Shipping Goods from Australia to Thailand by Sea

DavoTheGun

Also, Davo the OP may benefit from advice about customs duties....I know I would.

Just get my post deleted if you think this is a hi-jack, Davo. Sorry, but I think these are compatible questions.

I shipped 3 Large Boxes of Household goods from Australia Last Year, the shipping costs were very cheap. but cannot remember who I used, total weight was 700KG, I picked up Goods from Bangkok Port Myself. a bit of backwards and forwards

between Customs and Port Authority, No Duty Payable! Just some Tea Money for Customs 2000 Bt, goods were put onto my Pickup for me,

I am shipping some free samples this time of a product to test a Market, so no issues with Customs, I hope!

I used an agent in Bangkok for goods shipped from the UK in December her name is Will she is Thai but speaks better English than me contact her at wil (at) united-relo.com or call her on 0849198899 mention my name Ossie from koh samui as I want to keep in her good books should I ever need her services again they were brilliant give her a call

Edited by soundman
Email address modified per forum rules.

Hi Davo, I am an aussie ex freight forwarder & very experienced in Oz-Thai shipments, can you plse advise the nature of these proposed samples because I have had previous clients having their goods confiscated or forced to re-export back to Aust by Thai customs in the past.

I have already posted this a couple of years ago in response to another similar query.

I brought my stuff over from Australia eight years ago. I paid my shipping company in Australia for door to door delivery. When my things arrived here my shipper's agent in Klong Toey said they would not handle it unless I paid 50,000 baht cash, under the table.

I didn't pay it and handled it myself which turned into a nightmare with endless trips to Govt. offices and the Ministry of Culture and three separate trips to the port. Customs at Lat Krabang Inland Container Depot demanded import duty as well which I shouldn't have to pay as it was all personal household goods and I complied with the requirements as per the customs and immigration websites and I showed them printouts but they didn't care.

One day people at the Ministry of Culture wanted to go to the port and see my goods but demanded that I personally pick them up at 9.00 AM and take them there in a taxi. I arrived at the Ministry offices at 9 AM but they didn’t get there until 11 AM. No apology!

Finally after 5 weeks of all this I was told to go and get my stuff. That final day my paperwork was handed around to 17 different desks at the port office, I had to pay some small handling fees. I was there all day but they didn't get it finished before 4.00 PM so then I was asked to pay 400 baht for staff overtime. When all was complete I was again sent to customs to pay import duty. I tried not to and debated the point endlessly and produced copies of the regulations for them to read. No matter, I had to pay.

So I finally asked how much?? They told me whatever the percentage is of the value of my things. They asked me what I thought they were worth. So I told them some very small figure and they did not argue. So I paid 2200 baht and it was done.

This is a very much abbreviated story of what happened in total.

I stayed cool calm and smiling all the time but inside I was fuming.

I have already posted this a couple of years ago in response to another similar query.

I brought my stuff over from Australia eight years ago. I paid my shipping company in Australia for door to door delivery. When my things arrived here my shipper's agent in Klong Toey said they would not handle it unless I paid 50,000 baht cash, under the table.

I didn't pay it and handled it myself which turned into a nightmare with endless trips to Govt. offices and the Ministry of Culture and three separate trips to the port. Customs at Lat Krabang Inland Container Depot demanded import duty as well which I shouldn't have to pay as it was all personal household goods and I complied with the requirements as per the customs and immigration websites and I showed them printouts but they didn't care.

One day people at the Ministry of Culture wanted to go to the port and see my goods but demanded that I personally pick them up at 9.00 AM and take them there in a taxi. I arrived at the Ministry offices at 9 AM but they didn’t get there until 11 AM. No apology!

Finally after 5 weeks of all this I was told to go and get my stuff. That final day my paperwork was handed around to 17 different desks at the port office, I had to pay some small handling fees. I was there all day but they didn't get it finished before 4.00 PM so then I was asked to pay 400 baht for staff overtime. When all was complete I was again sent to customs to pay import duty. I tried not to and debated the point endlessly and produced copies of the regulations for them to read. No matter, I had to pay.

So I finally asked how much?? They told me whatever the percentage is of the value of my things. They asked me what I thought they were worth. So I told them some very small figure and they did not argue. So I paid 2200 baht and it was done.

contact hatayavalee (at) okuraworld.com. they are quite cheap but very helpful.

Edited by soundman
Email address modified per forum rules.

I used asian tigers about 8 years ago. Couldnt speak more highly of them. Door to door brisbane to kalasin. 27 cubic metre. packing unpacking included. AUD 7K.

I think Kiwi shipping were cheaper but didnt have any connections in LOS at the time.

I have heard good stories about Asian Tigers but heard they are expensive. I had a door to door service last September from Sydney to Pattaya. Conroys did the job at the Australian end and they used VANPAC at the Thai end. Cost me under AU $8k all up for a 20 foot container. Didn't unpack at this end as our place wasn't ready. Don't bother with insurance and be very specific about what you want particularly at the Thai end.

You could try Seven Seas Worldwide! I have used them several times now. They bring you a wooden cube of your size choice up to 2.25 metres by 1.45 metres by 1.8 metres high. You load it and they then ship it for you. It takes about 3 months door to port and then they will bring it to your door for an extra 20,000 baht roughly. Customs charge for the large cube is about 10,000 baht this end and the shipping charge is about 50,000 baht. This is based on from the UK. You will need to check if they cover Australia. I would assume so as they are called Seven Seas Worldwide.

mate, when I came here I had 6 boxes shipped over and it was around $750 all up including door to door. Trouble was that it was supposed to take 10 weeks and took closer to 20 weeks and when it arrived a lot of stuff was missing or broken and they refused to do anything about it once I submitted a statement from the place where they picked it up saying how the driver was seen doing donuts in the van and my mate could hear the boxes flying around in the back(it was on a farm). If they dont delete it, it was 7 seas, never use them again (and they are an aussie company)

I used an agent in Bangkok for goods shipped from the UK in December her name is Will she is Thai but speaks better English than me contact her at [email protected] or call her on 0849198899 mention my name Ossie from koh samui as I want to keep in her good books should I ever need her services again they were brilliant give her a call

Yep! Will is good. I used United Relocations for my move from the UK and also for import of good from China.

Note for all:

If you do your move in your wife's name then, providing she has been out of the country for at least a year, as a returning Thai national, personal goods will be duty free.

Also, Davo the OP may benefit from advice about customs duties....I know I would.

Just get my post deleted if you think this is a hi-jack, Davo. Sorry, but I think these are compatible questions.

I shipped 3 Large Boxes of Household goods from Australia Last Year, the shipping costs were very cheap. but cannot remember who I used, total weight was 700KG, I picked up Goods from Bangkok Port Myself. a bit of backwards and forwards

between Customs and Port Authority, No Duty Payable! Just some Tea Money for Customs 2000 Bt, goods were put onto my Pickup for me,

I am shipping some free samples this time of a product to test a Market, so no issues with Customs, I hope!

[/quote

Hi my name is peter , if you know the name of the shipping company that you used in the past or any new one please can you let me know thanks a lot for your message have good day ,,

What a horror story! Why did you not simply contact the Oz company that you paid and get them to sort out the extortionist agent?

There are times that show up as the exceptions, but from what I have read and what I once tried to do with "household items" being shipped here from the US... it seems to me that the hoops that you are made to jump through as well as the Tea Money that you are expected to have to pay and the hassle of shipping anything in the first place ... oh ... just sell the stuff at home and be done with it. It is just 'stuff'. Buy new here and get on with spending that Tea Money on something you actually need and will actually enjoy spending it on!

Hi Davo, I am an aussie ex freight forwarder & very experienced in Oz-Thai shipments, can you plse advise the nature of these proposed samples because I have had previous clients having their goods confiscated or forced to re-export back to Aust by Thai customs in the past.

People seem to think I want to ship Household Goods, but have already done that! without to much fuss. now a want to ship a pallet load of Fence Pickets to Thailand to my house in Issan.

I am only going to ship a small quantity first to find out what Thai Customs do. by Sea Freight.

Don't know where you live in Oz or how much stuff you have, but if you live in Brisbane go and see the Thai consulate there. They are really laid back and will probably give you some useful and cheap ideas. I once shipped several large boxes of household stuff from Timor to Thailand on the deck of a Thai ocean research vessel. It cost a few bottles of red wine only. So shop around for some useful contacts.

It wont matter who you choose, once the goods land in Thailand and the crooks in the shipping officer realise you're a 'thick farang with too much money', they'll charge you again to get your things out of their yard.

Regardless of you waving bona fide documents in the face you'll be met with 'mai kow jai' and be forced to hand over your money.

Business in Thailand is replete with bagmen, pimps, touts and others lacking a moral compass.

Take with you only that you can get on the plane, maybe pay excess baggage if you must. Otherwise tell them nothing.

They are all guilty till proven innocent and treat them that way..keep them at a distance unless you're rutting them

People seem to think I want to ship Household Goods, but have already done that! without to much fuss. now a want to ship a pallet load of Fence Pickets to Thailand to my house in Issan.

I am only going to ship a small quantity first to find out what Thai Customs do. by Sea Freight.

Have a very hard time imagining it would be worth paying to ship such low value:weight ratio goods, even by the full-container load.

And what makes you think things will be consistent from one instance to the next? They won't, it's a roll of the dice every time.

Just do the whole lot at one time, and if the robbers want to much be prepared to abandon them.

• 1 year later...

Don't know where you live in Oz or how much stuff you have, but if you live in Brisbane go and see the Thai consulate there. They are really laid back and will probably give you some useful and cheap ideas. I once shipped several large boxes of household stuff from Timor to Thailand on the deck of a Thai ocean research vessel. It cost a few bottles of red wine only. So shop around for some useful contacts.

Hi...last I heard the Thai Consulate in Brisbane has closed...

whoever you choose you must be sure that your thai shipping agent is not a farang. This is because a farang cannot deal directly with customs in bangkok at the port. He will have to send an employee who will take tea money from you and will not represent your best interests. I would only deal with an experienced thai shipping agent in bangkok if I were you.

You could try Seven Seas Worldwide! I have used them several times now. They bring you a wooden cube of your size choice up to 2.25 metres by 1.45 metres by 1.8 metres high. You load it and they then ship it for you. It takes about 3 months door to port and then they will bring it to your door for an extra 20,000 baht roughly. Customs charge for the large cube is about 10,000 baht this end and the shipping charge is about 50,000 baht. This is based on from the UK. You will need to check if they cover Australia. I would assume so as they are called Seven Seas Worldwide.

Seven Seas Worldwide are in Oz. I used them to move my personal belongings from Medowie near Newcastle to BKK. The process was very smooth. They ask you how many cartons/boxes you need and they deliver those to your front door on an agreed date. Packing tape, paperwork and marker pen included. A week later they picked up the packed goods.

It took three months to get here but they do provide you with a tracking number. My stuff went via Korea. Door to door included in the price which was about AUD100 a carton.

Customs was no hassle as Seven Seas asked me for a copy of my Passport and my non-O visa which they must have used at Customs.

I would use them again if coming from Oz. However sending stuff back to Oz use Thaipost SAL. Very fast and cost effective .

Seven Seas Worldwide are in Oz. I used them to move my personal belongings from Medowie near Newcastle to BKK. The process was very smooth. They ask you how many cartons/boxes you need and they deliver those to your front door on an agreed date. Packing tape, paperwork and marker pen included. A week later they picked up the packed goods.

It took three months to get here but they do provide you with a tracking number. My stuff went via Korea. Door to door included in the price which was about AUD100 a carton.

Customs was no hassle as Seven Seas asked me for a copy of my Passport and my non-O visa which they must have used at Customs.

I would use them again if coming from Oz. However sending stuff back to Oz use Thaipost SAL. Very fast and cost effective .

..many thanks for the advice lujanit. I will contact them for a quote.

regards

-P