Coup watch: Bloody days ahead for Bangkok

webfact

Coup watch: Bloody days ahead for Bangkok
Thailand’s dysfunctional politics are setting the stage for more violence in 2014.
Patrick Winn

BANGKOK — When Thailand’s top general speaks of coups, his words are read like tea leaves. Just as US economists decrypt the Federal Reserve chair’s verbiage, the Thai punditry analyzes their army chief’s phrasing down to the last syllable.

Thailand, paranoid over coups even in its best years, has shifted into round-the-clock coup watch.

The nation’s dour military head honcho, Prayuth Chan-ocha, is the man who decides whether the tanks will roll. The general is now so beset by questions over potential plots that he recently snapped at the press.

“Why do you keep asking me so often?” he shot back.

But even that quip was dissected in hopes of glimpsing the general’s inner thoughts. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/thailand/140203/coup-watch-bloody-days-ahead-bangkok

-- globalpost 2014-02-04

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The nation’s dour military head honcho, Prayuth Chan-ocha, is the man who decides whether the tanks will roll. The general is now so beset by questions over potential plots that he recently snapped at the press.

“Why do you keep asking me so often?” he shot back.

But even that quip was dissected in hopes of glimpsing the general’s inner thoughts.

cheesy.gif Priceless.

I think you have to take a closer look at what the NACC and Constitution Court really is..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-awaits-crunch/966218.html

"The status of the Constitutional Court is very controversial," said Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher with New York-based Human Rights Watch."It is a product of a coup in 2006 and acts mainly as a tribunal not a court of justice per se," he said, noting that the government had been "badly crippled" by its rulings.

​A normal court does not throw out a PM because he went on a cooking show, it does not make amending the constitution to make the house fully elected a 'crime' It does not fast track cases in direct response to anti-democracy rioters.

Criminals call it a "judicial coup"

Law abiding citizens call it "being held accountable for breaking the law"

Criminals never really did like following the law and when they break it they always have an excuse. Criminals will dismiss them as "bogus cases" simply because they will never admit they did anything wrong.

The law does not bode well with criminals. Criminals hate the courts as well. Not just Thai criminals. Go to a jail in your country and ask some of the criminals what they think of the courts. They won't say the "courts are great" Ask a guilty criminal that hired a flash lawyer and got off his conviction what he thinks of courts. "They are great" "I love the courts" When guilty and proven guilty the PTP demonize the courts. Predictable antics of a criminal. When guilty, but are proven innocent the PTP applaud the courts. Typical antics of a criminal that got off.

If Abhisit is guilty of murder. I certainly won't like the result, but I will respect it. Why? Because I respect the law. That is the fundamental difference. If you don't respect the law in the first place then it should come as no surprise that it will catch up with you.

What you have said is more proof that the PTP have not completely failed. The ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry in the government and your comments are testimony to that. Well done and I take my hat of to you for saving me the time in having to prove it myself. wai2.gif

I think you have to take a closer look at what the NACC and Constitution Court really is..

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thailand-awaits-crunch/966218.html

"The status of the Constitutional Court is very controversial," said Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher with New York-based Human Rights Watch."It is a product of a coup in 2006 and acts mainly as a tribunal not a court of justice per se," he said, noting that the government had been "badly crippled" by its rulings.

​A normal court does not throw out a PM because he went on a cooking show, it does not make amending the constitution to make the house fully elected a 'crime' It does not fast track cases in direct response to anti-democracy rioters.

Criminals never really did like following the law and when they break it they always have an excuse. Criminals will dismiss them as "bogus cases" simply because they will never admit they did anything wrong.

The law does not bode well with criminals. Criminals hate the courts as well. Not just Thai criminals. Go to a jail in your country and ask some of the criminals what they think of the courts. They won't say the "courts are great" Ask a guilty criminal that hired a flash lawyer and got off his conviction what he thinks of courts. "They are great" "I love the courts" When guilty and proven guilty the PTP demonize the courts. Predictable antics of a criminal. When guilty, but are proven innocent the PTP applaud the courts. Typical antics of a criminal that got off.

If Abhisit is guilty of murder. I certainly won't like the result, but I will respect it. Why? Because I respect the law. That is the fundamental difference. If you don't respect the law in the first place then it should come as no surprise that it will catch up with you.

What you have said is more proof that the PTP have not completely failed. The ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry in the government and your comments are testimony to that. Well done and I take my hat of to you for saving me the time in having to prove it myself. wai2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Now thats like the pot calling the kettle black, the propaganda and BS coming from both sides is like a day time soap opera!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Now thats like the pot calling the kettle black, the propaganda and BS coming from both sides is like a day time soap opera!

The Democrats never had a ministry of propaganda. Glad your enjoying it though. I look forward to a reply from the supporters of "one principle of democracy" with baited breath.

Edited by djjamie

As the " full story " link for this article doesn't function, the snippet presented represents a pretty dated view of what is happening. The chances of a coup - never particularly high - are if anything much less now. The irony - which from an historical perspective - is quite striking. And it is that neither the army, nor the PDRC, actually have to do anything to change the evolving of events. The courts are now picking up the pieces to this drama. There are constitutional challenges stemming from the election itself, to campaign infractions, to the amnesty bill, to the senate bill, and to the rice scheme scandal - all of which hold potential perils for the Yingluck administration. Whatever happens or doesn't happen on the streets will be ultimately rendered moot by the courts.

• Like 1

Oh yea criminals, I'm sure Obama will be deposed because he went on the tonight show, and parliamentarians get sacked for voting for an amendment to the constitution that makes the country more democratic.. these are called criminal acts in Thailand/

Section 113 parts 1 and 2 of the Constitution, thou shall not change Senate. Guess that makes it illegal, Voting in the early hours had nothing to do with the morning papers.