Former Thai Finance Minister Pridiyathorn calls Yingluck a failed government

webfact

The anti-govt mob are getting increasingly desperate, what with the ongoing run of appalling press the protesters and the Dems are getting internationally, the collapsing numbers etc. It ain't worked and mild panic is setting in.

I would not think for a minute that anyone is panicking among the protesters. They know they are near their victory.

The government are very near to collapse. Everyone is against them now, apart from the few farmers in the north and northeast who were paid last time round (luckily) But even their support has dwindled there by around 30%.

The rice scheme has to be called off very soon which will lose even that little support, and the NACC is possibly only a couple of weeks away from indictments which will rock the government when Yingluck and some of her ministers is arrested.

The election will be voided by default as their mandate will only be around 20% of the electorate once the remaining constituencies are all completed their ballots with probably over 90% no vote across the board.

I would not say that a mild panic was setting in, I would say that a massive feeling of terror is setting in, with the government that is, and the protesters??,,,,,, Well, they are partying every night and lapping all this up on a daily basis.

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another wealthy aristocrat against democracy. What a surprise.

It must be your form of democracy then.

Yes. The old-fashioned kind, with elections and majority rule.

Just my opinion. Right now Thailand doesn't have a democratic system. Under Thaksin, Thailand had an elected autocracy which has now transitioned to an elected plutocracy.

In the context of Thailand this quote from Thatcher is apt.

"There is little hope for democracy if the hearts of men and women in democratic societies cannot be touched by a call to something greater than themselves"

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

It seems that the yellow side knows how to pick its champions: Suthep as the upholder of good governance and probity, and Pridiyathorn as the arbiter of sound finances. As the Finance Minister appointed after by 2006 coup by General Surayud Chulanont, his record during his year and a bit in government was very mixed. Economic growth was curtailed as Thaksin’s dual track (exports and domestic consumption) strategy was ended, a substantial budget deficit appeared, private investment fell, and capital controls had a negative impact.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IF20Ae01.html

Of course, the farmers lost their rice subsidy and other populist projects such as the million cows project and the village development scheme were phased out, so I suppose in that respect Prodiyathorn has stayed true to his principles. Probably the usual suspects on TVF yearn for a return to those halcyon days back in 2006-08.

The point,is, while the world economy slowly rebounds, Asia moves forward, in the past two years Thailand has gone backwards. Before you say it, it wouldn't be so bad if Suthep didn't burst on the scene, but the economy was going backward before Suthep. He didn't start the spiral and he isn't the reason why Thailand is no longer the world's # 1 rice exporter. He had nothing to do with the numerous failed programs and neither has Pridiyathorn, but for some of the usual suspects, they continue to look for someone to blame For Thailand's failed government, apart of course from those actually running the failed government.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Kikoman you say

Hang tight, Yingluck you have much support in the country!

I think you are soo wrong. With every day that passes a new scandal appears that YL and her party has caused. I am impatial to both sides however it Is becoming increasingly clear that this gov run by YL and the PTP has done nothing but help only a few (mostly the rich who support her) and the northerners (farmerd included).

To the rest of Thailand. YL and the PTP have done immense damage to the rest of the people. To their faith in their leaders. To the banking association and to the worlds overall view of this country.

Her continued presence as PM will bring Thailand to its knees.

I dont agree with Sutheps ideals and am at a loss how this country will ever recover from the damage caused by thiS administration. But Somethibg needs to be done to fix all the problems created by this gov. AND SOON before its too late

Get her out !!! ASAP.... 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

I have been following Thai Politics for some 20 years, especially since coming to live here from 1997.

In 1995 I was on holiday here for 4 months and there was a National Election being held. The first impression was from the photos of the standing candidates all around Bangkok. Every one looked like they had served in several armies.... medals, ribbons, swords, gold braid every where. I really thought that they all were top officers from the Thai forces. Asked and was told no, mostly ex Government officers... Education, Health, ETC.

Then the new poster boy showed up... Taskin, he wanted to be in Government to use his superior IT knowledge to rid Bangkok of it's traffic problems. He was a' self made' man worth many Billions, and had contacts world wide to help him.

The media jumped to his side, How he came from nothing, how his Father was a coffee shop owner in the Chaing Mai Markets and was 'poor' as such. He duly got into Government and set about the traffic problem, flying above Bangkok with traffic officials to monitor the traffic. I seem to recall he actually bought a helicopter for the Thai Traffic police. His image and spin was first class.

Then he said He could not actually solve the traffic woes, and I thought then he was into things he did not know about. His image crashed somewhat when photographed drinking a bottle of French wine in a side bet with another Politician. The bottle was worth 130000 b.

Once he got full control as PM. he really showed his true colors. Thailand became a divisive society,and he lead the division with outbursts and his favorite weapon,, sue, sue, sue any one who showed up to him.

He threatened to sue Ajahn Maha Bua one of the most respected Monks ever to have lived here, but case was withdrawn after The King indirectly advised against such legal action in his birthday speech.

RE. look at this link to Ajarn Maha Bua wikipedia. org to read further.

What Maha Bua was saying back in 2005 has come to pass and still this man Taskin plagues his Country from afar, to scared to show his face, yet can go to Cambodia and strut his stuff, treat his Sister with contempt.... 'the Caddie',and all the other woes he has given Thailand, and daily continues to divide Thailand.

I can not think of any other country in the world that has let a person do so much damage to it, as Thailand has been done, by this man.The cronies he has about him are all from the same mold, and just carry out the orders like demented children.

The future for Thailand and it's people has been done so much harm with this man's total greed and lack of respect for others. SAD SAD SAD

BAYBOY

Failed ...

How about failed fake ...

Edited by scorecard

Kikoman you say

I think you are soo wrong. With every day that passes a new scandal appears that YL and her party has caused. I am impatial to both sides however it Is becoming increasingly clear that this gov run by YL and the PTP has done nothing but help only a few (mostly the rich who support her) and the northerners (farmerd included).

To the rest of Thailand. YL and the PTP have done immense damage to the rest of the people. To their faith in their leaders. To the banking association and to the worlds overall view of this country.

I dont agree with Sutheps ideals and am at a loss how this country will ever recover from the damage caused by thiS administration. But Somethibg needs to be done to fix all the problems created by this gov. AND SOON before its too late

I don't disagree that YL and the PTP has done a lot of damage to the country. The rice pledging scheme was poorly thought out and badly misjudged how the global rice market works. The tablet scheme is really Disneyland stuff.

But if you are impartial like you said, you must also agree that this pro-reform before elections movement has equally done a lot of damage, especially in the eyes of the international community. Preventing registration of candidates, preventing elections by both vocal and physical means, holding a legal govt to hostage etc etc.

Reform by all means. I doubt if there is anyone who would say that Thailand does not need reform. But do it legally, within the confines of the law (some posters will probably try to counter by saying that the protests are legal, the CC says so but I think most reasonable people know differently). Do it in parliament, do it at the ballot box. Don't do it by making the country a laughing stock.

Worse of all, these protests are setting a very dangerous precedent. If Suthep's reform movement achieves it's goals, nothing will stop the pro-PT supporters from doing the same if not worse. If the supposedly educated supports unlawful activities, think how much worse it would get if the less educated decided to take the law into their own hands.

I think the PTP supporters already have sufficient experience in unlawful activities, just look back to 2010.

Kikoman you say

I don't disagree that YL and the PTP has done a lot of damage to the country. The rice pledging scheme was poorly thought out and badly misjudged how the global rice market works. The tablet scheme is really Disneyland stuff.

But if you are impartial like you said, you must also agree that this pro-reform before elections movement has equally done a lot of damage, especially in the eyes of the international community. Preventing registration of candidates, preventing elections by both vocal and physical means, holding a legal govt to hostage etc etc.

Reform by all means. I doubt if there is anyone who would say that Thailand does not need reform. But do it legally, within the confines of the law (some posters will probably try to counter by saying that the protests are legal, the CC says so but I think most reasonable people know differently). Do it in parliament, do it at the ballot box. Don't do it by making the country a laughing stock.

Worse of all, these protests are setting a very dangerous precedent. If Suthep's reform movement achieves it's goals, nothing will stop the pro-PT supporters from doing the same if not worse. If the supposedly educated supports unlawful activities, think how much worse it would get if the less educated decided to take the law into their own hands.

... where the PT dominates and cuts short all and any opposing voice and arranges for last minutes secret changes of bills and arranges votes at 4:25 am with massive vote rigging?

Is that the parliament you have in mind? Is that the democracy we should defend? Thanks, but not thanks.

• Like 1

So we have a failed former finance minister giving advice? cheesy.gif

I have to admit the last 8yrs of comedy in thailand is wearing thin, but I expect many more laughs coming our way. whistling.gif

The comment was its a failed government. Instead of taking easy shots, which newbies could do, as an experienced denizen, how would you evaluate the current caretaker government?

• Like 2

Kikoman you say

I think the PTP supporters already have sufficient experience in unlawful activities, just look back to 2010.

In 2010, the red shirts called on the then govt to dissolve parliament and to hold elections.

In 2014, the conditions are completely different. The red shirts are already in power. Surely you understand that if "their" govt is overthrown by dubious means, the retaliation will make 2010 look like a picnic (for the record, I hope that I'm wrong)

• Like 1

Kikoman you say

... where the PT dominates and cuts short all and any opposing voice and arranges for last minutes secret changes of bills and arranges votes at 4:25 am with massive vote rigging?

Is that the parliament you have in mind? Is that the democracy we should defend? Thanks, but not thanks.

I didn't realise there was massive vote rigging. If you meant vote buying, that argument had been done to death.

I didn't realise there was massive vote rigging. If you meant vote buying, that argument had been done to death.

I think dominique is referring to the PTP MPs that voted multiple times using other MPs ID cards. Dodgy, but not massive.

Don't kill the messenger. Read his letter.

I did. If he really cared about Thailand he'd be sending it to Suthep. He's the primary enemy Thailand needs to face right now. The rice scam is a massive mess, made worse by what's happening now, but somehow the country will get through it. What it won't get through is the destruction of the democracy to benefit the elite privileged grouping this aristocratic failed finance minister represents. Given his past, should any country really take his advice?

I understand your point. Some of those people don't seem very trustful. On the other side, I don't see how the country will get through the mess of the rice scam (and other scams), because YL never wants to acknowledge mistakes and always blames the others.

What it really needs to try and solve this is a working government, not one kneecapped by the self-serving demands of a scumbag like Suthep. I tend to agree she needs to listen more and there are few signs that she's doing enough of that yet. That said, reporting on Reuters last week was quite clear that she was no longer cow-towing to her brother and she's increasingly her own person. Given the vast amount of external money invested in Thailand I imagine there are all sorts of hefty discussions going on here that we don't know about, involving global players.

She also seems to have garnered some international respect for the calm determination she's shown in recent months - although the "man in Dubai" chanters would never be able to grasp that.

Sorry? Why was she towing cows? And what with?

By the way, she kowtows to just about everyone.

• Like 1

I did. If he really cared about Thailand he'd be sending it to Suthep. He's the primary enemy Thailand needs to face right now. The rice scam is a massive mess, made worse by what's happening now, but somehow the country will get through it. What it won't get through is the destruction of the democracy to benefit the elite privileged grouping this aristocratic failed finance minister represents. Given his past, should any country really take his advice?

I understand your point. Some of those people don't seem very trustful. On the other side, I don't see how the country will get through the mess of the rice scam (and other scams), because YL never wants to acknowledge mistakes and always blames the others.

What it really needs to try and solve this is a working government, not one kneecapped by the self-serving demands of a scumbag like Suthep. I tend to agree she needs to listen more and there are few signs that she's doing enough of that yet. That said, reporting on Reuters last week was quite clear that she was no longer cow-towing to her brother and she's increasingly her own person. Given the vast amount of external money invested in Thailand I imagine there are all sorts of hefty discussions going on here that we don't know about, involving global players.

She also seems to have garnered some international respect for the calm determination she's shown in recent months - although the "man in Dubai" chanters would never be able to grasp tha..

suphep is a scumbag..bit nasty isnt it,,fair enough..so is your wife not nice is it..wai2.gif

Well, this Chinese bureaucrat has done very well as a bureaucrat, 'Despite working in the civil service for over 25 years, Pridiyathorn is tremendously wealthy. Disclosures to the National Counter Corruption Commission revealed that 30 days after leaving his Cabinet position in March 2007, Pridiyathorn had 730 million baht in assets, a slight drop from 754 million baht when he took office in October 2006. His wife Praphaphan has a net worth of 283 million baht, while his daughter Pudjeep has 7 million baht.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridiyathorn_Devakula

• Like 2

I find his statements very self serving or "Suthep" serving, it is of the utmost importance that Yingluck remain PM until after the official announced vote is made public.

If she is not wanting to continue as head of state inform her party before the appointment of a vote for the new PM!

Democracy in Thailand needs her, to survive the onslaught of the rich elites plans to take over with a Undemocratic unelected government with the backing of the military.. The only way that can happen (without a coup) if she resigns, and causes a "power vacuum" that can be exploited by the fascist!

Peace

Nothing to do with Suthep (yes, he's a clown), but everything to do with YL's own ineptitude and Mis-handling, and the result should be her removal. Bottom line.

It would seem the pro-Shinawatra posters are desperate to divert attention away.

• Like 1

Can someone enlighten my in what party he is or was ?

Then I will understand more

One of the founding members of PAD, aka the Yellow Shirts.

He is the son of HSH Prince Priditheppong Devakula and was closely associated with the last military junta. He has an estimated net worth in excess of 1 billion baht, making him a member of the top tier of Thailand's wealthiest people.

He is the finance minister that gave Thailand its first budget deficit in 2007, after successive years of surplus since 2003. His track record includes a failed attempt at strengthening the baht that cost Thailand, the imposition of ownership controls on companies and alleged conflicts of interest arising from sitting on company boards while finance minister.

He is a proud man, intelligent man with an ego to match. I Iike the chap because he is a bit of a free spirit doing and saying what he wants. It is a luxury, only the rich and well placed have in Thailand.

• Like 2

The man is a highly respected figure within the international financial community and as such his comments will and do carry weight.

Yinglucks ineptitude is due to her brothers manipulation of what passes for her though process and subsequently the policies implemented are designed to enrich the Shinwatra family not the country.

The sooner this woman and that odious creature her brother depart from the Thai political scene (and hopefully Thailand too) the better for both Thailand and the Thai people.

Never have so many been screwed by so few.

Funny after reading the WIKI link I got the sense it was one scoundrel calling another scoundrel a scoundrel. Not so highly respected

as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

He's right. The situation is beyond dire for this administration and the country. Investment is indeed going through a steady exodus, the financial underpinnings have appeared to collapse, and the inner-workings of the administration that are now being exposed through the NACC's investigation have capsized investor confidence, coupled with the collapse of the rice scheme, coupled with the collapse of the rice industry itself, coupled with the protests on the streets, coupled with the debacle of the election, and last but not least, coupled with the administration being stripped of all power, and frozen in incapacity, and without any credible pathway to shift out of that for now or in the foreseeable future. And then there are the impeachment proceedings and constitutional challenges facing it, including the amnesty bill, the senate bill, the rice scandal, and the emergency decree. For all these reasons, he's right.

The situation is indeed dire for the country, for all the reasons that you have mentioned. But we have arrived to this point not purely because of YL and PTP. Suthep's actions have played a big part as well. So I would say that all are equally to blame.

It takes two to tango after all.

So the wheels of government are coming off?

You reap what you sow.

Let's see who hurts the most?

The scammers or the scammed.

Progress or the tied system.

You, Thais, decide.

My money, my business, exists so long as the tourists/farang come.

I vote they keep coming.

He is the son of HSH Prince Priditheppong Devakula and was closely associated with the last military junta. He has an estimated net worth in excess of 1 billion baht, making him a member of the top tier of Thailand's wealthiest people.

He is the finance minister that gave Thailand its first budget deficit in 2007, after successive years of surplus since 2003. His track record includes a failed attempt at strengthening the baht that cost Thailand, the imposition of ownership controls on companies and alleged conflicts of interest arising from sitting on company boards while finance minister.

He is a proud man, intelligent man with an ego to match. I Iike the chap because he is a bit of a free spirit doing and saying what he wants. It is a luxury, only the rich and well placed have in Thailand.

These days more suited to coverage in Thailand Tatler than the news. In the current issue, I'm not sure if he's in the photo coverage of the Issara wedding (page 86), but Abhisit, Suthep and Phonphan are all in it

The man is a highly respected figure within the international financial community and as such his comments will and do carry weight.

No he's not - quite the opposite. He trashed the SET with his mishandling and was removed under grey circumstances.

Just one quote from that wiki:

Pridiyathorn instituted capital controls to attempt to reverse a strengthening of the baht, but reversed the measure after the Thai stock market crashed, destroying US$20 billion of market value in one day. Pridiyathorn later noted that “This was not a mistake. Measures always have side effects. Once we knew the side effects, we quickly fixed it.... Just one day of stocks falling is not considered much damage.”[11] He came under harsh criticism. Bratin Sanyal, head of Asian equity investments at ING in Hong Kong noted, "The one thing worse than an incompetent central bank is an incompetent central bank that flip-flops." Catherine Tan, head of Asia Emerging Markets at Forecast in Singapore, noted, "They are proving themselves to be very unprofessional. Their actions are very irresponsible. They have totally lost credibility... I don't see foreigners returning to Thailand any time in the near future. Markets now have no confidence in the government."[12] The Export-Import Bank of Thailand also criticized the capital controls.

The international financial community have already made their feelings known via publications like WSJ, Forbes and the FT, all of which slaughtered Suthep and the Dems this week.

Hats off to him though in trying to go after Sondhi and his ex CFO rewarded the post as CEO of Sondhi's creditor and bank who forgave his 1.6 billion baht debt, £32 million!!!!

"In 2004, the state-owned Krung Thai Bank (KTB) shocked Thailand's financial world by reclassifying approximately 40 billion baht as problem loans. Pridiyathorn threatened to fire KTB chief executive officer Viroj Nualkhair if he did not resign. Viroj was a former financial advisor to media proprietor Sondhi Limthongkul, having helped him make the initial public offering one of his first companies.[3] As Krung Thai Bank head, Viroj had forgiven 1.6 billion baht of Sondhi's debts and arranged for further rounds of forgiveness. Using all his media outlets, Sondhi attacked Pridiyathorn and defended Viroj.

Viroj was eventually forced to leave Krung Thai Bank. Sondhi's public criticism of Thaksin started to increase, eventually leading to the establishment of the People's Alliance for Democracy. This was a factor behind the September 2006 coup.[4]"

Nil points though if:

"Despite working in the civil service for over 25 years, Pridiyathorn is tremendously wealthy. Disclosures to the National Counter Corruption Commission revealed that 30 days after leaving his Cabinet position in March 2007, Pridiyathorn had 730 million baht in assets, a slight drop from 754 million baht when he took office in October 2006. His wife Praphaphan has a net worth of 283 million baht, while his daughter Pudjeep has 7 million baht.[26]Despite working in the civil service for over 25 years, Pridiyathorn is tremendously wealthy. Disclosures to the National Counter Corruption Commission revealed that 30 days after leaving his Cabinet position in March 2007, Pridiyathorn had 730 million baht in assets, a slight drop from 754 million baht when he took office in October 2006. His wife Praphaphan has a net worth of 283 million baht, while his daughter Pudjeep has 7 million baht.[26]"

Examples of high-ups malfeance and can you trust what they say?

I think dominique is referring to the PTP MPs that voted multiple times using other MPs ID cards. Dodgy, but not massive.

I see. I must have missed this. Was it on TV?

What's happening now is people are waking up to the complete incompetence of the current government. It reveals that the rice scheme which was supposed to help farmers was really to benefit the privilaged group inside the PT heirarchy. Given their past performance why shouldn't Thais call for the PM's resignation?

These days more suited to coverage in Thailand Tatler than the news. In the current issue, I'm not sure if he's in the photo coverage of the Issara wedding (page 86), but Abhisit, Suthep and Phonphan are all in it

Ahhh. Thailand Tatler

The ultimate advertisement for hair spray and whitening products. How they perfect that madame Tussaud's appearance so effortlessly, God knows.

• Like 1

I find his statements very self serving or "Suthep" serving, it is of the utmost importance that Yingluck remain PM until after the official announced vote is made public.

If she is not wanting to continue as head of state inform her party before the appointment of a vote for the new PM!

Democracy in Thailand needs her, to survive the onslaught of the rich elites plans to take over with a Undemocratic unelected government with the backing of the military.. The only way that can happen (without a coup) if she resigns, and causes a "power vacuum" that can be exploited by the fascist!

Peace

Khun Thaksin?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app