Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EC now says official voter turnout is 47.72%

To make it really simple for everyone.

Is the above % a majority?

It is not a majority of the nation.

It is not a majority of the electorate

It is a majority of voters despite the fact that a huge number didn't actually vote for anything.

It probably is a majority of the eligible numpties

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you. I rest my case.

Elections failed. Lowest turnout in Thai history.

Looking forward to annulment of elections, impeachment of corrupt PTP members including the criminals sister or a vote re-count

Either way you look at it. The PTP don't bode well.

Even with a 14.9% majority backing them they are doomed.

Thank you ThaiVisa. I have never in all my life come across such a vast number of innumerate people all in one place and all arguing such innumerate rubbish at each other!

How could any of you have gotten through any sort of basic education with out understanding how simple percentages actually work, and more importantly how the use of percentages of percentages is a classic political and economical tool to fool the innumerate masses. God help us all!

Even 47.72% is the worst ever voter turnout in Thai history. Then to chose to deface ballots or cast "no vote" in protest of both the process and the regime overseeing it sends a pretty solid message to the regime that they are not wanted.

Like I said though I hope they get 43% or above of the vote..It will make the courts jobs so much easier.

For some funny reason, when reading your posts, the following idiom comes to mind:

"There are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See"........

Great post, so very true!

The Democrats lost!

Big Time!

They need to get used to it, there is no manipulation that will change that, I think the voter turn out speaks volumes myself, Yellow's point to the no-vote total as a vote against PTP, I see them as a neutral vote not for PTP nor for the anti-democracy stop the vote Crunch bunch.

Remember every one that went to vote supported the Thai Democracy! And rejected the protestors plan.

Peace

They lost an election they didn't contest? biggrin.png

The poor turnout - less than half of voters not including obstructed areas - and 28% of those voting no/informal - is a massive slap in the face for Phuea Thai.

Voter turnout certainly does speak volumes. Why don't you look at the numbers critically?

"They lost an election they didn't contest?"

More fool them for trying to destroy the democratic process.

Come back to bite them in the bum no?

"The lowest voter turnout was in Nakhon Si Thammarat with 1,302 voters casting their ballots or 8.78% from a total of 14,825 eligible voters in constituencies which could open for voting."

Now we know.

Quelle suprise!

Aren't they all in Bankok?

i know where their muslim neighbours should go and protest about voting.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

and there's only 14,825 voters in the constituencies?

It's obviously now the least populated constituency in the country!

No prizes then for guessing which party holds sway there then?

ll spell it out in a way you can follow it.

A true majority is if 51% of the eligible votes go to your party. (hard for sure but in a stronghold something that should be reachable)

75,05% of voters came out in Chiang Mai. 64,08 % of that was valid (not made invallid in protest or normal no vote)

75,05 x 64,08 = 48,09% of the total voters actually voted (others are no show.. no vote.. made invalid in protest )

So even if of that 48,09 percent all voted PTP they still did not get an true majority in their stronghold.

Yes I set harsh criteria and my calculation is a bit bias but in their stronghold one would expect them to easily pass it.

So they can never ever claim a true majority if they can't even have one in their own stronghold.

An other way to look at it.. (dont you love numbers)

36% of all voters that voted either invalidated their ballot or voted no. So the max the PTP can get is 64% in CM and that is when all of their people vote PTP if even 15% vote different they cant even claim a majority too.

Hope this did not go over the heads of the resident red shirts here.

Your math is flawed because in almost no true Democracy anywhere in the world will a party get 50% or more of the ELIGIBLE voters, because most of the time it won't be 100% of eligible voters going to the polls.

How hard is it for you to understand this?

David Cameron is the Prime Minister of the UK and got 10,703,654 votes, which is 36.1% of votes cast. The number of eligible voters who showed up was 65.1%.

If Suthep didn't block polling stations across the country, I'm sure that an even bigger percentage (%) would have participated in the 2014 Thailand elections than in the 2010 UK Elections.

Back to the UK. In 2010, there were a total of 45.6 million registered voters, but only 29.6 million voters (65.1%) cast their votes.

David Cameron was elected with 10,703,654 votes, which is 36.1% of votes cast and 23.4% of the overall UK eligible voters.

Are you going to complain that the UK election was not Democratic, too? Then you may just go to about every country around the world and complain that their leaders are not democratically elected.

Your problem is that you don't understand the concept of Democracy, just like Suthep doesn't understand it.

What counts is the numbers of votes cast, not the number of eligible voters.

A "majority" is the majority of counted votes. If you don't go vote, your vote doesn't count, because nobody knows your opinion.

Nobody knows what the people who did not cast their votes think. We don't know if they are pro-Suthep or pro-Yingluck.

This here is your statement from a few posts ago:

You mean 25% of all CM voters did not even come out to vote..

Then of the 75% that voted 22 % voted no

means 40% is against taxin 25 + 16,5 (75% x 22%)

How do you know that the entire 25% that did NOT come out to vote are AGAINST Puea Thai and/or Thaksin?

Therefor it is ridiculous for you to claim that everyone who did not go vote is against Puea Thai, because you don't know.

That's why it's important that people are allowed to vote, not get blocked at polling stations and prevented from exercising their voting right.

David Cameron's Conservative Party with 36.1 % of the vote was not enough to gain a majority in Parliament,and he had to form a coalition Government with the Liberal Democrats Party,had he not done so his Party would not have been able to form a Government on a mere 10,703,654 votes!

Your problem is a reading problem.. but its ok red dye does that to peoples eyes.

I said i set harsh criteria and I am a bit bias.. but to counter it i took their STRONGHOLD to do the math.

I did not even do this for the whole country.

Its the PTP who always say they are the majority but even in their own province they are not.

Anyway... even if they are a majority they cant be corrupt with impunity and ignore laws the way they did.

I am 100% ok with a PTP government that is honest and follows the rules. YL cant even admit the rice program was failed and mired with corruption. If you can't even do that with something that is that clearly failed and corrupt what chance is there then for her to be honest.. none.. because there is no accountability.

I really hope the NACC gets the dirty stuff on her and puts her where she belongs behind bars for corruption.

Any government is good for me.. once the laws are in place and accountability is in place.

My problem is not a reading problem. My problem is understanding your math.

These are your own words:

You mean 25% of all CM voters did not even come out to vote..

Then of the 75% that voted 22 % voted no

means 40% is against taxin 25 + 16,5 (75% x 22%)

Please EXPLAIN to my how you came to the conclusion that EVERYONE of the 25% that did not go to vote in Chiang Mai is AGAINST Puea Thai / Thaksin?

Because you are mixing them with the 16.5% of voters that cast a "No Vote" in order to get a total of who is against Puea Thai / Thaksin.

Think a fair assessment would be to use some known figures from CM.

" Of the total ballots casted, 530,427 or 64.08% were valid, 129,983 or 15.7% were invalid, and 167,398 or 20.22% were vote-no ballots."

These are only figures available that seem to indicate the likely CM voting pattern and which could be considered reliable and usable in this case:

Therefore, of the 25% who didn't turn-out, 64.08 would/ could/ maybe valid, 15.7% invalid and 20.22% no-ballot.

Leave you to work out the numbers as it's all pretty meaningless anyway.

I'm pretty sure a lot of voters didn't bother because the coup is happening no matter what. Even if PTP had polled 60% of an 80% turnout the powers that be with Suthep as their attack dog wouldn't have stopped the protests and occupations. Democracy in Thailand is dead in the water - if it ever was truly alive which is arguable.

Have some faith man.

constitutional coup is dead in the water. Despite the CC striking down the PTP plan for an elected senate they fell short of calling for the parties banning.

That's why the appointed NACC are attempting to find just cause but in most peoples eyes they are a joke rather like the Assets Scrutiny committee of the coup mongers.

Tanks rolling?

I don't think so.

Why?

The americans.

Check out Wilileaks.

Many turned out because they were paid / conned / believe the PTP nonsense, whereas others may well have turned out to support democracy - however, figures seem to show a vast majority didn't support your red fugitive hero, clone and the brown-noser's.

"For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone would vote for this shower?" he said.

Those who voted no are the ones who voted for the Dems in the previous elections, but we against Suthep telling them not to go to vote.

Whoever they chose, or however they voted, the country should be grateful to all those who went to vote.

They saved the country from these crazy anti-democracy thugs.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by gerry1011

Those who voted no are the ones who voted for the Dems in the previous elections, but were against Suthep telling them not to go to vote.

Whoever they chose, or however they voted, the country should be grateful to all those who went to vote.

They saved the country from these crazy anti-democracy thugs.

• Like 1

THere is a problem here if thats the turnout, The PM must recognize that and then decide where we go from here. Suthep, Abhisit etc get down here lets sort this out for the good of the country, the current rules are not working what have you got let see what we can do for the counry. seems simple but is it?

Having inspected the truly bafling array of statistics, projections and interpretations of voting figures in this thread I have come to this conclusion:

Winnie the Pooh won

Piglet was second

Tigger didn't vote as he was busy bouncing on the stage at Asoke

Christopher Robin is about to be deported because he went on the stage with after Tigger and said rude things about Yingluck.

It was an election for crying out loud. The party who won the most votes in a constituency wins the seat. The party which wins the most seats gets to form a government, either alone or in coalition. Any other interpretation is spin. If the result is tampered with by courts or any other agency then it is flouting the declared will of the electorate. Simple really. Now give me some more ear medicine!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now slow down a bit,

I am quite sure Suthep has the very top scientists working on this problem and the great leader will be able to explain with scientific calculations that he won this election and it was another great victory for himself very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Yes, we are specifically discussing CM here.

Gotcha smile.png

Does Mr pussy galore acknowledge that the "EC now says official voter turnout is 47.72% "or too busy otherwise engaged?

Sorry, was that aimed at me?

I dont recognise that user name

According to Wikipedia:

Munter Hunter
(british slang) A young male who goes out purely for the purposes of pulling a munter.
Gregs got really bad taste in birds, yeah he's a right munter hunter.
by Spanky the monkey November 30, 2004
munter hunter
One who on a regular basis pursues particulary unattractive females or munters, with the sole objective of getting passionate with them, to boost there own self-esteem.
"Dean pulls loads of ugly girls, he is a munter hunter" or
"The munter hunter is behind the building having intercourse with a particularly ugly lady"
Munter Hunter
A person who goes out with a crossbow and shoots munters.
Ugly girl: Oh no, a munter hunter!
Gotcha

So, the voter turnout was 47.7%

Let's put this into perspective. In 2012, Barack Obama won the American general election, and 57.5% of all voters actually voted. The rest did not.

Also, surely, the total number of votes cast in the latest Thai election would have been higher if Suthep had not launched a campaign to boycott voting ?

Lots of math and biased interpretation in this thread. But it is safe to assume that the voters who favour PTP made an effort to cast their vote. At least in the same percentage as they did in the last election, if not more.

In 2011 a total of 15,744,190 people voted for PTP. So far this election 14,645,812 people have cast a vote for a party. So if all of these votes are for PTP (unlikely with other parties contesting), and if with the added votes from the South and some Bangkok districts later, PTP cannot get to the same total number of votes as they got in 2011, then they lost at least some popular support. By how much we will wait and see. I hope in such case the party is wise enough to recognise this as a sign it is losing support and must mend its ways.

• Like 1

Apologies in advance. I'm not in the habit of insulting other posters (check out my posts if you don't believe me) but either you are thick or you think other posters are.

Turnout is the lowest in Thai history - I agree. But that begs the question, WHY?

Could it be because:

- there were 28 constituencies that could not register candidates? Hmmm, I wonder why... oh yes, they were PREVENTED from doing so

- there were protestors who blocked the polling station? Hmmm... oh yes, some of them even resorted to violence!

- people were shot for trying to ensure that voting would and could take place...... what if violence were to erupt again? I want to vote, but is it worth my life? I believe in democracy but is it worth my life? Anyway, I don't think my vote will matter much because in all likelihood, with or without my vote, the result will be the same. I have a wife/husband, kids. My parents depend on me to look after them. Should I risk my life? I don't think I should......

- the major opposition party did not participate? Hmmm... if my party candidate is not running, then I will go and vote for another party....NOT!

- one charismatic man (doesn't matter if he's as corrupt as they come) called on us civic minded, democratic law abiding citizens to withhold our vote, to suspend our democratic right, all in the name of reforms! Yes, we are sheeple

Once again, my apologies.

The 47.72% figure is of the voters that could vote unhindered in their district. It does NOT include potential voters that were blocked from voting in their district. There may be some fear of violence for voting in certain Bangkok districts, but these are only a small amount. Up north and northeast fear of violence was not a factor.

• Like 1

Let's put this into perspective. In 2012, Barack Obama won the American general election, and 57.5% of all voters actually voted. The rest did not.

Also, surely, the total number of votes cast in the latest Thai election would have been higher if Suthep had not launched a campaign to boycott voting ?

Looks like it's time to storm the White House, occupy the Capitol and declare invalid the 2012 US Election.

cheesy.gif

Apologies in advance. I'm not in the habit of insulting other posters (check out my posts if you don't believe me) but either you are thick or you think other posters are.

Turnout is the lowest in Thai history - I agree. But that begs the question, WHY?

Could it be because:

- there were 28 constituencies that could not register candidates? Hmmm, I wonder why... oh yes, they were PREVENTED from doing so

- there were protestors who blocked the polling station? Hmmm... oh yes, some of them even resorted to violence!

- people were shot for trying to ensure that voting would and could take place...... what if violence were to erupt again? I want to vote, but is it worth my life? I believe in democracy but is it worth my life? Anyway, I don't think my vote will matter much because in all likelihood, with or without my vote, the result will be the same. I have a wife/husband, kids. My parents depend on me to look after them. Should I risk my life? I don't think I should......

- the major opposition party did not participate? Hmmm... if my party candidate is not running, then I will go and vote for another party....NOT!

- one charismatic man (doesn't matter if he's as corrupt as they come) called on us civic minded, democratic law abiding citizens to withhold our vote, to suspend our democratic right, all in the name of reforms! Yes, we are sheeple

And you insult posters by asking if the above %age is a majority? Of course it's not numbskull. Your spin is so amateurish it's cringeworthy.

The 47.72% figure is of the voters that could vote unhindered in their district. It does NOT include potential voters that were blocked from voting in their district. There may be some fear of violence for voting in certain Bangkok districts, but these are only a small amount. Up north and northeast fear of violence was not a factor.

The EC secretary-general said there was a total of 43,024,786 eligible voters in the election. Of the total eligible voters, 20,530,359 or 47.72% showed up to cast their votes.

Irregardless, do you deny that not all who might have wanted to vote did not do so for one or more of the reasons that I stated?

Could it be because:

And you insult posters by asking if the above %age is a majority? Of course it's not numbskull. Your spin is so amateurish it's cringeworthy.

The EC secretary-general said there was a total of 43,024,786 eligible voters in the election. Of the total eligible voters, 20,530,359 or 47.72% showed up to cast their votes.

Irregardless, do you deny that not all who might have wanted to vote did not do so for one or more of the reasons that I stated?

Maybe you missed the additional info on that first remark you quote;

"EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said the figures were counted from 68 provinces where in some areas of these provinces voting was forced to close ahead of the 3 p.m. closing hours, and also excluded nine southern provinces where election could not be held.

They were Krabi, Chumphon, Trang, Patthalung, Phang Nga, Phuket, Ranong, Songkhla and Surat Thani. Advance voting on January was also not counted in this latest voter turnout."

Total eligible voters for including southern provinces and advanced voting is around 48.77 million.

So it depends on what the turnout will be for those yet to hold by elections to know the true total turnout.

But regardless of what happened in the South and Bangkok, to understand the level of support for PTP it is best to look at those areas where no interruptions in candidate registration or blocking of voters occurred. Then count the votes in those areas and compare them to results in the 2007 and 2011 elections.

But regardless of what happened in the South and Bangkok, to understand the level of support for PTP it is best to look at those areas where no interruptions in candidate registration or blocking of voters occurred. Then count the votes in those areas and compare them to results in the 2007 and 2011 elections.

...which is impossible to know because the EC hasn't released the vote count yet.

It's ridiculous to say that Puea Thai got more or less votes than in the 2007 and 2011 elections, because we don't know the vote count until at least the end of the month.

So basically, 4 pages of discussion for nothing.

"The lowest voter turnout was in Nakhon Si Thammarat with 1,302 voters casting their ballots or 8.78% from a total of 14,825 eligible voters in constituencies which could open for voting."

Now we know.

Quelle suprise!

and there's only 14,825 voters in the constituencies?

It's obviously now the least populated constituency in the country!

No prizes then for guessing which party holds sway there then?

"...14,825 eligible voters in constituencies which could open for voting."

Try to read and comprehend that which you cut and paste. This will lead to enlightenment and prevent you making yourself look like a dolt.

It was an election for crying out loud. The party who won the most votes in a constituency wins the seat. The party which wins the most seats gets to form a government, either alone or in coalition. Any other interpretation is spin. If the result is tampered with by courts or any other agency then it is flouting the declared will of the electorate. Simple really. Now give me some more ear medicine!

Yeah......you obviously need it.

Looks like it's time to storm the White House, occupy the Capitol and declare invalid the 2012 US Election.

cheesy.gif

"Looks like it's time to storm the White House, occupy the Capitol and declare invalid the 2012 US Election."

Yes, that would be an absurd idea to most people on TV. Yet, that's what some people are cheering on. Or they're cheering on something similar to that.

By the way, the turnout for the American general election in 2012 was relatively high. All the elections that took place back in the 1980s and 1990s had turnouts that were lower than what it was in 2012.

Now we know.

Quelle suprise!

"Muslim neighbours"?

What are you on about?

Lots of math and biased interpretation in this thread. But it is safe to assume that the voters who favour PTP made an effort to cast their vote. At least in the same percentage as they did in the last election, if not more.

In 2011 a total of 15,744,190 people voted for PTP. So far this election 14,645,812 people have cast a vote for a party. So if all of these votes are for PTP (unlikely with other parties contesting), and if with the added votes from the South and some Bangkok districts later, PTP cannot get to the same total number of votes as they got in 2011, then they lost at least some popular support. By how much we will wait and see. I hope in such case the party is wise enough to recognise this as a sign it is losing support and must mend its ways.

Actually, the PTP polled around half what it did last time.

Dream on

cheesy.gif

"Looks like it's time to storm the White House, occupy the Capitol and declare invalid the 2012 US Election."

Yes, that would be an absurd idea to most people on TV. Yet, that's what some people are cheering on. Or they're cheering on something similar to that.

By the way, the turnout for the American general election in 2012 was relatively high. All the elections that took place back in the 1980s and 1990s had turnouts that were lower than what it was in 2012.

Is it a legal requirement to vote in the US or UK..... I don't think so... irrelevant!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

cheesy.gif

Is it a legal requirement to vote in the US or UK..... I don't think so... irrelevant!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does anyone here give a crap about whats a legal requirement for anything let alone an election ? LOL i dont think so

It is clear in my mind that the Dems have lost the opportunity of a winnable election, now they seek an annulment. The PTP have lost the support of the electorate due to their inability to govern within the law. The people of Thailand are the winners, they have sent a clear message to both parties that better governance is demanded.