television should stop analyzing soccer games and newspapers must not publish soccer betting odds as a way to help control widespread soccer gambling.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2006

Why doesn't the government get to be realistic and realise that there is NO way to EFFECTIVELY deal with football betting...it has gotten to be so big in Thailand. By various crackdowns, only 1 percent or so of it is possibly dealt with (ok...it is just a wild guess but I don't think I am far off the real figure).

LEGALISE the thing ! Imagine how much revenue it would bring.

Jem

BANGKOK: -- More than 850,000 Bangkok residents will be betting an estimated 56 million dollars on the upcoming World Cup football matches in Germany, with most of them convinced that Brazil will emerge the champions, an opinion poll disclosed on Wednesday.

According to an Assumption University ABAC opinion poll of 1,584 people in Bangkok and its surrounding suburbs, 63.8 per cent of those surveyed said they intended to watch live broadcasts of the World Cup that will be held in Germany from June 9 to July 9.

That may prove bad news for employee productivity in the Thai capital as the live broadcasts will be more...

850,000? What about the rest?

That is only 8.5% of the population. Each betting about 2500B. ($65.88)

I can belive the amount being bet but only 8.5% ????? :o

It's a wonder how Assumption Uni was able to come up with the number of people that will gamble, and the amounts.

Their poll seems to suggest that they were able to determine (with a slight margin of error) the number of people that will watch the World Cup. Did they extrapolate that Thai's by nature are generally gamblers, and that they would wager 4-weeks salary on the games?

Maybe Assumption Uni was polling to see if people are betting that LOS will show "live" World Cup matches on television. That would make more sense. :o

Edited by Gumballl

I know that many Thais support England but with Rooney looking more and more doubtful and Owen without match practice they're relying on the crouching tiger to put the ball in the net.

Not a fearsome prospect, I strongly urge all Thai gamblers to keep their money in their pockets.

Do not bet on England!

What odds would you give - on England not winning ? :o

Do not bet on England!

What odds would you give - on England not winning ? :o

If England win, I will buy the first Udon Thani farmer I meet after that unforseeable event who can name the England team, a crate of Leo beer or 5 bottles of Lao Khao-his or her choice.

ABAC Poll finds more than 3 million people will gamble during the World Cup

More than 3 million people have intended to gamble during the World Cup, with revolving betting money expected to be higher than 14 billion baht, according to a survey by ABAC Poll.

ABAC Poll reported that about 20 million people would watch the live broadcast of the World Cup. Of that number, 3.6 million people would bet, it said, adding that nearly 600,000 of them would become first-time soccer gamblers.

The Poll said 64.4% of these gamblers did not think they would be arrested.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 June 2006

Do not bet on England!

Englands form has been sketchy for quite some time now... I'm not sure about betting but I'd say Brazil/Argentina/Italy have the best chances of making it through to the top.

A campaign against soccer gambling will be held on June 16

A campaign designed to encourage young people to stay away from gambling will be held on June 16th.

Somchai Charoen-amnuaysuk (สมชาย เจริญอำนวยสุข), deputy director of the Bureau of Welfare Promotion and Protection of Children, Youth, the Disadvantaged, Persons with Disabilities and Older Persons, said participants will take a vow that they will not gamble as a way to pay honor to His Majesty the King.

Mr. Somchai said sport activities will be arranged as part of the campaign. Famous soccer players including Mr. Piyapong Piew-on (ปิยะพงศ์ ผิวอ่อน) and Mr. Theerathep Winothai (ธีรเทพ วิโนทัย) will join those activities and help talk them out of betting during the World Cup.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 June 2006