Return Work Permit

Hi There:

I am looking for some advice regarding the following. I am finish employment with a company and know that I have to return my work permit to the labor department.

But I would like to find out the timing...for example if my last day is the 31st, how many days do I have to turn in the work permit,,,and do I have to go to immigration first or after I turn in the work permit.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

J

You have 7 days to hand it in and Immigration will give you 7 days grace to leave the country.

7 days AND it's enforced. I know that one personally. I quit work at my old company, to start my own business. I cancelled my work-permit in order to re-apply under my own business. But I had offically "quit" two weeks before I re-applied, i got hit with a 7 day overstay fee, even though my visa was still valid.

Edited by jaiyenjohn

I thought a Non-Imm B visa (assuming that's what you had) was cancelled at the same date as a work permit, as they are linked?

You're right: work permit and visa are kinked. As soon as your wp is cancelled, your visa will be cancelled automatically.

The 7 days + 7 days are correct, but instead of leaving the country, you could use the 7 days to apply for a new work permit. Usually this goes pretty simple (with the proper paperwork from your new employer).

I changed jobs some times now and I'm still in Thailand on my first non-immigrant B visa which was obtained in sep-2003.

IF you have a new job than please don't wait until your former employer cancels the wp, you can do this yourself when you start the application of a new wp.