Visiting Kuala Lumpur

eljuwa

Hello Members

I am visiting Kuala Lumpur on Friday, 14 February for 5 days. I am staying at the Eastin Hotel.

This visit is only for some R and R. I am not really interested in doing any tours except a visit to the Petronas Towers.

I am very interested in going to 5 good restaurants in the KL Center area.

I like Malaysian, Indian, French, Italian and Japanese food.

I like good places (not dumps) and am not interested in the price of food.

Please recommend 5 places with Malaysian, Indian, French, Italian and Japanese food.

Thanks very much.

I go to KL a lot on business and often eat at some great restaurants. My recs are:

Japanese - Ozeki (Japanese chefs, fusion/modern)

French - Yeast (in Bangsar)

Indian - Nirwana (banana leaf, modest setting but VERY good. Also in Bangsar)

Italian - Trattoria Italian

Malaysian - remember, Malaysian can be Indian, Chinese, Malay, or a combination of the three. Madam Kwan's top floor of KLCC mall is very good and user friendly.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JXXXL

Little off topic but to go up the Patronas towers you can only go as high as the bridge between the two buildings. You have to be there at 7:00 AM to get a ticket and there is only a limited amount of them sold. They do how ever have a tower you can go up that is about 300 feet up and on top of a hill where you can look down on the Petronas towers.

There is also a food court there that my wife tells me has excellent Thai food. Good thing she can't read English. It said it was a Malaysian food stall. I very wisely kept my mouth shut. In fact two days later she wanted to go back to it. The rest of it I am not a picky eater so can't judge.

Enjoy. If you go to the zoo you have to arrange for the cab driver to pick you up. We found it nice there.

Across the road from the Swiss hotel near low yat is an Indian restaurant, does look like much but the food is very good and cheap. The other thing you can do is to check on Trip advisor they advertise foodie tours. We did one in 2011 and it was great.

• Like 1

Little off topic but to go up the Patronas towers you can only go as high as the bridge between the two buildings. You have to be there at 7:00 AM to get a ticket and there is only a limited amount of them sold. They do how ever have a tower you can go up that is about 300 feet up and on top of a hill where you can look down on the Petronas towers.

There is also a food court there that my wife tells me has excellent Thai food. Good thing she can't read English. It said it was a Malaysian food stall. I very wisely kept my mouth shut. In fact two days later she wanted to go back to it. The rest of it I am not a picky eater so can't judge.

Enjoy. If you go to the zoo you have to arrange for the cab driver to pick you up. We found it nice there.

Unless things have changed in the last 12 months or so, you can now go to the top of one of the towers, well worth it. I know that previously this was not possible.

Like all members, I will go off topic. If you havnt been to Batu Farringi, (spelt something like that) you have missed a world class site. Google it.

I must confess I have not been to the beach in penang Batu ferrengi( star trek?) for a long time. First went there 30years ago and it was as you suggested...hovered I felt that it had all deteriorated over the years...Think there are better places unless it has changed significantly

.agree bangsar and mont kiara are nice places to eat..for rustic shop lot food try pj and damansasara utama...

Like all members, I will go off topic. If you havnt been to Batu Farringi, (spelt something like that) you have missed a world class site. Google it.

How off topic do you want to go? He's visiting KL not Penang.

In KL there is a massive cave, bigger than many football fields with temples built in them, thought it was called batu farringi, i did say excuse spelling.( just googled it, drop Farringi) Batu Caves.

Edited by aveabeeror2

Unless changed recently you normally go way way above the bridge -from memory that is level 46 and the top about 83. And you can book the day before so no need to go early. But leave a couple of hours to spend in the gardens below-amazing photos from there too.

Enjoy your trip.

I sampled an excellent Thai restaurant in KL - pricey, but the food and decor were superb. Thai staff, and the owner is a formidable woman with an appreciation of the importance of dressing for success, but they know what they are doing in the kitchen. Couldnt find the place again if my life depended on it - we pretty much staggered into it after my dining companion refused to eat the local food (!) because there were too many 'Indians' (they were mostly Malays ...) in the cafe-style restaurants we passed in our quest. My main objection to having lunch in such places is less about the price and more about the fact that you can find yourself the only customers in the restaurant at midday - my guess is that the business crowd save a venue like that for special celebrations - putting you front and centre among a phalanx of bored wait staff.

Visited Tatto Italian Restaurant over Chinese New Year.

You won't be disappointed.

http://tatto.com.my/

For a lively Latino Bar with good food, head to La Boca in the Pavillion. The owners are from Cuba and Iraq.

http://www.pavilion-kl.com/content/store_guide_detail.php?cat=5&catc=27&str=632

Both places are mentioned on Trip Advisor, along with many more .

http://www.tripadvisor.com.my/Restaurants-g298570-Kuala_Lumpur_Wilayah_Persekutuan.html

Edited by soihok

you should just stroll around Bukit Bintang, Chinatown, and Little India. Just look for the busy places, but it is really hard to go wrong.

I can't but help think that is terrible advice.

On my last-but-one trip there we were wandering around Little India looking for a place for lunch. There was a very busy restaurant, so we went in. To put it bluntly, the food was execrable. Many (perhaps less affluent) locals value affordability over quality. A place may be busy because it has great food, or because it's dirt cheap. Do your research, and go up-market if you want reliable, good quality food.

Bukit Bintang is fine though. Busy strip or bars and good street food (Chinese/Thai)

I haven't been to Bangsar for a while, a lot of Malaysians were telling me they don't drink there anymore, it's not 'cool' and so on

Solaris Dutamas is superb. Publika is a big complex or bars and restaurants. I'd be amazed if you couldn't find something you liked in terms of food and drink up there. Probably have to get a cab. Maybe 15-20 MYR from KLCC area if not rush hour

Mid Valley Mall should have good food options. SoHo in Mont Kiara also. KL is a big fan of these big complexes with several bars and restaurants in them

I don't know particular restaurants to check out though. Street food is also good, the curry and rice a la Khao Gairng in Thailand is good, Malay/Chinese/Singapore/Indian mix for 4-7 MYR