New Cycling Track Set to Take Off at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Jonathan Fairfield

My friends go there on a regular basis. They say there are several hundred cyclists at dusk. They love the setup.

The report says that the track is not finished yet and should be open in the next month or so.

My friends go there on a regular basis. They say there are several hundred cyclists at dusk. They love the setup.

The report says that the track is not finished yet and should be open in the next month or so.

Yeah, I read that. I think there is a "ring" road or something around the airport that they ride on. They've been doing it for several months now. I don't know all the details, just that they love it and they ride with several hundred other cyclists.

Yeah, I read that. I think there is a "ring" road or something around the airport that they ride on. They've been doing it for several months now. I don't know all the details, just that they love it and they ride with several hundred other cyclists.

Currently cyclists use the road that goes around the outskirts of the airport.

This forces lorries and buses to use the outside land, which slows down the flow of traffic. mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

I will be glad when they open up this new cycle track. thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Only one entrance, south side. Coming from the north turn right before Suvarnabhumi 3 road crosses the canals, it's easy to find. I went out there yesterday after reading this blog post. http://themenopausalminimalist.com/2014/03/27/cycling-in-bangkok-suvarnabhumi-or-bust/

Suvarnabhumini is no small place, it's like 8km north to south. That adds an extra 16km to my 40+km out and back to the airport which is why I chose the Bang Na route instead.

Edited by geminiman
  • Like 1

I'm scratching my head looking @ the maps as to how to actually get to the cycle track without riding on some pretty busy roads.

I do a circuit that's about 30k - mostly on the Klongs around Saphan Sung, Lat Krabang - you can see it here: https://www.runtastic.com/en/users/peter-davies-33/sport-sessions/197713292

I can't see a way to get to the airport on the Klongs and there doesn't appear to be a "minor road" way to get to the airport either.

I'm close to the airport link - so using the train is an option - but right now I'm still a bit confused about where I need to get to. Also on how you join - you just turn up & pay?

Anyone any clues?

The blog post that I linked above answers these questions. As for minor roads to the airport there are none that I know of. I used Bang Na road mainly because the entrance to the cycle track is at the far south end of Suvarnabhumi 3 Road. However, i'm not sure I would recommend Bang Na Road. I rode out early in the morning and traffic sucked, even worse on the way back. Major smog head ache by the time I got back to the BTS. If your coming in on Lat Krabang I would go past all the busy, complicated overpasses and enter at Suvarnabhumi 4 Road then go back to Suvarnabumi 3 Road. Next time I go out i'm going to use the little road under the airport express link to Srinagarindra and then the small road beside motorway 7. It's a lot further than Bang Na road but a much more pleasurable ride I think. If you find a way to get your bike on the airport link let me know. It's been a couple of months since I have been on the airport express or city line so maybe they changed the rules since opening the new cycling circuit. You don't need to pay, just leave some ID with security at the entrance. This may change when they build the proposed club house. One more thing, BRING WATER. Right now this is the only place in Bangkok that really has no vendors and you are a long way from the terminal. Maybe on weekends it's different but I drained my bottle on the way out only to get trapped on the 23.5km circuit baking my brain in the heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one entrance, south side. Coming from the north turn right before Suvarnabhumi 3 road crosses the canals, it's easy to find. I went out there yesterday after reading this blog post. http://themenopausalminimalist.com/2014/03/27/cycling-in-bangkok-suvarnabhumi-or-bust/

Suvarnabhumini is no small place, it's like 8km north to south. That adds an extra 16km to my 40+km out and back to the airport which is why I chose the Bang Na route instead.

The Blog is great help and features a map that is probably good for everyone's orientation (see below). Gonna head out there this weekend.

While it is great that this track exists now, it is a bitter pill that it is so hard to get to. It seems that it is mainly planned by and for people who ironically drive their car to get to ride their bike.

post-204782-0-47515300-1397882893_thumb.