Coup watch: Bloody days ahead for Bangkok

webfact

The PhuaThai is NOT hoping for a coup, the shambles they are in is this 'judicial coup' garbage in which 308 MPs are sacked by the 'anti-graft' body NACC for 'voting' to add an amendment to the constitution that would make the upper house fully elected instead of appointed. The US has 27 amendments to the constitution, but in Thailand an amendment to the charter is called 'corruption'.

judicial coup is going to bring the same redshirt backlash as a normal coup, we can only hope that these 'courts' decide to ave some integrity and dismiss these bogus cases piling up against the phuathai.

It's not about what they voted on, but the illegal manner of the voting.

Nothing illegal about it!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Criminals call it a "judicial coup"

Law abiding citizens call it "being held accountable for breaking the law"

Criminals never really did like following the law and when they break it they always have an excuse. Criminals will dismiss them as "bogus cases" simply because they will never admit they did anything wrong.

The law does not bode well with criminals. Criminals hate the courts as well. Not just Thai criminals. Go to a jail in your country and ask some of the criminals what they think of the courts. They won't say the "courts are great" Ask a guilty criminal that hired a flash lawyer and got off his conviction what he thinks of courts. "They are great" "I love the courts" When guilty and proven guilty the PTP demonize the courts. Predictable antics of a criminal. When guilty, but are proven innocent the PTP applaud the courts. Typical antics of a criminal that got off.

If Abhisit is guilty of murder. I certainly won't like the result, but I will respect it. Why? Because I respect the law. That is the fundamental difference. If you don't respect the law in the first place then it should come as no surprise that it will catch up with you.

What law is an elected government breaking when trying to amend the constitution?

Real democrats call it a judicial coup, fascists don't!

The PhuaThai is NOT hoping for a coup, the shambles they are in is this 'judicial coup' garbage in which 308 MPs are sacked by the 'anti-graft' body NACC for 'voting' to add an amendment to the constitution that would make the upper house fully elected instead of appointed. The US has 27 amendments to the constitution, but in Thailand an amendment to the charter is called 'corruption'.

judicial coup is going to bring the same redshirt backlash as a normal coup, we can only hope that these 'courts' decide to ave some integrity and dismiss these bogus cases piling up against the phuathai.

LOL. A real expert in constitutional law, aren't you? In the US, it takes much much more than simply the vote of a corrupt majority in the legislative body to amend the Constitution. So you're absolutely right, doing it the "Thai way" in this case WAS in fact the result of corruption. ....a good example of the reforms Thailand so badly needs.

I think you have to take a closer look at what the NACC and Constitution Court really is..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-awaits-crunch/966218.html

"The status of the Constitutional Court is very controversial," said Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher with New York-based Human Rights Watch."It is a product of a coup in 2006 and acts mainly as a tribunal not a court of justice per se," he said, noting that the government had been "badly crippled" by its rulings.

​A normal court does not throw out a PM because he went on a cooking show, it does not make amending the constitution to make the house fully elected a 'crime' It does not fast track cases in direct response to anti-democracy rioters.

Criminals call it a "judicial coup"

Law abiding citizens call it "being held accountable for breaking the law"

Criminals never really did like following the law and when they break it they always have an excuse. Criminals will dismiss them as "bogus cases" simply because they will never admit they did anything wrong.

The law does not bode well with criminals. Criminals hate the courts as well. Not just Thai criminals. Go to a jail in your country and ask some of the criminals what they think of the courts. They won't say the "courts are great" Ask a guilty criminal that hired a flash lawyer and got off his conviction what he thinks of courts. "They are great" "I love the courts" When guilty and proven guilty the PTP demonize the courts. Predictable antics of a criminal. When guilty, but are proven innocent the PTP applaud the courts. Typical antics of a criminal that got off.

If Abhisit is guilty of murder. I certainly won't like the result, but I will respect it. Why? Because I respect the law. That is the fundamental difference. If you don't respect the law in the first place then it should come as no surprise that it will catch up with you.

What you have said is more proof that the PTP have not completely failed. The ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry in the government and your comments are testimony to that. Well done and I take my hat of to you for saving me the time in having to prove it myself. wai2.gif

Right wingnuts keep talking to themselves about a mythical ministry of propaganda. And it is they who put out a body of propaganda, endlessly, shamelessly promoting fascism.

The Wall Street Journal eviscerates the Democrats and the partisan Constitutional Court, and has some words about judicial coups.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303442704579360272255058790.html?dsk=y

I wonder what the Wall Street Journal thinks of corruption, graft, illegal votes, politicians plotting, and trying their very hardest, to achieve the plundering of the treasury and the return of $1 billion which was legally confiscated by the courts, to a convicted criminal. Show me an article where they support that. Come to think of it, don't bother, who gives a s--t what they think.

Try again then.

Here's one from the libertarian Cato Institute in Washington DC.

Thailand Votes as Thai Democracy Totters

Thailand’s latest poll was triggered by PDRC mobs in Bangkok which sought to drive Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office. Although the protestors wear yellow, associated with the Thai monarchy, they are the modern equivalent of Benito Mussolini’s Black Shirts, who seized power through the infamous 1922 march on Rome.

Thaksin may be a blight upon Thai politics, but Suthep and his allies are a cancer. Unfortunately, in Thailand democracy does not guarantee good government. However, authoritarian, undemocratic rule would be far worse. Suthep’s Black Shirts will bear the primary blame if their nation descends further into violence and disorder

http://www.cato.org/blog/thailand-votes-thai-democracy-totters

• Like 2

There will be no coup.

There are too many "watermelons" in the army that will cause a split within the armed forces and the generals know it.

If there is a coup all Thailand will see and mark these words , is blood on the streets. In 2010 the reds fought for and achieved Democratic elections, they werent fighting to stop people from voting, therein lays the difference. For to long the North and East have been marginalised, not as an minority, rather a majority. They won't let it happen again. 70% of Thailand's military come from these regions, no they would never defect or splinter would they. I hope you all have an emergency plan and packed and ready to go. If there is going to be a civil war as stated as a possibility, no one is going to be too popular. And please don't like this post, this is not written from or driven from ego, rather sadness. Who are we as guests in this great country to be making some really ludicrous comments even on this forum. In America you would have your phone and computer tapped. Hope 2014 can be one of hope for Thailand and not despair for it's wonderful people of all rank and file in general.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Cricketnut

taking a step back, considering how many coups Thailand has already had, I really wonder if one more coup would really be that bad in the big picture, LOL.

Taking a step forward, there was a murderer who after he killed his 20th victim said with lots of laffs the authorities can only hang him once. They did - 20 victims too late however. Not a laughing matter. Seriously.

• Like 1

Who is 'pks', I suspect an American "democracy " at all costs. Certainly conveniently ignores all the facts. Sure Thalami, only moderately wealthy at the time, was elected the first time. He then proceeded to change the rules, installed his family in many important positions and institutions, etc. On top of that bribed voters with direct payments and populist schemes that were ripped off by his cronies and are sending Thailand broke. He couldn't get enough, and still wants it. If he had had the army on his side there would be no democracy, only El Presidente Thaksin.

Unfortunately the army stuffed it up last time and don't have the answers.

The PDRC want to go back too far.

And no fair elections while many top police are corrupt and support and paid by Thaksin.

You say it's not about one man, but his sister wanted to resign and help the process, but he ordered her not too, by her own admission. And he's a convicted criminal.

We need reform, headed by someone, not a politician, who most respect. But who???

Your talking about Thaksin? everything is about this 1 'corrupt' guy.. I don't think so, the PAD/PDRC is a fascist organization, against democracy, they consider the northern Thai's , the ones of Lao and Lanna decent, lesser Thai's and they are enraged that these people get to choose who the PM is because they have more votes, it's a simple as that. They try to turn Thaksin into this bogeyman and make it all about him, it's ballouny , these fascists have a target, and its not 1 guy, its an entire demographic.

"Coup watch: Bloody days ahead for Bangkok"

And for Thailand as a whole.

Both sides are hoping for a coup, so they can get out of the shambles they created.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha is not giving them the pleasure for the moment.

But we never know what the future brings.

ah ah if both sides were hoping for a coup, it would be much easier and avoid this torture to Thai people.

Actually the army is willing to stage a coup, but this time it fears it can 't do it straight like in 2006, it needs an excuse, that's why Suthep is playing their games, just like Sondhi played their games when he took the airports.

Unfortunately Thailand is ridden by such a level of greed that some powerful people with uniform and others without it, are rather willing to put Thai economy to its knees, rather than losing control of it. Since the 1932 revolution, the army has always dominated EVERY aspect of Thailand: land, farming, banks, construction, governments (18 coups), money for weapons ,more weapons and more weapons, TVs, radio stations, and of course the judiciary system, the Courts, and since late 90s its political wing (Un)Democratic Party.

I don't mean to say Thaksin is an angel, but the problems of Thailand have been boling for generations and generations of injustice and corruption (much before he jumped into poltics and even before he was born), he has just exploited part of these injustices.

Why the Dems and the army can't do the same ? Good question, i think the answer is they are too greedy and power thirsty.

yes with Thailand having over 1,200 Generals, 5 times the number of the USA or close to it. They have and are so interwoven into company boards and directors stakeholders or owners it is not funny. People think the leaders or members of the PTP are rich, take a look at some of these Generals. The military, thieves of Thailand since 1932!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

My guess: the Army is just waiting for "enough" blood.

"Only" one victim here or there- that will not do it!

Must I remind you that the last military coup in 2006 was a bloodless coup, not a shot fired and not a drop of blood spilled.

The Thaksin style coup of 2010 resulted in the deaths of over 90 people, countless injuries and billions of baht lost in damages and lost production.

I know what I would prefer.

• Like 1