VAT refund recommendation?

build6

am in Bangkok now - am very tempted to buy one of the sweet MacBook Pros on offer, what with where the Thai baht is nowadays.

I'll be flying out of Suvarnabhumi in a couple of days - any recommendations for a good shop that'll do the VAT refund form?

I can't remember exactly where (but this might have been J avenue) but I was in one Mac shop and asked, and the answer was that they couldn't do the VAT refund for me, which adds up to quite a bit ........

every apple reseller in bbk does vat refund. Take your pick they are all crap compared to official Apple stores worldwide smile.png

heh, the salesperson i spoke to at the Siam Paragon Mac shop told me they don't do it thumbsup.gif oh well it's ok, standardised product so it doesn't matter if I buy from them or not...

My recommendation is to pay huge attention at the airport. They seem to deliberately make the downstairs customs desk hard to find and get to and if you dont get the customs stamp on your paperwork before you through security you have had it.

Annoyingly you get the stamp downstairs at the hidden office and then get the actual refund at the well-signposted place in the duty free area. My bet is that at least half the people going there for VAT refunds dont get them because they omitted to get the stamp on their paperwork downstairs.

One other option might be to buy from a King Power duty free shop before getting to the airport, or indeed buy the item in the duty free area if they stock it. I went to quite a lot of trouble to get my VAT refund paperwork for an item and was slightly annoyed on arrival at the airport to discover that the duty free price was exactly the same as the shop price I had paid less VAT.