Gibbon Hawkers In Patong

Galong

Gibbon problem returns to Patong

Check out http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...=5011&display=1

Why am I not surprised by hearing that the cops aren’t doing their job in protecting illegally kept Gibbons? I’ll tell you why: it’s because they simply don’t care about anything except money.

Here’s an idea: why don’t the cops plant a couple of marijuana joints on the Gibbon hawkers and shoot them under Thaksin’s anti-drug campaign?

Until the police start doing their job Thailand is destined to remain in the category of Third World. I see no reason to think this will change anytime soon. This country’s treatment of all animals, all animals, is absolutely pathetic. :o:D

Why am I not surprised by hearing that the cops aren’t doing their job in protecting illegally kept Gibbons? I’ll tell you why: it’s because they simply don’t care about anything except money.

Here’s an idea: why don’t the cops plant a couple of marijuana joints on the Gibbon hawkers and shoot them under Thaksin’s anti-drug campaign?

Until the police start doing their job Thailand is destined to remain in the category of Third World. I see no reason to think this will change anytime soon. This country’s treatment of all animals, all animals, is absolutely pathetic. :D:D

your text: :o:D !!!

Report it to cruelty for animals, I believe they will seek and arrest the hawker for mistreatment of animal and endangered species. Thailand is a member of world wildlife fund (WWF).

I wish it was that easy. Thailand doesn't enforce laws related to animal cruelty and they don't seem to care if an animal is on the endangered species list or not. For whatever reason, the cops don't seem to give a darn about things like this. I will send this bad news to every news agency in the hopes that a loss of face will embarass them into enforcing the international laws.

This is also a product of supply and demand. Uneducated tourists who pay to get their photo taken are as much of the problem as the hawkers.

To be fair to Thailand, the 'jungle food' fiasco apart, they are making strides in improving their zoos. Whilst they may be small strides, any progress is better than none.

I was at Lopburi zoo recently and although it is still very run down one of the soldiers there (it is owned by the military) said that over the next few years some of the larger empty enclosures are to be re-developed through government funding to provide a better environment for the big cats they have there.

Dusit zoo, although while still not great, has come a long way recently.

Overall it seems that the Thailand Zoo authorities are realising that zoos are a valuable educational facility and not a chance to feed bread to hippos.

Their cousins, orang-utans, haven't faired any better in Thailand :D :

3 more orang-utans reported dead

Three more orang-utans smuggled from Indonesia to a Bangkok zoo were reported yesterday to have died.

The animals, part of a group of about 50 due to be sent back to Borneo shortly, have been held at a research centre in Ratchaburi.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/26/nat...al_30004961.php

---------------------------

24 deaths thus far from Safari World... :D:o

I have a family friend who owns a tiger Zoo in sriracha in cholburi and he looks after the animals very well

Yeah... it's a wonderful place... :D

More Than 100 Tigers Killed (tv thread)

Special Investigation: Thailand, Safety Documentary On UK Television about Animal Parks (tv thread)

450 Illegal Tigers Seized From Private Thai Zoo (tv thread)

but at least they are equal-opportunity employers... Their human staff die just the same as their non-human staff does...

A teenage worker at the zoo tragically died after being mauled by six tigers in front of more than 100 shocked tourists.

"She passed away in hospital," a spokeswoman from the Sri Racha Tiger Zoo southeast of Bangkok said, declining to elaborate on the attack that took place on Thursday. Media reports said 18-year-old Uraiwan Sansern received deep wounds and a cracked spine when she was set upon by six Bengal tigers she was handling for the benefit of tourists.

The young worker was reportedly untrained to handle the dangerous animals, and was trying to make a tiger sit for tourists by hitting it with a stick when the attack occurred.

With apologies, as it's a friend of your family, but the Sriracha Tiger Zoo is an abomination and an embarrassment that disgraces the good name of Sriracha.

:o

well ive never been there pesonally,He is just a friend who takes me around bangkok.

Tigers dont live forever and the bird flu problem wasnt really his fault.

Tigers can snap just like human can, it probaly got sick of getting tapped on the head and just snaped.

I promised to visit his zoo next time there. I heard its a good place and I will judge it for myself.

Their cousins, orang-utans, haven't faired any better in Thailand :D :

3 more orang-utans reported dead

Three more orang-utans smuggled from Indonesia to a Bangkok zoo were reported yesterday to have died.

The animals, part of a group of about 50 due to be sent back to Borneo shortly, have been held at a research centre in Ratchaburi.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/26/nat...al_30004961.php

---------------------------

24 deaths thus far from Safari World... :D:o

I have a family friend who owns a tiger Zoo in sriracha in cholburi and he looks after the animals very well

well ive never been there pesonally,He is just a friend who takes me around bangkok.

Well He tells me great stories about his Zoo, he is a great bloke so I thought his Zoo would be great too.

Personally Zoo's bore me. I loves tigers but the rest is crap.

A few tigers dying here or there isnt really a big probelm

Tigers can snap just like human can, it probaly got sick of getting tapped on the head and just snaped.

I promised to visit his zoo next time there. I heard its a good place and I will judge it for myself.

Tigers don't live long when they are fed raw chicken meat in the middle of the bird flu epidemic...

Not "it" (singular), there were six tigers that attacked her. She wasn't "tapping" them on the head, she was smacking them hard. Why? Because she was completely untrained and had no concept of what she was doing. Why was an 18 year-old totally untrained worker in an enclosure with six tigers? Because the Zoo is a dispicable, chaotic, dangerous, uncaring, unprofessional, money-maker where safety, decency, common sense, and foresight are non-existent.

There are many reasons why it's been lambasted by every nature organization on this planet. It isn't a zoo, it's a factory illegally breeding tigers for sale to the Chinese for use in restaurants and medicinal treatments. The bad press I mentioned above is just a small sample that has appeared just on this board. A simple search will produce those and other atrocities committed at this

hel_l-hole.

Your friend would do well by the members of this community to close it down...

We don't deserve to have the good name of this town dragged through the mud every time he has a new scandal....

Edited by sriracha john

Well He tells me great stories about his Zoo, he is a great bloke so I thought his Zoo would be great too.

Personally Zoo's bore me. I loves tigers but the rest is crap.

A few tigers dying here or there isnt really a big probelm

You might be a bit more thoughtful prior to recommending a place.

If you love tigers, you'll hate this place.

It wasn't a few tigers, between the bird flu deaths and illegal shipments to China, hundreds of these rapidly disappearing and one of Nature's most spectacular animals, died horrendously.

His illegal breeding program further destroys the gene pool and endangers it's very survival.

They can't close this abysmal death pit soon enough.

Until the police start doing their job Thailand is destined to remain in the category of Third World. I see no reason to think this will change anytime soon. This country’s treatment of all animals, all animals, is absolutely pathetic. :o:D

Not just gibbons. I saw a guy with a chained eagle at a scenic lookout near Kata, close to the elephant safari on the way to Nai Harn - which in actual fact is home to a couple of cheeky gibbons that do have the freedom to roam there. An English acquaintance tells me these gibbons mugged him while riding by recently and had to pay the keepers a hundred baht to retrieve his bag. :D

While on the subject of Siracha Tiger Zoo, did you see the video posted (I think on Google video) recently about the Thai guy in Siracha Tiger Zoo's Crocodile show getting his arm bitten off?

It's a tourist trap, avoid.

While on the subject of Siracha Tiger Zoo, did you see the video posted (I think on Google video) recently about the Thai guy in Siracha Tiger Zoo's Crocodile show getting his arm bitten off?

Well no trap so worse than any other trap - worth a quick look and no more. (repeat visits forget about it)

Yes - the croc video was bit of a laff - knew when he kept hitting the crocs snout the croc would have his revenge.

Tigers don't live long when they are fed raw chicken meat in the middle of the bird flu epidemic...

Not "it" (singular), there were six tigers that attacked her. She wasn't "tapping" them on the head, she was smacking them hard. Why? Because she was completely untrained and had no concept of what she was doing. Why was an 18 year-old totally untrained worker in an enclosure with six tigers? Because the Zoo is a dispicable, chaotic, dangerous, uncaring, unprofessional, money-maker where safety, decency, common sense, and foresight are non-existent.

There are many reasons why it's been lambasted by every nature organization on this planet. It isn't a zoo, it's a factory illegally breeding tigers for sale to the Chinese for use in restaurants and medicinal treatments. The bad press I mentioned above is just a small sample that has appeared just on this board. A simple search will produce those and other atrocities committed at this

hel_l-hole.

Your friend would do well by the members of this community to close it down...

We don't deserve to have the good name of this town dragged through the mud every time he has a new scandal....

Maybe she lied in her application that she was a tiger expert, The bird flu is something that cant be controlled. Even human still eat them.

Ive read the articles and there not that bad, i think there just speculation and probaly not even true, just some young jouralist trying to make a name for himself.

My mate loves his Zoo, you should all visit it regulary so he can give the tigers first class treatment.

Not the zoos fault then if she lied!! How is a zoo expected to know if an 18 year old girl lied about being a trained tiger expert! :o:D:D:D:D

This story is of course tragic - not funny. But your defence for this place is laughable!

Donz, really is not too difficult with a bit of effort and it's not the end of the world, try with me slowly:

I don't know s**t about this zoo , I am sorry guys.

repeat till it comes naturally....

Edited by KhunMarco

Well no trap so worse than any other trap - worth a quick look and no more. (repeat visits forget about it)

Yes - the croc video was bit of a laff - knew when he kept hitting the crocs snout the croc would have his revenge.

If there was any doubt as to why someone should not ever visit Sriracha Tiger Zoo, even once...

here is just a small sample:

Sri Racha Tiger Zoo: The tiger zoo PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT THIS CRUELTY

Written by vtanonymoustips on December 14, 2005.

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT THIS "ATTRACTION" THAT ABUSES ANIMALS CONTINUALLY Please DO NOT financially support the cruelty of animals by visiting this supposed attraction. Personally i see no attraction of watching animals perform knowing they have been stolen from their natural habitat and beaten, starved, chained in positions that dont even allow the animal to sit in a natural way. All of these animals are mistreated in unimaginable ways and although there are people out their trying to prevent this abuse not all humans feel the same way and seem to find it acceptable to not only carry out this abuse but also to support it by financially supporting the institutes that iniciate the abuse.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Thailand

========================================

The Born Free Foundation has long been publicly critical of the conditions Sri Racha Tiger Zoo in Thailand and the zoo is now receiving more bad press: A government official is facing serious disciplinary charges after authorising the export of 100 tigers from the zoo to a Chinese theme park (see below for links to that story).

Also, regarding the death of the zoo worker:

The Born Free Foundation is saddened but not surprised by this tragic accident. We have long felt there was an accident waiting to happen at Sri Racha Zoo. The conditions for the tigers in the zoo are grim. Reports from the Animals Asia Foundation, the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and from distressed visitors to the zoo paint a picture of a tiger production line.

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/zoocheck/zcnews040501.shtml

=======================================

Tiger Torture

Review from michaelhudson

I was slightly disconcerted after taking my uncomfortable bench seat that it took fifteen minutes merely to get the crocodiles onto the central island. My initial amusement at the sight of the crocodiles being cajoled onto land only to slide straight off again as the 'entertainers' paused for applause, turned to boredom and then anger as the poor animals were dragged, kicked and repeatedly prodded with sticks.

Assured that the 'Tiger Show' was great entertainment, I took my seat next to a cage that resembled that surrounding a discus thrower in the Olympics. Suffice to say if your idea of fun is to watch a man sit on a tiger and repeatedly pull its ears, a monkey try to jump over the cage only to be pushed down with another of those ubiquitous sticks or unwilling animals being hit until they climb onto precarious tightropes then this is the show for you! As for myself, I took my leave well before the end of the sad exhibition.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/destinations-inter...ons-106/326593/

===================================

Three former senior forestry officials, including permanent secretary for natural resources and environment Plodprasop Suraswadi, committed serious disciplinary violations in the case involving the export of 100 tigers to China by a private zoo, a panel says.

A committee investigating the case met on Wednesday and confirmed its earlier finding that former forestry chief Mr Plodprasop and two other former senior forestry officials broke a regulation under the Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act in approving a request by Sriracha Tigers Zoo company to export the tigers for commercial purposes and not for breeding and exhibition as the company had claimed.

www.warthai.org/education/wildlifetrade.htm

=========================================

One of the zoo's owners, Sommai Temsiripong, faces charges for breeding tigers without a permit.

Campaigners have already raised issues about Sriracha. Sarah Christie, of the Zoological Society of London, said: "The way in which tigers are kept and bred , with such unnaturally large social groupings, is completely alien and different to carnivore breeding management elsewhere." Each of the Bengal tigresses on display can produce a dozen cubs a year for around 15 years. In tropical climes, most are perpetually on heat and because some tiger mothers routinely eat or abandon their offspring, cubs often are separated and raised alongside pigs. The zookeepers claim this practice hastens the tigers' growth rate by up to 25 per cent.

But Victor Watkins of the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), said: "Behind the scenes there are hundreds more tigers being bred in appalling conditions. The park states that there are no more than 200-400 tigers there. But they are breeding lots of new cubs every year, which prove impossible to trace. They say they are being bred for zoos but we can find no evidence of that."

http://asiahumananimalrights.8k.com/photo6.html

IF Donz requires more, there's 297 matches for "Sriracha Tiger Zoo Bad" on a yahoo search...

I would just add that without his political and business connections, Khun Sommai would be in jail and the Zoo closed down.

Edited by sriracha john

I was invited to go to a zoo in taiwan while there on a business trip . . . bloody disgusting.

Why can't they take a leaf out of the Singapore Zoo book?!

The Singapore Zoo looks after their animals exceptionally well and have first rate facilities. However, they still drag their animals out to have little tea parties with, and pose for pictures being cuddled by, visitors to the zoo.

Is this very much different from a sea eagle or gibbon in Patong?

If there was any doubt as to why someone should not ever visit Sriracha Tiger Zoo, even once...

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT THIS "ATTRACTION" THAT ABUSES ANIMALS CONTINUALLY Please DO NOT financially support the cruelty of animals by visiting this supposed attraction. Personally i see no attraction of watching animals perform knowing they have been stolen from their natural habitat and beaten, starved, chained in positions that dont even allow the animal to sit in a natural way. All of these animals are mistreated in unimaginable ways and although there are people out their trying to prevent this abuse not all humans feel the same way and seem to find it acceptable to not only carry out this abuse but also to support it by financially supporting the institutes that iniciate the abuse.

The Born Free Foundation has long been publicly critical of the conditions Sri Racha Tiger Zoo in Thailand and the zoo is now receiving more bad press: A government official is facing serious disciplinary charges after authorising the export of 100 tigers from the zoo to a Chinese theme park (see below for links to that story).

The Born Free Foundation is saddened but not surprised by this tragic accident. We have long felt there was an accident waiting to happen at Sri Racha Zoo. The conditions for the tigers in the zoo are grim. Reports from the Animals Asia Foundation, the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and from distressed visitors to the zoo paint a picture of a tiger production line.

Tiger Torture

I was slightly disconcerted after taking my uncomfortable bench seat that it took fifteen minutes merely to get the crocodiles onto the central island. My initial amusement at the sight of the crocodiles being cajoled onto land only to slide straight off again as the 'entertainers' paused for applause, turned to boredom and then anger as the poor animals were dragged, kicked and repeatedly prodded with sticks.

Assured that the 'Tiger Show' was great entertainment, I took my seat next to a cage that resembled that surrounding a discus thrower in the Olympics. Suffice to say if your idea of fun is to watch a man sit on a tiger and repeatedly pull its ears, a monkey try to jump over the cage only to be pushed down with another of those ubiquitous sticks or unwilling animals being hit until they climb onto precarious tightropes then this is the show for you! As for myself, I took my leave well before the end of the sad exhibition.

Three former senior forestry officials, including permanent secretary for natural resources and environment Plodprasop Suraswadi, committed serious disciplinary violations in the case involving the export of 100 tigers to China by a private zoo, a panel says.

A committee investigating the case met on Wednesday and confirmed its earlier finding that former forestry chief Mr Plodprasop and two other former senior forestry officials broke a regulation under the Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act in approving a request by Sriracha Tigers Zoo company to export the tigers for commercial purposes and not for breeding and exhibition as the company had claimed.

One of the zoo's owners, Sommai Temsiripong, faces charges for breeding tigers without a permit.

Campaigners have already raised issues about Sriracha. Sarah Christie, of the Zoological Society of London, said: "The way in which tigers are kept and bred , with such unnaturally large social groupings, is completely alien and different to carnivore breeding management elsewhere." Each of the Bengal tigresses on display can produce a dozen cubs a year for around 15 years. In tropical climes, most are perpetually on heat and because some tiger mothers routinely eat or abandon their offspring, cubs often are separated and raised alongside pigs. The zookeepers claim this practice hastens the tigers' growth rate by up to 25 per cent.

But Victor Watkins of the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), said: "Behind the scenes there are hundreds more tigers being bred in appalling conditions. The park states that there are no more than 200-400 tigers there. But they are breeding lots of new cubs every year, which prove impossible to trace. They say they are being bred for zoos but we can find no evidence of that."

IF Donz requires more, there's 297 matches for "Sriracha Tiger Zoo Bad" on a yahoo search...

I would just add that without his political and business connections, Khun Sommai would be in jail and the Zoo closed down.

Most of that is just bull, Those guys are just animal lovers and probaly preach about bird cages are bad etc.

You should not always believe everything you read.

Tiger Torture

Most of that is just bull, Those guys are just animal lovers and probaly preach about bird cages are bad etc.

You should not always believe everything you read.

Which is why I included quotes from joe average tourist travel impressions along with the professional nature groups' reviews. The condemnation of the Zoo is across the board...

If you don't believe things you read, then how about things you see?

I'm sure photos of the 18 year-old untrained zoo worker's mangled and mauled body after it was torn to shreds by six tigers is available somewhere in the online thai news services world. Would that help to sway your opinion any?

I do appreciate your comments, however... as you are digging this excrement pit of a business an even deeper and deeper hole with each response.

With each view... the light is shined onto this disgraceful, shameful horror..

Thank you... as every informed reader is a potential customer loss to this appalling deathtrap..

Looking forward to many more replies... :o

Well accidents do happend.

No Zoo is perfect, the guy has alot of paying customers all the time, so it must be a good zoo.

All these people who are complaining about it are just disapointed that it wasnt what they expected, they probaly thought it was going to be like dysney land.

They even have protesters about sydney zoo, its almost perfect and they complain about all Zoos. Always making it out to be worse then it actually is

Well accidents do happend.

No Zoo is perfect, the guy has alot of paying customers all the time, so it must be a good zoo.

All these people who are complaining about it are just disapointed that it wasnt what they expected, they probaly thought it was going to be like dysney land.

They even have protesters about sydney zoo, its almost perfect and they complain about all Zoos. Always making it out to be worse then it actually is

Cool!!... more response... more thread views... more informed readers....and another bump up on the listing on the search engine results for Sriracha Tiger Zoo.

They pay dearly for this much publicity... too bad for them it's all bad publicity for them...

but hey,

you're doing great, Donz...

it IS closer to dyslexic land than a zoo... that's kinda of the point. however it certainly doesn't have the safety record or the good-intentioned reputation of Disney Land.

It actually has nothing to do with being a Zoo in the traditional sense of the word, their focus is not on educating the public or preservation of animals. They are only interested in making baht... and if that means in-breeding brother/sister tigers to fulfill an order for some tiger paws in China, then that's ok by them.

If it means jeopardizing patron's safety by ship-shod practices and cheaper short-cuts to safety, then so be it.

The reason it IS busy, is simply due to lack of information....it's because by and large, people DO love tigers and think, albeit misguidedly, that visiting this place will help in that cause... People DO like tigers because they ARE one of Nature's highest achievements...

but I seriously thank you for helping to spread the true word about this place... so that more and more potential payees can make a more informed decision

and do so BEFORE they put their 500 baht into Khun Sommai's pocket.

So that they can begin to question whether to go there or not...

If this keeps up, maybe we can bankrupt the place...

:D

I was invited to go to a zoo in taiwan while there on a business trip . . . bloody disgusting.

Why can't they take a leaf out of the Singapore Zoo book?!

The Singapore Zoo looks after their animals exceptionally well and have first rate facilities. However, they still drag their animals out to have little tea parties with, and pose for pictures being cuddled by, visitors to the zoo.

Is this very much different from a sea eagle or gibbon in Patong?

To 'catch' a baby gibbon, you have to shoot the mother while shes holding the baby. IF the bullet doesn't hit the baby and IF the baby survives the fall and/or IF another family member doesn't get to the baby before the poacher does, then they have their gibbon. So, in that respect, yes, it is somewhat different.

Sea Eagles (just as likely to be a Brahminy Kite as most folks don't know the difference) are not endangered.

All zoos suck. Donz is being feed a line by his mate at the zoo. Dude, tigers are treated like siht here... just like almost all animals are treated. How on earth can you defend that place? Bad parenting would be my guess.