Police Annoyance..

magic

I live in an apartment in the Thong Lor area. In the past few months I have been stopped about 5 or 6 times by police on a motorbike. (one time, even before I got out of my taxi they opened the door!) I could swear they are practically singling me out. It happens when I am returning to my apartment from midnight on..

We seem to go throught the same routine of them checking every pocket, every crevise of my wallet, etc. Of course they have never found anything that is illegal on me. One time they found playing cards on me which should be no problem as long as they are not witnessing gambling activities. It's like they are really trying to catch me with drugs or something, but fail every time.

I told one Thai friend about this, & she said they should not even be allowed to search me. Does anybody know what they are allowed & not allowed to do?

It is really begining to piss me off now.. :o

I have always just went along with this, but I am beginging to lose my cool. I have heard the stories of some corupt Thai police, so my heart beat picks up its pace at every encounter. It's enough to make me want to get another place to stay..

Edited by magic

uhhh are you sure they are real police? do you look like a sasquatch or something? :o

well, maybe you can tell me why they would want to stop me:

//link to blog removed//

How do you tell "real" police from the fake ones? I understand that there is some drug activity in the area that the supposedly patrol for, but repeatidly stopping the same guy is a little absurd..

I have only ever had this happen to me once mate, and when it did happen my wife told me to keep a close eye on them as they may well slip a ya'e or similer in my wallet. If you are alone and they do this I guess you have no leg to stand on, but just watch out.

I was in BKK when it happened, but I live elsewhere. We have only ever had a problem with the cops in BKK in the last 4 years.

Guest endure

uhhh are you sure they are real police? do you look like a sasquatch or something? :D

well, maybe you can tell me why they would want to stop me:

//blog removed//

Because of your exceptionally dodgy taste in music? :o:D

this is thailand. everyone you meet is a informant in one form or another. there are no secrets here. of course that is also why , even we know, corruption is rampant, and why you may end up being singled out to be "relieved of some of your excess smile".

I've never had any problems with the Police in Thailand, always been smiling and helpful... the only minor problem is the want to practice their English with me and me trying very hard to understand :o

totster :D

I've never had any problems with the Police in Thailand, always been smiling and helpful... the only minor problem is the want to practice their English with me and me trying very hard to understand :o

Ditto. A couple of the guys at my local nick have got used to the sight of me walking around and if they see me driving they salute! I salute back and we get on fine. Mind you, we drink in the same bars.

I've never had any problems with the Police in Thailand, always been smiling and helpful... the only minor problem is the want to practice their English with me and me trying very hard to understand :D

Ditto. A couple of the guys at my local nick have got used to the sight of me walking around and if they see me driving they salute! I salute back and we get on fine. Mind you, we drink in the same bars.

Well, maybe I have to start drinking in the cop bars & buddy up with them... :o

Well, maybe I have to start drinking in the cop bars & buddy up with them... :D

Not a bad idea, it has proved invaluable for me in the past. I play snooker with a lot of them and they have helped me out when i needed a favour when i had problems with a rented condo. The owers were refusing to give me my deposit back, some really lame excuse about damage to the bed, but the bed was already on its last legs when we moved in, and i pointed it out.

Should of got it in writing really. Anyway a quiet word with one of the lads, he popped round and had a "word" and came back with my deposit, needless to say he also did very well out of it :o He didnt ask for anything but i think it was a good idea to give him a bit just to keep him sweet :D You never know when you will need his services again.