NIDA poll says election must be voided, PM must resign

Lite Beer

Are we supposed to take this article seriously? A "pollster" is a person administering a poll, yet is referred to throughout the article instead of referring to those who were polled. The title of the article is misleading as well, so it's clearly slanted.

But it would have much more credence if they published the composition of the poll, in terms of the walks of life and locations of those polled, and how those people were selected. I went to the site, but while it published the results, including a nice graphical depiction of a poll form, there was nothing I could see that provided that information. Anyone know where that might be found?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet Yingluck gonna make a public announcement soon, while shedding some crocodile tears, that she want to resign for the good of the country but that the constitution doesn't allow her to.

CMPO: PM cannot quit until new Govt is formed

BANGKOK, 7 January 2014 (NNT) – The Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) has reaffirmed that the Prime Minister cannot resign from her post until the new government has been set up.

If she decides to walk who's going to stop her???

Chalerm??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

More to the point who will take over???

Chalerm???burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

There is no way in hell that PM YL should resign and, frankly, if she hasn't resigned by now, she isn't going to so people should just stop wishing for that. She has clearly won the war and the BkkShutdown failed in its ultimate goals of pushing YL out. She played it cool, kept a steady head and hand, no crackdowns (like Abhisit in 2010), kept the police and the military on her side (or at least, not against her). Again, YL and the government won this. BRAVO, I say.

Preliminary vote results show that PT lost over 33% of their votes, compared to 2010. So it won? Hardly so.

The often abused term "landslide" victory turned into a landslide failure for the Yingluck led governement. Time to call it quits! ("Ok pai!")

You're talking unsubstantiated nonsense - noone knows at this point if PTP lost 33 % of their vote. One thing is certain and verifiyable-- Abjisit and the Democrats lost 100% of their votes compared to 2010.

Edited by tigermonkey
  • Like 1

I call b#llsh!t on this poll and every other poll for the last 100 years.

History shows that only 3 or 4 PMs have finished even one full term before these crybabies disrupted their own agreed-upon processes.

This has nothing to do with Thaksin or his family or what kind of vegetables he grows in his garden.

It has everything to do with a population of lunatics who can't seem to settle on one thing before they are off and on about another thing with knives and guns and grenades to make demands for changes that their ancestors fought and died for ten times in one lifetime.

Lunatics!

Forgive my seeming obtuse sense of things; however; even though all of this fancy talk and use of "big" words carries the day, I remain not convinced that these people have never finished anything they have started... short of damage, destruction, connivance, scheming, manipulation, falsification, incrimination, spinning, spewing, frothing and so on and so on.

I would wager that 99% of any reader of these reports and statistics and polls and promises and warnings and guarantees (etc.etc.) are simply not impressed with anything and are more concerned about their visa extensions and investments.

NIDA poll!!

Yeah!

Right!

How about "History Poll"!

The proof is in the pudding mateys!

"Much Ado about Nothing" can best be described herein.

As The Human Torch is fond of saying, "Flame out". Thank you for letting me poop.

• Like 2

While I respect the educational credentials of the NIDA, it's difficult to accept that out of a 30 million electorial base that a survey of only 1,259 samples can give any meanginful results, much less with only a narrow margin of error. If the sample size was a roll-up of multiple polls stratified into homogenious groupings, ie., by gender, age, by employment, income, education, and so on, statiscal significance drops dramatically.

It is Pure insanity to trash a poll of those grounds. If and when Thailand becomes a real democracy with a contented population she will be lucky to poll such a high number of votes in any election. One just has to look at polling turn-out in long established democracies around the world to see that.

Edited by indyuk

There is no way in hell that PM YL should resign and, frankly, if she hasn't resigned by now, she isn't going to so people should just stop wishing for that. She has clearly won the war and the BkkShutdown failed in its ultimate goals of pushing YL out. She played it cool, kept a steady head and hand, no crackdowns (like Abhisit in 2010), kept the police and the military on her side (or at least, not against her). Again, YL and the government won this. BRAVO, I say.

You are all over the board. You are correct in saying the people should quit wishing for it. We know it would be the right thing to do but we also know Thaksin will not allow it.

She has not kept a steady head first she was going to white wash her brother then she wasn't. First she was not going to dissolve the house then she was. I suppose you could call it cool lying about the rice scam. She stands there with a straight face and says it is not her fault that the farmers were not paid. It is the fault of the protestors. Knowing full good and well that the bills should have been paid a month before she dissolved the house.

Cool well maybe where you come from.

Apparently on Facebook she has ordered her Ministers of Finance and Commerce to pay up.

Wonder why she didn't got to the big boy and order him to do it. You know the Minister of Labor.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All of a sudden what the protestors do or say she can pay them.

Either the poll is a shambles or the reporting is totally inept - perhaps both. Early in the OP it says "12.97% wanted Ms Yingluck Shinawatra to step down" and then later in the article it says " 55.76% of pollsters said the caretaker prime minister should resign ". I'm confused, but t hen perhaos the OP/headline was merely trying to make some sort of biased point.

By the way, I am ignoring the fact that it says 55.76% of pollsters -- why are they publishing the opinions of those taking the poll ( ie the pollsters ).

I think both are screwy one because it is a Thai poll with no recognized standards and two because it is the nation. I do how ever believe that it is close to 50% one way or the other to what the public wants in regards to negating the election.

As in all elections prior to the election there are people locked into one side or the other side. With a lot of undecided in between. It would be interesting to here what there position on it is.

The numbers will even get worth for her.

If they say that the law does not allow her to step down, she can just walk away and leave the country and never come back like her big brother.

She can do it if she wants. She already lost her face and she does not have much more left to lose.

She does not have to face the criminal charge for the rice scam either.

People have been waiting for the moment that she steps down. Just walk away so that she can make people happy.

Someone will take care of the business and she does not have to worry about anything. Just leave and everything will be over peacefully.
Do it for the people of Thailand. This is her last opportunity to do something good for the country.

Why should she step down? She is clearly The best and most loved Prime Minister Thailand has ever had. She is more popular than her brother (the font of all evil) and more popular than the butchers of Bangkok.

Thailand needs a strong honest, dedicated stateswoman for P.M., not a cute, cuddly, bimbo that uses Facebook and Skype for running a government.

Playtime is over, the bell has rung, time for some serious changes to get this country back on High Speed Track.

A survey done by the rebels. The data shows incosistencies, so this kind of rubbish should be completely ignored. This has NO value at all, but shows how easily public opinion is manipulated in Thailand. Sadly even the press in Thailand is publishing this kind of gossip! Sad, and it shows how sick the political climate is!

• Like 1

Liars, damned liars and those who quote statistics. Not sure where this poll falls. Confusing at best.

Only 12.97% want Yingluck to step down, but 55.76 % think the leader of the caretaker government

should step down. Who commissioned this pole? What were the exact questions? Because these two

answers are entirely different. Did the pole designer not know what he/she was doing or did he/she know

exactly what they were doing and framed the questions in a way to get the answer they wanted.

If you go by the poles the Republicans won the US presidential race and Romney is president of

the United States. According to there poles anyway. coffee1.gif

"...the February 2 general election must be voided because less than half of the total eligible voters cast their votes."

Although I can agree with some arguments made by the opposition, this is not one of them.

If you read the article carefully you might see that it wasn't the opposition saying that, but NIDA's latest poll from people of all walks of life across the country.

While I agree that an opinion poll is not an alternative to an election, it does give a reasonably clear idea of what the polled think. Ignore what the people think and you have lost your legitimacy as a democratic government.

We are talking about 1,200 odd people from all walks of life... Indeed NIDA... Enough said or should you gather at least 100,000 people to cast their thoughts. Bring in JP Morgan or a real agency to conduct the findings of the people not an institution that lacks the manpower, funds and or capacity to release such figures. The numbers don't cut it IMO.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the election is nullified and Yingluck resigns it will be a victory for mob rule.

Presumably in future we need not bother with elections at all, just raise a few thousand followers, march into Bangkok and seize parliament whenever you take a dislike to the government's policies.

Because of the way you think you say Mob

there are other's who will say the Free Thai people

One of these will be my thai wife and her many friends

and with some of the lastest polls it seems the majority of Thai feel the same

Are we so lucky you opinion does not count

The numbers will even get worth for her.

If they say that the law does not allow her to step down, she can just walk away and leave the country and never come back like her big brother.

She can do it if she wants. She already lost her face and she does not have much more left to lose.

She does not have to face the criminal charge for the rice scam either.

People have been waiting for the moment that she steps down. Just walk away so that she can make people happy.

Someone will take care of the business and she does not have to worry about anything. Just leave and everything will be over peacefully.

Do it for the people of Thailand. This is her last opportunity to do something good for the country.

let the polls tell the real story first though..

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"...the February 2 general election must be voided because less than half of the total eligible voters cast their votes."

Although I can agree with some arguments made by the opposition, this is not one of them.

If you read the article carefully you might see that it wasn't the opposition saying that, but NIDA's latest poll from people of all walks of life across the country.

While I agree that an opinion poll is not an alternative to an election, it does give a reasonably clear idea of what the polled think. Ignore what the people think and you have lost your legitimacy as a democratic government.

It would also make me wonder where the 1200 so people in the poll came from. It states from all tiers of society and one of the views is:

"On a question of who should be held responsible for the unsuccessful election, 45.92% pointed their fingers to the government"

I am being very optimist by thinking that people holding the government responsible for the 'unsuccessful election' were thinking that not enough security was given at the polling stations. This is of course against the alternate view that the public were being illegally hindered by mob rule, depriving them of their right to vote.

Sorry NIDA, complete <deleted>.........................sad.png

Preliminary vote results show that PT lost over 33% of their votes, compared to 2010. So it won? Hardly so.

The often abused term "landslide" victory turned into a landslide failure for the Yingluck led governement. Time to call it quits! ("Ok pai!")

you can win a battle and still loose the war

Things have only just started

do you really believe the democrats did not stand so Yingluck would will with ease

Do not go near Go as you will not collect 200 dollars

This means nothing without looking at the survey/interview instrument. You can conduct a poll to deliver the results you want by how the questions are presented.

The fact that the words "neutral" and "appointed" are used in tandem to describe a repalcement for Yingluck raises skepticism about the polling instrument because anyone appointed certainly is not neurtral.

One additional point - the whole point of democracy, and presumably a poll purporting to represent those within it, is that it should reflect the ideal of one person having one vote. Unless the poll consisted of mostly rural farmers, with a numerical spread matching that of Thailand regionally, then it's not representative of the country or of what would happen within an election.

Hence I question where is the methodology and the composition of those polled. I'm rather suspicious that this elite Bangkok institution is jigging it such that those who are more on the elite side of things get a bit more of a say than those farming in the provinces...

Why should she step down? She is clearly The best and most loved Prime Minister Thailand has ever had. She is more popular than her brother (the font of all evil) and more popular than the butchers of Bangkok.

post-13618-0-64585300-1391774236.gif

post-13618-0-09583700-1391774296.gif

post-13618-0-81321100-1391774351.gif

Edited by tezzainoz

So who is behind this NIDA poll organisation? Anyone knows that?

Could be TATgiggle.gif

This is the intelligent question because somebody is clearly behind the poll and the faint smell of agenda is pervasive.

Because the poster has not bothered to look it up, I was not doing that for him -sorry- hence my reply, but figures are conjured up in all polls here, persons are selected for them, or any figure is given.

Knock / knock, any brains out there? In the 2000 US election only 51.3% of the US electorate turned out - and that was in the absence of outlaw mobs preventing voting. The Thai turnout of 46.7% only validates the true path of Thailand to democracy, rather than a 19th century form of feudalism. Thailand will survive this fight for power, just as Suchinda kraprayoon was chastised and put out to pasture in 1992.

post-9062-0-34209600-1391774656_thumb.jp

Edited by thaigold