Mobile For Laptop Internet Access

tjo o tjim

Lost and could really use some help if anybody has good information on cell phones.

I am looking for a phone whose primary function is to tether to my laptop for internet access. Don't want or need a smart phone (have a BlackBerry already). While the Blackberry would be perfect for my access needs, I can't tie up that phone number all day when I use the internet.

I used to have a RAZR for this function, but it was stolen. I always hated the phone, so it isn't that big of a loss. The ONE thing I liked about it though was the use of a mini-usb jack for power and communications. This saved me two cords that I need to travel with. The user interface was terrible, and I don't really like flip phones.

Now, I would prefer to get a phone with EDGE capability for (admittedly slightly) faster access when available. While there are plenty of phones that meet this requirement, aside from Motorola, it looks like phones with mini-usb are limited to smart phones.

Does anybody know of a non smart-phone with Edge capability and a built-in mini-usb jack?

Thanks.

The USB chargers are a nice idea, but it is still an extra cable that I have to keep with me. I already keep a standard mini-usb zip cable in my bag, so I would prefer to use this.

Further complicating things, one laptop doesn't have bluetooth.

Is Motorola the only phone manufacturer that uses mini-usb as standard?

Does anybody know of a non smart-phone with Edge capability and a built-in mini-usb jack?

I used the EDGE service from DTAC in Bangkok for one year.

Was totally pleased.

Reliable connections.

Thru-put at ISDN levels.

I used an EDGE card -- PCMCIA -- not a phone.

The card has an ordinary SIM chip and a little antenna.

I bought the card from DTAC.

DTAC also provided a list of EDGE-capable phones for the USB link you asked about.

I'd still be using EDGE now, but I moved into a building already wired for high-speed.

If you want more information about EDGE phones and service go to one of DTAC's large, regional centres.

The little DTAC shops in the department stores and malls seem never to have heard of EDGE.

I'm going to second Mr. Dave's reccomendation with the pcmcia card. I picked mine up in Tukcom at the Apple deal and couldn't be happier. Has worked in both my g/f and my laptop's without a hiccup, and supports EDGE speed. Before you buy a card from anywhere, make sure you read the box closely, because as previuosly mentioned, asking the salesperson will net you a blank stare.

I use a Motorola V360, which is an EDGE-capable flip phone w/ mini-USB. I use it full-time as a GPRS modem w/ my Linux-based laptop, but it turns out I have never brought the laptop to an EDGE coverage area. It performs well in regular GPRS areas giving the maximum expected rates for its class. I have had to "reboot" the phone maybe once every week or so after it seems to stop passing traffic (even though the "dialup" modem link starts OK). The PPP connection gets disconnected roughly once every day or two, but I think this may be DTAC being irritating, rather than the phone. I run long download sessions which are drawing 4-5 KB/s all day and all night long...

It also has a basic still camera and low-res MPEG-4 video camera, with a micro-SD storage slot. I have not been able to mount the micro-SD card from Linux, and haven't pursued the problem since it isn't why I bought the phone. I suspect it is a DRM-related issue with micro-SD and free, open-source drivers. (The phone has a menu option to change the USB connection from data/fax to storage mode, but it gives a stream of I/O errors if I try to access it in storage mode.)

This is a pretty affordable phone for its features. You should be able to find lots of reviews online if you search for the specific model number. They were readily available in mobile shops in BKK when I last looked.

I use a Motorola V360, which is an EDGE-capable flip phone w/ mini-USB. I use it full-time as a GPRS modem w/ my Linux-based laptop, but it turns out I have never brought the laptop to an EDGE coverage area. It performs well in regular GPRS areas giving the maximum expected rates for its class. I have had to "reboot" the phone maybe once every week or so after it seems to stop passing traffic (even though the "dialup" modem link starts OK). The PPP connection gets disconnected roughly once every day or two, but I think this may be DTAC being irritating, rather than the phone. I run long download sessions which are drawing 4-5 KB/s all day and all night long...

It also has a basic still camera and low-res MPEG-4 video camera, with a micro-SD storage slot. I have not been able to mount the micro-SD card from Linux, and haven't pursued the problem since it isn't why I bought the phone. I suspect it is a DRM-related issue with micro-SD and free, open-source drivers. (The phone has a menu option to change the USB connection from data/fax to storage mode, but it gives a stream of I/O errors if I try to access it in storage mode.)

This is a pretty affordable phone for its features. You should be able to find lots of reviews online if you search for the specific model number. They were readily available in mobile shops in BKK when I last looked.

Ok, now how do you configure it run on linux through the mini-USB plug. I would be running Linux right now if it wasn't for the difficulty of plugging in either my Motorola L6 or V220 into it and getting a GPRS connection. I have done a lot of searching and this is about the only post I have come across where someone is using a USB connected Motorola phone and Linux.

This has been discussed before, but here are the crib notes specifically for Motorola on Linux...

0. plug in phone and make sure it has registered as a CDC modem class USB device

1. use admin commands to create a new dialup connection using the modem device (e.g. /dev/ttyACM0)

2. use the SIM card name as the "provider" name, e.g. "dtac", just for your own sanity

3. set any random values for username and password (I use "dummy" because I am boring)

4. set the dialup number to *99***2#

5. override the main modem initialization string to be just "ATZ"

6. provide a secondary modem initialization string of "AT+CGDCONT=2,IP,www.dtac.co.th"

Step zero requires the phone to be in data/fax mode! Check the manual and setup menus of the phone. It also requires that the "cdc_acm" USB modem driver is enabled. The modem will probably appear as /dev/ttyACM0, but check your kernel messages after you attach the phone.

The value "www.dtac.co.th" is specific to DTAC SIM cards. For Orange or AIS, replace it with "internet".

The number "2" in the AT+CGDCONT command must match the number "2" in the dialing string. I think there are actually four possible configuration entries (1-4) that can be used for this purpose. You might blow away an entry that the phone was using for its internal browser etc. if you choose poorly. More geeky users will probe the phone first, using minicom or another terminal emulator to talk to the modem device directly. The command "AT+CGDCONT=?" will list the current table of entries. Choose one that looks empty.

On Fedora, I have to save the configuration after step (4) and then go back to "edit" and use advanced options menus to tinker with the modem init strings. This is using the normal system-config-network wizard.

After all is said and done, I just do "ifup dtac" to start a connection and "ifdown dtac" to stop.

Some Motorolas have a standard connection. Why dont you go for Bluetooth? For instance second hand NOkia 6230 for less than 6000B. Try thailandGPRS.com

Lost and could really use some help if anybody has good information on cell phones.

I am looking for a phone whose primary function is to tether to my laptop for internet access. Don't want or need a smart phone (have a BlackBerry already). While the Blackberry would be perfect for my access needs, I can't tie up that phone number all day when I use the internet.

I used to have a RAZR for this function, but it was stolen. I always hated the phone, so it isn't that big of a loss. The ONE thing I liked about it though was the use of a mini-usb jack for power and communications. This saved me two cords that I need to travel with. The user interface was terrible, and I don't really like flip phones.

Now, I would prefer to get a phone with EDGE capability for (admittedly slightly) faster access when available. While there are plenty of phones that meet this requirement, aside from Motorola, it looks like phones with mini-usb are limited to smart phones.

Thanks.

Edited by uk_falang

Ok... Settled on the Moto V360, saw it while I was in Bangkok last week but for some idiotic reason thought I would wait until getting to Samui/Koh Tao to buy it.

Apparently it isn't stocked in Surat Thani, so it isn't available around here. (Logical enough since there isn't much in the way of Edge coverage).

Is there any easy way to buy and get phones shipped within Thailand, or am I stuck waiting until I (or a friend) is back in BKK?

Thanks... Feel like a moron even asking about something so basic.