Deportation threat: Indian business chairman Satish to seek justice from Thai court

webfact

So special laws for Indians ?

He was warned like all foregners .

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

You don't live in a country for 55 years and call yourself a foreigner.

Glad to see that you play by the rules and the letter of the law.

You seem to have an opinion on Thai politics... How is your opinion so different from his and how long have you lived here?

Just curious?

Whether he calls himself a foreigner is a non-issue. It is about the facts.

Perhaps, his defense will be that he gets charged local rates at parks and attractions.

Does this scenario have anything to do with why Abhisit the Brit isn't on the stage?

About the facts?

Most of the laws and rules here in place are often not adhered to. Most of it is just made up as they go along.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks. K. Suthep is probably on the phone to his backers right now, getting them to take care of things. K. Suthep breaks laws everyday of the week but nothing ever happens to him so why should this guy be any different... just hope for his sake he isn't up on stage tonight with Suthep... now that would be a really stupid move.

Edited by kkerry

Indian businessman to sue govt on deportation order

By Digital Content

13915855782035.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 5 – Businessman Satish Sehgal, an active anti-government protester, is suing the Centre for Managing Peace and Order (CMPO) which announced his deportation for violating the Emergency Decree.

CMPO declared yesterday that it would instruct the Immigration Bureau to deport Mr Satish.

Mr Satish, an Indian businessman who has lived in Thailand for over 50 years, stood firm that he did not violate the Emergency Decree, as claimed by CMPO.

He joined the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) in its protests against the government but stopped the political activity since the invocation of the Emergency Decree.

He said he was consulting his lawyer to file a lawsuit against CMPO.

PDRC spokesman Akenat Promphan said the contemplated deportation of Mr Satish could jeopardise foreign investment in Thailand.

Meanwhile, PDRC leaders said it would take two more days for the blockaded Rama VIII Road to reopen as protesters have to collect their belongings.

The PDRC earlier agreed to open the bridge to traffic today. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-02-05

Looking at that pic alone you could say he is Thai. Then you have the sue, sue, sue mentality he has the thainess. Then he can get the backing of the Indian media and government to say that one of their own is actually a thai.

Edited by chooka

Having lived in India I like Indians and have worked with them over the years.

The issue is not race but surely foregners defending others breaking the law only makes it worse for the rest of us.

As others note this was not the no crash helmet,the overstay ,minor car incident.

The government specifically reminded foreigners ,anyone here since 2010 let alone 50 years should know. You may disagree with this government or rules but it's force majeure and unlike foreigners the locals will choose who is one of "them".

The case of Chinese is different as anyone who has studied history.

The Tai people themself came from Sipsongpanna / Xishaungbanna Yu nan and then Jin Haw and more recently Hokkien Hakka trades to the Gulf and KMT refugees to the North.

Our Experts here like Camarata can probably confirm that res

Of course as other leading figures know not being Thai or giving loyalty enables individual to avoid military service.I think this person will easily be able to provide such evidence.Our opinion is meaningless the courts will decide and as in most places you get as much justice as youcan afford.

The UK government is proposing removing citizenship from malefactors so place of birth residence is not necesarily insurance against removal.

If length of stay enables immunity I have misunderstood the system I thought having millions was immunity?

Best wishes to the gentleman I hop he has an honest lawyer.I trust his case will deter others.

Even with residency my understanding of translation of PR application it can be revoked if you commit certain crimes.

Not too much related to the Topic... but Why, every time the southern part of Thailand and it's population (around 20%) is always forgotten... What about the Malayo that still represents 10 provinces in the south (Sonkhla, Patthalung, Satun, Trang, Yala, Naratiwatm, Pha Gna, Ranong, Surat and Nakhornan) and the Manni Sakai (ok for Sakai they are only a few 100 left)?? Not only Chinese origins....

Edited by Amir

Indian PCAD Leader Decries Deportation Attempt

BY Khaosod English.

13915827371391582757l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An India-born anti-government protest leader has lashed out at the government's attempt to deport him from Thailand.

Mr. Satit Segal, director of India-Thai business association and a core leader of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), admitted he still possessed Indian passport, and he has not applied for Thai citizenship, but insisted that he has every right to remain on Thai soils.

"I′ve been in Thailand for more than 50 years, since I was 5 year old," Mr. Satit said, "I′m not going anywhere".

He added, "This is my home and my country. I′ve only done good things for the nation".

His comment followed the threat by the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) that the Royal Thai Police have been instructed to deport Mr. Satit on the ground that he is an "illegal alien". CMPO officials alleged that Mr. Satit has violated the Thai laws by joining the anti-government protests despite the enactment of State of Emergency, which - in principle - bans political gathering.

But Mr. Satit claimed he has never joined any demonstration since the emergency decree was announced.

The Indian businessman also stressed that he is loyal to the Thai monarchy, and vowed to seek justice from the court in order to block the effort of his deportation.

"I am consulting my legal advisers right now," Mr. Satit said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UVTRNamN6Tnc9PQ==

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2014-02-05

"insisted that he has every right to remain on Thai soils."

Um if you are not a thai citizen then you have about as much right as Billy from England who has been here 35 yrs or Bruce from Australia who has been here 5 yrs. Billy and Bruce may have family here the same as you but the door will be smacking them in the arse just as hard as it should for you. All foreigners should be treated equally and no special treatment just because you are "Indian"

I am sure the Indian media will jump on this story and claim racism if he is to be or even deported.

I retract pevious, what was based on assumption from other sources. My apologies. Assuming this little lot is also true, of course. There is a si tang reporter infiltrated TV 555. ;)

• Like 1

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

If his birth certificate states he was born out side of Thailand and he has never bothered to be granted Thai citizenship, Surprise he is a Farang, and has no right to become involved in a violent political conflict and defy the laws of your host country!

That my friend is the law of the Thai nation, for all of us Farangs and if we do not want to be kicked out of the country we best abide by the law, which he failed to do! I hope he closes the door on the way out!

Cheers

He can't be a farang, TV resident experts state a farang is someone a western country, typically a white male

Further if you had actually read my post properly, if he is "truely a thai citizen" they can't deport him, but if is not a thai citizen then yes they could

Where he was born is somewhat irrelevant, as using your logic Abhibsit and another certain gentleman who shall remain nameless where born in the UK and US respectively and would have birth certificates from those countries

The key here is what citizenship he currently holds, if only Indian then yes he'd had a problem

He stated he holds an Indian passport, that automatically excludes he has Thai citizenship, as Indian law does not contemplate double citizenship.

isnt there a law, that stipulates, even you are born here, as a foreigner, you dont get thai citizenship if mom/dad is not thai ?

There is now, but believe if someone was born before 1972 to foreigner PR parents then the child would automatically be Thai, I stand to be corrected on the details, but know a couple of people who are Thai citizens ie born in Thailand and both parents are "foreigner's

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

If his birth certificate states he was born out side of Thailand and he has never bothered to be granted Thai citizenship, Surprise he is a Farang, and has no right to become involved in a violent political conflict and defy the laws of your host country!

That my friend is the law of the Thai nation, for all of us Farangs and if we do not want to be kicked out of the country we best abide by the law, which he failed to do! I hope he closes the door on the way out!

Cheers

He can't be a farang, TV resident experts state a farang is someone a western country, typically a white male

Further if you had actually read my post properly, if he is "truely a thai citizen" they can't deport him, but if is not a thai citizen then yes they could

Where he was born is somewhat irrelevant, as using your logic Abhibsit and another certain gentleman who shall remain nameless where born in the UK and US respectively and would have birth certificates from those countries

The key here is what citizenship he currently holds, if only Indian then yes he'd had a problem

He stated he holds an Indian passport, that automatically excludes he has Thai citizenship, as Indian law does not contemplate double citizenship.

Only if he told them of course, I know quite a few Indian citizens running around with 2 passports

• Like 1

He added, "This is my home and my country. I′ve only done good things for the nation".

Being a protest leader for one of the most rotten and ugliest anti democratic movements in recent history wouldn't be what I call a "good thing for the nation".

Silly fool, maybe he should have consulted his layer *before* he decided to get involved instead of after.

• Like 2

Only if he told them of course, I know quite a few Indian citizens running around with 2 passports

I agree, but he clearly stated in many interviews he doesn't have Thai citizenship but he's Thai at heart, that I think does not really matter for Immigration. And well, those with 2 passport would be facing prosecution in their country, but that's another story.

Edited by newcomer71

Cheers

He is not a farang, he is from India

The so called correct term would be kaek

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Stupid CMPO. Details, details. I wouldn't mess with the chairman of the business association. Threatening him with deportation will just ioen a can of worms. He represents a lot of investment for Thailand and although he may not hold a Thai passport, he and his family have been good standing residents and/or citizens. From a damage control standpoint the Thai government just continues to waste time, energy and money for the wrong reasons. Idiots.

India has a strange approach to dual nationality, allowing with those who become citizens of (mainly) western countries. Thailand isn't on the list, so in this case, India will insist it is one or another.

Stupid CMPO. Details, details. I wouldn't mess with the chairman of the business association. Threatening him with deportation will just ioen a can of worms. He represents a lot of investment for Thailand and although he may not hold a Thai passport, he and his family have been good standing residents and/or citizens. From a damage control standpoint the Thai government just continues to waste time, energy and money for the wrong reasons. Idiots.

What you say is a clear double standard. If he is important don't mess with him... So then let's not complain about corruption...

• Like 2

isnt there a law, that stipulates, even you are born here, as a foreigner, you dont get thai citizenship if mom/dad is not thai ?

There is now, but believe if someone was born before 1972 to foreigner PR parents then the child would automatically be Thai, I stand to be corrected on the details, but know a couple of people who are Thai citizens ie born in Thailand and both parents are "foreigner's

There are a few well known foreigners in bangkok born before this time. I think its a hold over from a time.of war and refugees where thailand was scared to be overrun.

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

Can you please prove to us that he is not a Thai citizen?
No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

Citizens, can be deported. You are confusing a citizen with a national.

My wife is now an Australian citizen, but if she broke the law she could be deported back to Thailand.

I don't care if this guy stays or goes and am not choosing sides, just clarifying a point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ridiculous contention.

The USA embassy write something from 6000iles away and they get told to f'off and stop interfering.

But because he is a "khon dee",,everyone must bow and scrape. It is precisely this dual nature of the legal system that is the problem.

The clever thing would be to change the law to confer more rights on long stayers.

The stupid thing with this witch hunt and the other one against the monk is that all its going to do is start firing people again, not that it matters anyway because if the PTP doesn't get some money for the rice farmers, the PTP is toast anyway

• Like 1

If the courts decide that standing on stage speaking on economics and not protesting in being against the Govt then is he not like a newspaper being read but people hear his voice. if you follow my drift then the Govt declaring it is unlawful to speak out could backfire on them. I do agree that all foreigners warned not to join the protest but if one does not protest but provide information that is readily available then does he have a case.

i think that India not accepting dual nationalty made him choose India as being his first priority not Thailand for business reasons

Can you please prove to us that he is not a Thai citizen?
No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.
Citizens, can be deported. You are confusing a citizen with a national.

My wife is now an Australian citizen, but if she broke the law she could be deported back to Thailand.

I don't care if this guy stays or goes and am not choosing sides, just clarifying a point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your confused, a citizen can't be deported for breaking the law, however under certain circumstances they can be stripped of citizenship and deported but this takes a court order and you need to have done something very bad...ie treason, terrorism etc

Once some one has citizenship of a country you are afforded all the same rights as a "national"

• Like 1

If the courts decide that standing on stage speaking on economics and not protesting in being against the Govt then is he not like a newspaper being read but people hear his voice. if you follow my drift then the Govt declaring it is unlawful to speak out could backfire on them. I do agree that all foreigners warned not to join the protest but if one does not protest but provide information that is readily available then does he have a case.

i think that India not accepting dual nationalty made him choose India as being his first priority not Thailand for business reasons

I think so.

If he gets hold of some good lawyers and he will, this will be an interesting case. Is it illegal for me to tell my wife my opinion?

How about writing on here or to the Nation? Is the government inviolable?

thumbsup.gif

Indian PCAD Leader Decries Deportation Attempt

BY Khaosod English.

13915827371391582757l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An India-born anti-government protest leader has lashed out at the government's attempt to deport him from Thailand.

Mr. Satit Segal, director of India-Thai business association and a core leader of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), admitted he still possessed Indian passport, and he has not applied for Thai citizenship, but insisted that he has every right to remain on Thai soils.

"I′ve been in Thailand for more than 50 years, since I was 5 year old," Mr. Satit said, "I′m not going anywhere".

His comment followed the threat by the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) that the Royal Thai Police have been instructed to deport Mr. Satit on the ground that he is an "illegal alien". CMPO officials alleged that Mr. Satit has violated the Thai laws by joining the anti-government protests despite the enactment of State of Emergency, which - in principle - bans political gathering.

But Mr. Satit claimed he has never joined any demonstration since the emergency decree was announced.

The Indian businessman also stressed that he is loyal to the Thai monarchy, and vowed to seek justice from the court in order to block the effort of his deportation.

"I am consulting my legal advisers right now," Mr. Satit said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UVTRNamN6Tnc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-05

"insisted that he has every right to remain on Thai soils."

Um if you are not a thai citizen then you have about as much right as Billy from England who has been here 35 yrs or Bruce from Australia who has been here 5 yrs. Billy and Bruce may have family here the same as you but the door will be smacking them in the arse just as hard as it should for you. All foreigners should be treated equally and no special treatment just because you are "Indian"

I am sure the Indian media will jump on this story and claim racism if he is to be or even deported.

I retract pevious, what was based on assumption from other sources. My apologies. Assuming this little lot is also true, of course. There is a si tang reporter infiltrated TV 555. wink.png

My friend you have probably gained great respect from a lot of people on T.V for that statement and I clap2.gif you. You definitely got my respect and seem like an honest person and you can hold your head high my friend. Most backpedal and throw up more <deleted>.

P.S Don't let this go to your head because we may still have a difference of opinions on subjects but that is the nature of a forumthumbsup.gif

Edited by chooka

This is the same guy who at the start of the Red shirt protest argued they had no right to take to the street in a business district like Silom and proceeded to set up a rival stage telling them to go home. Fast forward and he's not only wanting to shutdown Bangkok but delivers speeches with protest leaders blink.png The whole thing is petty but can't say he hasn't been begging for it.

Edited by firestar

So you are saying he is powerful and one of the elite so let him be? The same goes for the redbull guy. don't interfere with the upper class let them do as they want, who cares if they are involved in corruption, who care if they are involved in criminal activity. Don't rock the boat