No second poll decree required, Thai govt says

webfact

This slithering around by the EC shows their utter contempt for the roughly 20 million people who have already voted, and for the millions more who still want to do so. It has nothing to do with laws or decrees or deadlines. It is, plain and simple, an attack on the democratic will of the Thai people as expressed clearly on Feb 2nd 2014.

I'll take what the EC says over a keyboard leprechaun any day

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll respect the votes of 20,000,000 Thai people over the word of 5 corrupt commissioners and 1 troll any day.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

well the 12 million who didn't vote for PTP. I hope you respect that lot, or is it just the 8 million who voted for Thaksin you respect.

Truth is.... Reading through all your posts in this thread, I doubt you even know your own mind.

Thaksin owns it lock, stock and barrel... well done at squandering your mental independence for someone who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and nor would any of his red supporters. You would be just an amusement to them.

This slithering around by the EC shows their utter contempt for the roughly 20 million people who have already voted, and for the millions more who still want to do so. It has nothing to do with laws or decrees or deadlines. It is, plain and simple, an attack on the democratic will of the Thai people as expressed clearly on Feb 2nd 2014.

I'll take what the EC says over a keyboard leprechaun any day

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll respect the votes of 20,000,000 Thai people over the word of 5 corrupt commissioners and 1 troll any day.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

well the 12 million who didn't vote for PTP. I hope you respect that lot, or is it just the 8 million who voted for Thaksin you respect.

Truth is.... Reading through all your posts in this thread, I doubt you even know your own mind.

Thaksin owns it lock, stock and barrel... well done at squandering your mental independence for someone who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire and nor would any of his red supporters. You would be just an amusement to them.

The Thais have an expression....."Up to you". Many of the people who didn't vote were prevented from doing so by the threat of terrorism, but for anyone who was entitled to vote and freely chose not to then 'Up to them'. If they can't be bothered to vote then they don't deserve an ounce of respect. None whatsoever. They'll just have to be happy with whatever government the voters choose.

• Like 1

Well either the Thais are incapable of writing laws or the minions reading them can't understand them. How you can get to a situation where the government doesn't really know if the vote will be valid or not given it will not be held on one day as the constitution seems to require and that there must be some interpretation of what has to now happen sort of sums up the whole sorry process. How can anyone have any confidence in a place that seems to have trouble with the most basic and fundamental requirements of a democracy. It would be funny but ordinary people with ordinary lives suffer because of the lack of responsibility and ethics of these scumbags on both sides.

Someone help Thailand please!

We're certainly at a junction.

Either the Constitution is not sophisticated enough or the unfolding of events is too complex for it.

You can see why the EC may say that the only option is to scrap it and start again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If a constitution allows a tiny gang of troublemakers to obstruct a national election by obstructing no more than 6% of polling stations then it is obviously not fit for purpose. I think it's an appalling state of affairs that just five HiSo appointed commissioners and a handful of judges can hold a country of 67 million people to ransom.

You don't need 5 HiSo commissioners or a handful of judges to hold a country to ransom. Just the Constitution. Pure and simple. And that is what TS and his cronies despise.

Well either the Thais are incapable of writing laws or the minions reading them can't understand them. How you can get to a situation where the government doesn't really know if the vote will be valid or not given it will not be held on one day as the constitution seems to require and that there must be some interpretation of what has to now happen sort of sums up the whole sorry process. How can anyone have any confidence in a place that seems to have trouble with the most basic and fundamental requirements of a democracy. It would be funny but ordinary people with ordinary lives suffer because of the lack of responsibility and ethics of these scumbags on both sides.

Someone help Thailand please!

We're certainly at a junction.

Either the Constitution is not sophisticated enough or the unfolding of events is too complex for it.

You can see why the EC may say that the only option is to scrap it and start again

If a constitution allows a tiny gang of troublemakers to obstruct a national election by obstructing no more than 6% of polling stations then it is obviously not fit for purpose. I think it's an appalling state of affairs that just five HiSo appointed commissioners and a handful of judges can hold a country of 67 million people to ransom.

You really need to look at the root cause.

The cheating and lying in the house over the amnesty bill, the senate bill, the 2.2T loan bill and the foreign government bill is what triggered this - in particular the lack of punishment for the frightful crimes against democracy.

Had there been a working mechanism for this then we wouldn't have had the street protest with all the associated outrage.

The election law itself works in most cases although obviously not in this contorted instance. The law should be amended to put the full power in the EC's hands over election date to that their recommendations cannot be overruled by self-serving caretaker governments.

So Suthep is quite right to insist on reform preelection although he has no more claim to selecting a reform council that my cat.

Rugby starts in 40 minutes and you Irish boys will be crying in O'Driscoll's beer before the Bangkok day has turned.

Cymru am byth.

This is rubbish from EC. Had it been "an act of god" preventing voting in some constituencies, he would not be calling for a new decree. This is political. No need...just get on with it, organise the election and do your job or F off

I think it may depend on whether new candidate registrations are required. If it was simply moving the poll date because of an "act of god", then that might be fine.

Some electorates have no candidates, so candidate registration is needs to be done again. Some electorates had incomplete polling, so do people who didn't get to vote just miss out, or does a the full election need to be rerun for that electorate?

There was a royal decree for the by-elections for the 8 Democrat MPs that resigned last November, so there is a precedent for the royal decree for by-elections.

Do you know why a royal decree was then necessary?

For the same reasons as they're necessary now?? Maybe because that's what the law says is required?? Do you know?

Well I sure don't and can't see any reference to it in the constitution and election guidelines one way or another. Stick it in the court to decide again I assume will be the outcome.

One thing I will agree on is things need to be made a lot clearer, funny how its all of a sudden so hard and a couple of years ago it was never any problem. What a total mess.

Most civilised/developed countries have a constitution that was written over a period of decades and probably centuries. They have law makers, a judiciary and lawyers who are qualified experts on that constitution.

Here it seems it was written last week by Noddy & Big Ears

Most civilised/developed countries have a constitution that was written over a period of decades and probably centuries. They have law makers, a judiciary and lawyers who are qualified experts on that constitution.

Here it seems it was written last week by Noddy & Big Ears

You forgot Mr Plod who would add a legal balance to the team.

• Like 1

So you saying that the EC should declare the elections full and final even though 28 constituencies are short and that means parliament can never been convened???

Is that what you are saying?

Are you saying that Thailand can never again have an elected government as long as any half-arsed bunch of terrorists.........

.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

.........can disrupt voting in more than 5% of constituencies? Is that what you're saying? So if there was ever an election that the laughable 'Democrat' party had a chance of winning, all the reds would have to do is block voting in 6% of constituencies in the north east and Thailand would never have a government again?

Is that what you're saying? Any tiny group of terrorists can control Thailand as long as they can block a few polling stations?

Why don't the CC and EC stop dicking around and finish the election so we can see who won......like we don't know already.

Or maybe this lot..........

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

............should have a veto on Thai elections?

No no no, Thailand can never again have an elected government of which the establishment disapproves.

If the reds were to try such a stunt, then they would either change the rules, or possibly just shoot them.

• Like 1

I think it may depend on whether new candidate registrations are required. If it was simply moving the poll date because of an "act of god", then that might be fine.

Some electorates have no candidates, so candidate registration is needs to be done again. Some electorates had incomplete polling, so do people who didn't get to vote just miss out, or does a the full election need to be rerun for that electorate?

There was a royal decree for the by-elections for the 8 Democrat MPs that resigned last November, so there is a precedent for the royal decree for by-elections.

Do you know why a royal decree was then necessary?

For the same reasons as they're necessary now?? Maybe because that's what the law says is required?? Do you know?

Well I sure don't and can't see any reference to it in the constitution and election guidelines one way or another. Stick it in the court to decide again I assume will be the outcome.

One thing I will agree on is things need to be made a lot clearer, funny how its all of a sudden so hard and a couple of years ago it was never any problem. What a total mess.

Just on the issue of that by-election royal decree, I can't find a copy it anywhere, at least not in English. Thailaws.com is pretty comprehensive but looks like it hasn't been updated for a year or more.

What I did find were some TV links that the EC was initially happy to proceed with by-elections without any decree.

12 Nov 2013: EC ready to hold by-elections.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680989-thailand-live-tuesday-12-nov-2013/#entry7028610

and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681093-nine-democrats-mps-resign-to-lead-anti-government-protest/

13 Nov: By-elections to be held on December 22

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681205-thailand-live-wednesday-13-nov-2013/page-3#entry7033887

So, I don't know if a decree was later deemed necessary because nobody came forward to contest the vacant seats or whether because the House was in recess and the new MPs would have joined a new session. This was all before the Dems resigned en masse.

As has been noted by others, the constitution makes it quite clear that a majority can be held hostage by a small minority - a minority that would hold zero power within a normally elected House. I cannot conceive that the constitution has been so written by accident.

God you are boring. Anyone that isn't licking the arse of Phuea Thai is 'corrupt' or a 'terrorist'. Shrieking 'terrorist' in every second post won't fool anyone and it just makes you look like a nut.

There's a very good photo of a PDRC terrorist wearing a balaclava and carrying an army issue TAR21 concealed inside a bag. You know the one. It seems to have almost entirely disappeared from the internet, which makes me think it has been banned, so I'm not going to reproduce it here. But we all know what a PDRC terrorist looks like. Balaclava, concealed weapon, shooting civilians......meets my definition of terrorist any day.

post-70418-0-71635800-1391877565_thumb.j

Edited by Spalpeen

God you are boring. Anyone that isn't licking the arse of Phuea Thai is 'corrupt' or a 'terrorist'. Shrieking 'terrorist' in every second post won't fool anyone and it just makes you look like a nut.

There's a very good photo of a PDRC terrorist wearing a balaclava and carrying an army issue TAR21 concealed inside a bag. You know the one. It seems to have almost entirely disappeared from the internet, which makes me think it has been banned, so I'm not going to reproduce it here. But we all know what a PDRC terrorist looks like. Balaclava, concealed weapon, shooting civilians......meets my definition of terrorist any day.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually there's a very good picture of someone alleged to be a member of the PDRC. Get it right!..... until he is caught we have no idea who he was with or the motives!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think Wirat is correct, a general election was held, there were no candidates,the poll has closed , so the whole shebang has to be done again.coffee1.gif

Agreed I will drink to that probably a Pepsi Max or soda water.

I wonder what brand of ear medicine Chalerm will drink to drown his woes in.

the best way to handle the whole situation is to set up a non partisan commission to go over the constitution and make some needed changes. Then an election pretty much like Suthep wants.

I for one think the king is a good choice to pick the chairperson and maybe look over the choices not to ok them but if he sees some thing he thinks the chair is unaware of mention it to him or her.

This will never fly as Thailand as a whole is not that interested in getting an honest election. The worse it gets with the rice scam the more Thailand is willing to give it a try. But not at this time. It will take another fiasco before they are that willing.

What will probably happen or should happen if that fails is a new election with all parties involved regardless if they voted in the last election or not people should be allowed to run. Take what the results are and do not allow a dissolution of the house if the heat gets to hot for the Prime Minister they may resign and the house will elect a new one. The four year term must be served before a new election.

The EC should be allocated twice the amount of money they spent on the Feb.2 election in order to hire out side impersonal observers with the power to step in when they see irregularities. Any one caught buying a vote or accepting a bribe should be fined double the bribe make this well known. All ballot boxes should be handled in such a way as there is no chance of them being tampered with and when counting the votes it should be done in teams consisting of a PTP supporter and an anti government protestor.wai.gif

Just on the issue of that by-election royal decree, I can't find a copy it anywhere, at least not in English. Thailaws.com is pretty comprehensive but looks like it hasn't been updated for a year or more.

What I did find were some TV links that the EC was initially happy to proceed with by-elections without any decree.

12 Nov 2013: EC ready to hold by-elections.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680989-thailand-live-tuesday-12-nov-2013/#entry7028610

and

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681093-nine-democrats-mps-resign-to-lead-anti-government-protest/

13 Nov: By-elections to be held on December 22

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681205-thailand-live-wednesday-13-nov-2013/page-3#entry7033887

So, I don't know if a decree was later deemed necessary because nobody came forward to contest the vacant seats or whether because the House was in recess and the new MPs would have joined a new session. This was all before the Dems resigned en masse.

As has been noted by others, the constitution makes it quite clear that a majority can be held hostage by a small minority - a minority that would hold zero power within a normally elected House. I cannot conceive that the constitution has been so written by accident.

Here is the direct link to the the last article mentioned.

By-elections to be held on December 22
November 13, 2013 3:04 pm
The Election Commission decided Wednesday to hold by-elections for eight constituencies on December 22, EC commissioner Prapun Naigowit said.
The EC will inform the Cabinet, which will send a royal decree to set the election date for a royal command soon, Prapun said.

Pipkins. It's amazing that you couldn't find the pictures. Seeing as how you posted them here on TV.

Here ya go!

Oh I have them all right, but I was wise enough to notice that they have been removed from almost all of the websites that previously displayed them.

And don't call me Pipkins.

Pipkins. It's amazing that you couldn't find the pictures. Seeing as how you posted them here on TV.

Here ya go!

Oh I have them all right, but I was wise enough to notice that they have been removed from almost all of the websites that previously displayed them.

And don't call me Pipkins.

Sorry spalpeen

I found that one on Thai Visa. Pipkins posted it. Hence the mistake.