dynamic balancing motorcycle wheels

namdocmai

Balancing a tyre can be done manually, so a machine isn't strictly necessary. Obviously it makes it quicker.

Many Sunday racers balance wheels themselves and claim to be more accurate than a machine - it's not rocket science.

Balancing is desirable on a scooter but unless you're really thrashing it you won't notice it much at say 70klm/h (assuming rim and tyre in good condition). If your front end shows obvious tendencies to cavitate then get the rim checked for straightness and balancing.

On a bigger bike balancing of both wheels is totally necessary. It's not just the effect of the "ride" as such in a straight line, an unbalanced rim plays mayhem when cornering and braking if pushing the envelope and is just as important as tyre pressure.

Balancing a tyre can be done manually, so a machine isn't strictly necessary. Obviously it makes it quicker.

Many Sunday racers balance wheels themselves and claim to be more accurate than a machine - it's not rocket science.

Balancing is desirable on a scooter but unless you're really thrashing it you won't notice it much at say 70klm/h (assuming rim and tyre in good condition). If your front end shows obvious tendencies to cavitate then get the rim checked for straightness and balancing.

On a bigger bike balancing of both wheels is totally necessary. It's not just the effect of the "ride" as such in a straight line, an unbalanced rim plays mayhem when cornering and braking if pushing the envelope and is just as important as tyre pressure.

Well i have a scooter but it goes 110-120 km/hr . For the cars wheels that are unbalanced start bouncing at speeds around 90km/hr. So i wonder why my Honda dealer does not even have the balancing machine while he also sells bikes like the Honda Forza or the CBR 250.

Static balancing is easy but dynamic balancing requires the machine to let the wheel spin, i have never seen it being done without letting the wheel spin fast.

So do i have to tell my Honda dealer that i want my Honda SH wheels balanced? It is a brand new bike and i want it in top-notch condition.

Can the tyre-company's for cars also do motorcycle wheels? I know they can but they need an adapter for the rim to fit on the machine.

Does your motorbike-dealer balance the wheels for you? This is typical Thailand again, they have a big Honda dealer and no machine to balance a wheel.

Well i have a scooter but it goes 110-120 km/hr . For the cars wheels that are unbalanced start bouncing at speeds around 90km/hr. So i wonder why my Honda dealer does not even have the balancing machine while he also sells bikes like the Honda Forza or the CBR 250.

Static balancing is easy but dynamic balancing requires the machine to let the wheel spin, i have never seen it being done without letting the wheel spin fast.

So do i have to tell my Honda dealer that i want my Honda SH wheels balanced? It is a brand new bike and i want it in top-notch condition.

Can the tyre-company's for cars also do motorcycle wheels? I know they can but they need an adapter for the rim to fit on the machine.

Does your motorbike-dealer balance the wheels for you? This is typical Thailand again, they have a big Honda dealer and no machine to balance a wheel.

At 120 I wouldn't worry about your rims being slightly out of balance.

The chassis warp, swingarm flex, small rims, poor aerodynamics, poor seating position, crap suspension, and simple frame design will be more of a problem for you than out of balance wheels.

Many people seem to think these poxy little scooters are pieces of engineering that match a Superbike. They couldn't be be further from it. Look at the back of a scooter that is doing a decent speed and observe what the frame/swingarm/rear wheel are doing - you'll soon conclude they are about as stable as a three legged dog on roller skates at anything beyond 70-80 klm/h.

And the bigger the scooter, the bigger the problem - still a simple design not made for speed but can go faster. facepalm.gif

From what I have read about the SH 150 you should be fine doing anything up to 200 kph.

Ok, maybe an exaggeration, but it does seem that the quality of suspension, frame, brakes on the SH is a step up from your standard scooter. So should be safe cruising at 120kph.

Is it necessary?

I say yes if you ride above 55 mph/100 kph sure

My dealer has a spin balancer if that is what you mean by dynamic balance

In the old days there was bubble balance & spin

bubble they just lay your wheel horizontally on a bubble level type

pyramid & add weights where needed to center the bubble. Very basic balance

Spin of course take the wheel up to speed & a computer tells them where to add weight

& how much even to which side of the wheel meaning in or out side/left right of rim

Edited by mania

Yes dynamic balancing is what they do with carwheels, on the spinningmachine which tells where and how much weight to add. Static balancing is without a machine (at least that is how i learned it on a technical scool for engineers long time ago).

Wheels can be a perfect static balalanced but while they are spinning fast they can be far out of balance. That's why they use the machines on carwheels and you do that after mounting the tires so the whole rim and tire together are in balance.

I agree that a Honda Scoopy or Wave or whatever scooter with single swingarm is not good at high speeds but the Honda SH is a different story. It is a very solid bike which can also be bought with a 300cc engine and that is Italy's most sold scooter. Yes it still looks like a simple scooter but ride one and you know what i mean.

I don't know how often i will drive it above 100km/hr but if i do so i just want the bike to be in perfect condition for that. The tires are IRC ss-530 designed for high speed scooters that's why i want them to be balanced.

I don't understand the bubble balancing though, they lay the wheel horizontally? If it was vertically i would understand it. You mount the wheel vertically (like in the frontfork) then spin it by hand and watch which spot seems to be the heaviest by stopping at the lowest point. Then add a weight at the opposit site of the wheel and test again untill the wheel stops spinning at random spots all the time.

I think it would be wise to check your motorbike tires about the max. speed and max. weight. I know a scoopy could have maximum 130 kg (if i recall well) so when i rode it with a duo passenger i would easy overload that scoopy-tire. The Thai don't care for that but remember that the tire is not made for weights above 130 kg and might explode or break. My Honda dealer also never pumped my tires at the recommended speed, for the scoopy they pumped them rockhard and for the SH they were to soft. I bet they even don't have a pressure gauge at that dealer.

Well i will find me some garage that can balance my wheels, i just want to have a perfect bike.

^^^ It's a SH 150 with 16 inch Enkei wheels etc. If Vespas can do, getting on for, 140 it should be OK at 120.

What they can "do" and what they can "do safely" are two different things. You could probably ride all day at 120 and not have a problem (until you do), but those things are not designed foir it. They're around town commuters - end of story.

I mean, they have a flat floor and step through so the girls can commute with their knees together and hang their handbag and groceries on the hook. It's the most unstable bike design ever.

Take a look at a frame and swingarm from a flat-floor sh150 compared to mid-size CBR600 sportsbike. They just ain't the same and cannot be expected to react the same at 120 klm/h.

Anyway, good luck with your wheel balancing.

post-124914-0-74949600-1391765435_thumb. post-124914-0-89552600-1391765868_thumb.

post-124914-0-20270300-1391765513_thumb. post-124914-0-88852800-1391765543_thumb.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I don't understand the bubble balancing though, they lay the wheel horizontally? If it was vertically i would understand it.

Basically it is/was a simple machine looked like these

%24T2eC16NHJGQFFh3rULC-BRb!RbNyZQ~~60_35

I guess they still sell some simple versions for home use

Edited by mania

I mean, they have a flat floor and step through so the girls can commute with their knees together and hang their handbag and groceries on the hook. It's the most unstable bike design ever.

Take a look at a frame and swingarm from a flat-floor sh150 compared to mid-size CBR600 sportsbike. They just ain't the same and cannot be expected to react the same at 120 klm/h.

Hmm... last time I checked I checked I'm no girl, still I appreciate being able to carry a beer case without acrobacies.

Flat floor scotter is still better than wannabe motorcycle of any size. Check that out, no underbones are sold outside of Asia.

Then regarding the comparison between frame rigidity, I think there is a little bit more to consider than "stability at 120 Khm" between the bikes you mentioned. Apples to oranges, etc ...

I mean, they have a flat floor and step through so the girls can commute with their knees together and hang their handbag and groceries on the hook.

This is like being to vehemently anti gay. Are you suggesting that riding a scooter is gay, because you are? From your posts it seems you have deep seated angst against scooters.

Come and lie on the couch and tell me why.

Edited by VocalNeal

I mean, they have a flat floor and step through so the girls can commute with their knees together and hang their handbag and groceries on the hook.

This is like being to vehemently anti gay. Are you suggesting that riding a scooter is gay, because you are? From your posts it seems you have deep seated angst against scooters.

Come and lie on the couch and tell me why.

Personally, I think scooters are for men. Short skirted girls should be riding the regular format bike with their skirts hiked and legs apart.

• Like 1

I have Dyna Beads in all my big bikes. The tires rebalance themselves every time I ride. Also, no ugly lead or zinc weights on the wheels or spokes.

Where are you purchasing your Dyna Beads from?

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

I have Dyna Beads in all my big bikes. The tires rebalance themselves every time I ride. Also, no ugly lead or zinc weights on the wheels or spokes.

When i first heard about those I thought Bah

But after seeing videos I am pretty sold on them.

Would like to buy some too as I hate the look of weights too.

Edited by mania

Is a scooter for gays? I have a very cute beautybox on the back giggle.gif

Well i grew over all that crap. In my homecountry a 600cc bike is for girls and the men ride above 1000 cc. Oh i forgot the rooky's who just got their driving license they also have to ride small bikes untill they have 3 years experience or so. I started with an 850 when i was 18 but that was before the new rules came in.

I have never heard about the beads, sounds good to me! That's what i like about this forum, always something to learn. The bubbletester i also had never seen.

A scooter is less solid then a bike like a CBR i agree that. I ride a scooter because i 'm lazy and love everything automatic. The hook on the SH is to low, i can't hang plastic bags on it in that the scoopy was better for shopping. You won't believe what i all transported with that Scoopy, big tree's, garden stones, huge flowerpots, dogs, beer, grassmats. I didn't care for scratches and just used it. Still got half the price back after 4 years (20k baht).

• Like 1

I don't understand the bubble balancing though, they lay the wheel horizontally? If it was vertically i would understand it.

Basically it is/was a simple machine looked like these

%24T2eC16NHJGQFFh3rULC-BRb!RbNyZQ~~60_35

I guess they still sell some simple versions for home use

Ah, so that's where my old balancer went! When your finished with it can you send it back, please?

post-63954-0-01190800-1391854585_thumb.j

Well i grew over all that crap. In my homecountry a 600cc bike is for girls and the men ride above 1000 cc. Oh i forgot the rooky's who just got their driving license they also have to ride small bikes untill they have 3 years experience or so. I started with an 850 when i was 18 but that was before the new rules came in.

I have never heard about the beads, sounds good to me! That's what i like about this forum, always something to learn. The bubbletester i also had never seen.

A scooter is less solid then a bike like a CBR i agree that. I ride a scooter because i 'm lazy and love everything automatic. The hook on the SH is to low, i can't hang plastic bags on it in that the scoopy was better for shopping. You won't believe what i all transported with that Scoopy, big tree's, garden stones, huge flowerpots, dogs, beer, grassmats. I didn't care for scratches and just used it. Still got half the price back after 4 years (20k baht).

Funny! When I bought my Thai "Big Bike," an ER6n 650cc, It was a step down from the liter+ bike I had in the US. I had to laugh to myself as the ER6 in the US is considered to be a "starter" or "womens'" bike.

I use Ride On in my tires to protect against flats. It also balances the wheels. I import it from the US. Do not know if it is available here, though I know there in a Malaysian dealer.

Another thing about Dyna Beads is the price from memory I think it was 180baht for three bags used on the ducati two bags for the rear and one for the front

Have a look on Youtube and watch the vid

I just checked the UK website and 2oz each for the front and rear, I've been meaning to get Dyna Beads for years. Thanks for prompting me again :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Another thing about Dyna Beads is the price from memory I think it was 180baht for three bags used on the ducati two bags for the rear and one for the front

Have a look on Youtube and watch the vid

250 baht an ounce here

http://www.crsaddlebags.com/dynabead.html

Typical tires take 1 or 2 ounces & large tires take 3

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart

Odd on the chart is scooters with small wheels & Dual purpose bike tires take a good amount too.

Edited by mania

Funny! When I bought my Thai "Big Bike," an ER6n 650cc, It was a step down from the liter+ bike I had in the US. I had to laugh to myself as the ER6 in the US is considered to be a "starter" or "womens'" bike.

I use Ride On in my tires to protect against flats. It also balances the wheels. I import it from the US. Do not know if it is available here, though I know there in a Malaysian dealer.

Haha, how do you think i felt after driving several Magna V65 bikes and then coming to Thailand to buy me a Scoopy? But the real shock was not the scoopy but how other drivers treat motobikedrivers here. It is unheard of in Europe where everyone on the road gets the same respect and motorbikes even more then cars.

I had never been cut off badly like they do here daily to me. That's why i need a trainhorn on my bike now.