Laos

draggons

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theblether did a slow boat trip down the Mekong to LP. He had some great pics, posted in SE Asia forum. I'm planning similar trip, 3-4 days in LP in April...gotta escape Songkran in CM!!

Cheers Rob. All information gratefully accepted. wai.gif

YES, its a great place to psend some time, was there last July

Luang Namtha, Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Veng Vieng, Vientainne

year before hit Muang Sing and savanakhet as well

IF ur going during holidays BOOK IN ADVANCE LP fills up,

I stayed at Alounsavath GH on the river last year ( had room #2 for 3 nights) paid $25/night

Beautiful rooms and breakfast on the river.

good for 3-4 days

http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p348797983

The alms giving in the morning is not as great as they make it up to be, lots of people selling and reselling food for the monks. They turned an old tradition into a tourist attraction. Few years back it got to the point they monks wanted to stop but the authorities told them if they did they would dress up locals to make the rounds. ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks Richard. wai.gif

Found the Blethers thread smile.png Whatever happened to Theblether?

The daft beggar got himself banned. I know we can't discuss such things, but I think he did it on purpose.... He was too savvy to say something out of line by accident. I wouldn't be surprised if he is back lurking somewhere (again)

...........Ironically, I have just finished making bookings for a trip down the Mekong from Huai Xai to LP where we'll spend 4 nights in April.... booked into the Villa Chitchareune, based on info in Booking.com. There should be a photo blizzard when I get back...and the usual nonsensical blog, of course.

I was determined to escape all the water fights of Songkran in CM....so where better to be than on the Mekong crazy.gif

When are you heading there, Draggons?

Edited by Rob8891

...........Ironically, I have just finished making bookings for a trip down the Mekong from Huai Xai to LP where we'll spend 4 nights in April.... booked into the Villa Chitchareune, based on info in Booking.com. There should be a photo blizzard when I get back...and the usual nonsensical blog, of course.

I was determined to escape all the water fights of Songkran in CM....so where better to be than on the Mekong crazy.gif

Heading up there on the 17th untill the 22nd this month. quite looking forward to going smile.png

Heading up there on the 17th untill the 22nd this month. quite looking forward to going smile.png

Ah rats! You'll be bagging all the good angles two months before I get there!! tongue.png

Hi Rob, I'm not so sure you'll miss the water festival...

It was a few years since I was in Luang Purbang but they played Songkran there also.

Expect to be smeared with white paint and some kind of oily black substance which turned out to be soap proof.

It seemed a good idea to join in at the time until I showered and no matter how much I scrubbed the dam stuff just wouldn't come off! xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

PS. take the slow boat for sure, you'll understand why when you hear the longtails coming and see what fun the passengers are having all huddled together with their crash helmets on facepalm.gif (that's if they're still running!)

• Like 1

Hi Rob, I'm not so sure you'll miss the water festival...

It was a few years since I was in Luang Purbang but they played Songkran there also.

Expect to be smeared with white paint and some kind of oily black substance which turned out to be soap proof.

It seemed a good idea to join in at the time until I showered and no matter how much I scrubbed the dam stuff just wouldn't come off! xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

PS. take the slow boat for sure, you'll understand why when you hear the longtails coming and see what fun the passengers are having all huddled together with their crash helmets on facepalm.gif (that's if they're still running!)

oops sorry, posted twice!

Edited by C4Chilli

Thanks C4C, I'm expecting some sort of Songkran, but draw the line at being forced to ingest moat-water in CM. It laid Theblether low for a week last year....he could s**t through the eye of a needle at 50 paces, poor beggar bah.gif Songkran was sheer mayhem here, so I am betting almost anywhere is better than here.....but with the black stuff, ...ermm.gif

FracturedRabbit... Thanks for the Tak Bak photos. Excellent! wai.gif A great blog too!

• 3 weeks later...

Been there twice, once by road from Vientiane several years ago, the hills were bare of trees as far as you could see and the hill tribe people were camped on the roadside by water tanks provided by the UN, very sad.

Followed the monks after they had been past all the tables and they went round the block and did it all again for the faithful, or tourists.

Take a boat ride up the river to the cliff temple.

Second time passed through on the way down from the far north, stayed in a cheap place on the same road as the monks do their thing.

Try some of the big hot dog, hamburger things in a long bun a roi mak.

Last trip we did was to the Bolaven Plateau and 4000 islands, The plateau on rent Motorcy and the islands on songtau and boat.

On the way back we crossed the river to the Wat Phu Temple remains, well worth the trip.

post-12069-0-87175700-1393506317_thumb.j

There is a new road from there back to the border crossing, by songtau.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We went to Laos to escape the madness of Songkran in CM....ermm.gif ....... well, we escaped CM ......!

(Taken on my mobile phone. I hate using that thing for photos, but some idiot forget to pack his camera battery charger

14014771783_99d5d8cb00_b.jpg

• Like 2

We awere also pretty keen to get away from the poor air quality that we've been having in CM...... This was on the Mekong, somewhere between Huay Xai and Pak Beng

14014789213_c2ab2cea8f_b.jpg

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This Laos thread seems to have gon into hibernation....so unless anyone objects, Over the course of the next few days / weeks, I'll post some of the photos from the trip we did a month or two back, with a little commentary here and there. If there are any objections (since the forum is basically photography in Thailand), or if I am in breach of any rulles, please PM me and I will desist. In the meantime, here we go....

I may as well start with a shot in Thailand (as usual for me, from a bouncing tuktuk) This is the approach to the new Friendship Bridge between Chiang Khong and Huay Xai.

14339935973_e521e53acf_b.jpg

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

Goint through Thai Immigration was a hoot...We were even asked to fill out a questionnaire that asked about how well dressed the official was, and did he smile...tongue.png

Then we were through and took another tuktuk to the Laos side.. here it is....same same but facing the other way!...and yes, it was taken from the back of a lurching Laos tuktuk...

14133100319_7b726218bf_b.jpg

Edited by Rob8891

We (me, Mrs Rob and two of our friends) booked into a hotel in Huay Xai, to catch the slowboat the next morning. It' was an intersting place...no two stair risers were the same height, and the teak floors undulated amazingly. (It reminded me of the Fun House at Skegness.....) The rules were in keeping with the rest of the hotel.....

14296600706_8c43195c55_b.jpg

Next morning, we took an early walk up to the Wat at the top of the hill, before going in search of the slow boat to LP. if you go to Huay Xai, I'd suggest a quick temple trip - there are good views from there.

Mrs Rob (right) and friend

14319101494_4c2f5e01ee_b.jpg

14133137120_0f6ed317f7_b.jpg

14133219567_8c42fe3a6c_b.jpg

After yet another tuktuk ride, we reached the boat.

I missed a great photo op when four guys took a motorbike (or was it vice-versa?) down these steps and onto the boat. It was jaw-dropping!

14319105444_d64f657674_b.jpg

We got settled in...the seats are numbered, but everyone shuffles the numbers round to get the seat they want....In addition, the seats aren't bolted to the deck w00t.gif . Mrs R was not looking forward to the prospect of two days at sea....

14133090658_3463214eb6_b.jpg

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

We (me, Mrs Rob and two of our friends) booked into a hotel in Huay Xai, to catch the slowboat the next morning. It' was an intersting place...no two stair risers were the same height, and the teak floors undulated amazingly. (It reminded me of the Fun House at Skegness.....) The rules were in keeping with the rest of the hotel.....

14296600706_8c43195c55_b.jpg

Great Stuff Rob!!! I see rule # 5 hasn't changed...hah!

• Like 1