traffic in the City today

scotinsiam

Hi folks,

I have only been back here for 2 days but am finding the traffic horrible. I have been into the inner moat about 3 times and it's horrible! street stalls - parking / unloading everywhere and the usual skillful driving.

I know the flower festival is on but is this normal? I think I will be heading off for a few days to get away from this madness! Anyone know the best route to Sukhothai

New Year's Day, CMU graduation, Chinese New Year, Flower Festival, Songkran, and on and on. Throw in some concerts, other graduations, lesser festivals, protests, downpours, street repairs and miscellaneous other traffic impediments and the fun never ends. Welcome back to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Yup, just the flower festival. Every year in Feb.

Been here for a few of them but only bought a vehicle last year, I think I will sell it ! went to Moon Muang area for a couple of beers earlier on songtaw and it was brutal - lol

Anyone know the best route to Sukhothai

Yep, by air ;-)

Hate to bring em into a harmless thread but you can also blame the Shins for a lot of the extra traffic.

VIP bus to Phitsanulaok (5-6 hours and 350 baht each way) then change bus to Sukhothai.

I'd agree the traffic is a tad heavy, but it's Saturday, so we have Wulai walking street and the Flower Festival, adding to the fun..

post-153732-0-12746400-1391876607_thumb.

....not to mention crazy people standing in the middle of the traffic taking photos w00t.gif

(no, not me.... I was behind a traffic barrier!)

Edited by Rob8891

The airport was a ZOO today. I've never seen it as busy as it was today. Total chaos. Chinese people EVERYWHERE, awkwardly making their way around the place, bumping into each other, kids running about.

Traffic on the way back was insane too.

Pesky flowers.

The airport was a ZOO today. I've never seen it as busy as it was today. Total chaos. Chinese people EVERYWHERE, awkwardly making their way around the place, bumping into each other, kids running about.

Traffic on the way back was insane too.

Pesky flowers.

I had no problem there. Picked up my boy at 3:30 and grabbed a cab. No problem the driver was smart enough to stay away from the flower festival even though it would have been the fastest way. Found it quite interesting as he used streets I had never been on before.

The flower festival may have been ok at its current location years ago when there wasn't much traffic, but now ought to be moved to a location where it would be less disruptive.

Disrupting and blocking traffic allows people to walk more freely and enjoy the city, flower festivalthumbsup.gif .

The flower festival may have been ok at its current location years ago when there wasn't much traffic, but now ought to be moved to a location where it would be less disruptive.

Disrupting and blocking traffic allows people to walk more freely and enjoy the city, flower festivalthumbsup.gif .

You do have a point; a lot of people who don't have cars do visit the flower festival area as it's easy to get to, even on foot or cheap on public transport. Once you move it out (say, to the Royal Flora area or Chiang Mai convention center), you force more people into their cars to create traffic jams at those locations.

We don't mind the traffic at all. We simply don't get involved with it. Problem solved.

We use a motor scooter when there isn't a 'Madness Event' going on, just normal traffic jams and ridiculous tourist drivers on the streets. And for festivals, graduations, mall opening, holidays, and days that end with a 'y,' we just take a selor or walk. Every place in Chiang Mai is within walking distance if you have the time.