New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I condone idiocy, but a drunken 18-year old stole a phone...and gave it back!

That lands him in jail?!

God, I am so happy I haven't seen far worse crimes here, that went unpunished!(# redbull)

• Like 2

He gave the phone back like that's gonna make it all better. It's like robbing a bank and then giving the money back - hey, no harm no foul. I also love how the media always paints these teen fwits as victims : shame the prison must be terrible; hes got a job and works really hard - obviously not hard enough if he decided to steal a phone in Thailand. Thieves make my blood boil-the lowest form of respect and highest form of laziness. Somnamna

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't like thieves either and some times they are Thai...

My motorbike was stolen at night and there was a good facial pic of one of the thieves- but the cops wouldn't come out to investigate and even resisted me making a written report.

If the thief would have given my bike back, it sure would have been better :)

If the NZ kid actually stole the drivers phone, then yea he needs to face justice. But five years in a Thai prison? Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime?

Thais stealing from tourists/expats and its ha ha, mai pen rai. Steal from a Thai and its possibly five years in jail.

Beam me up Scotty... whistling.gif

• Like 1

probably if he hadn't resisted arrest then we wouldn't even be reading this... but young punks... gotta let those hormones out to see who is the bigger man... you know, 'the cave man thinking'... well no matter how small thai's are they still will win... so gotta respect the laws of any country... night or day hehe...

give him a 'spanking' and send him home to mommy and daddy... :P

We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Agree with the second part, but this is right up there with the most puke-worthy comments on this site.

Yes. But just the usual trolling remarks designed to get a reaction. I've learnt to ignore them (but it's not easy!).

• Like 1

I learn something ever day here. Now when I plan to rob a bank, I will make sure it's daylight outside.

Good for you! That's when the banks are typically open. A night-time break in would require some smarts, and boy, you aren't there yet.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Duh...public holidays and sundays !!!

• Like 1

silly boy but we were all young once... send him home - slap on wrist and ban for ten years coming here should be enough (hopefully)

Yes we were all young once but we weren't all thieves or got into confrontations with authorities. He did the crime in Thailand and deserves to face Thai punishment.

Maybe he should get elected. You seem to have a much more lenient attitude to elected thieves.

• Like 2

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

I wouldn't say we're honoured guests, merely guests and quite possibly a nuisance and worse in most Thais eyes... I do agree we're honoured to be here, but that term usually represents someone who is very much welcomed.

He gave the phone back like that's gonna make it all better. It's like robbing a bank and then giving the money back - hey, no harm no foul. I also love how the media always paints these teen fwits as victims : shame the prison must be terrible; hes got a job and works really hard - obviously not hard enough if he decided to steal a phone in Thailand. Thieves make my blood boil-the lowest form of respect and highest form of laziness. Somnamna

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If interviewed by the media when he gets home I wonder how it will be reported ? Yes the law and conditions are very different to NZ, yes there are double standards but will his part in the saga been downplayed ?

silly boy but we were all young once... send him home - slap on wrist and ban for ten years coming here should be enough (hopefully)

Yes we were all young once but we weren't all thieves or got into confrontations with authorities. He did the crime in Thailand and deserves to face Thai punishment.

Maybe he should get elected. You seem to have a much more lenient attitude to elected thieves.

A thief is a thief and they all should face the law when caught

• Like 2

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Please get a grip. I knew from the minute I saw his ugly mug what he was. I have nothing to be ashamed of, particularly since he has nothing to do with me. Considering the amount of petty crime in Thailand, I doubt any Thai is going to blame any foreigner for this specimen,

anyone know the age of majority here?

18 is the age to get called up for service and die in the south. Majority enough for you?

Had he not been a westerner/tourist, he wouldnt be treated like a Soi Dog

At every turn, Thailand shames itself again!

Get a grip. Aside from his most likely being white trash and a lovely piece of business, Thais are treated much worse on a daily basis. There's two sets of justice in Thailand. One for the poor and one for the rich. Have a read again of Simple1's post. Even his family and friends didn't want him. They weren't willing to post a manageable amount of money for his bail. Maybe they are happy to be rid of prince charming.

• Like 1

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Shameful as it may be thailand is a haven for foriegners breaking the law while they are here. Illegal workers teaching are too numerous to count. Tax evaders would be a close second yet noone seems to care about these laws and enforcing them. Petty theft if a phone stolen at night seems to carry quite a severe punishment here.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013

Let's remember folks, he is still a kid. Yes he did wrong but a 1-5 year prison sentence is just wrong.

He will have the opportunity to settle before his case goes to the Prosecutor and he better do so and just move on.

If he shows the taxi driver some remore, politeness etc. he might get off by compensating him. I hope so.

Yes theft is wrong but as an 18-year-old kid I can only imagine how he felt when he was being arrested (scared as hell) and also being intoxicated wouldn't help.

I think no matter what happens his "stealing" days are over.....lesson learned (we can only hope).