Environmentally friendly toilet solutions for remote area?

SeaVisionBurma

Hoping some members will be able to assist with advice.

I am planning to install some toilets onto a remote island where we will be running a safari camp.

The island is pristine natural forest adjacent to the beach, so I need to find the best solution so there is zero harm to the surrounding environment.

Does anyone have any advice about what systems can be purchased in Thailand locally, and the type of system best to use (my thoughts are one where the solid and liquid waste is separated, and the solid waste is broken down by bacteria - with the liquid going to grey water - does this make sense?)

Is there an off the shelf system which would suit this application?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

SVB

You already know about this one SVB http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ss566 but I thought it may be of interest to others.

Is power available (or only green energy, solar) for pumping and aeration if you choose an aerobic system?

Sensible fresh water supply (I don't know how the septic bacteria react to salt water)?

How many people will the system serve? Is a simple 3 or 4 chamber septic with a planted wetland and a drain to the sea acceptable? (the mackerel get really big near the Bournemouth outfall)

How about a completely waterless system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composting_toilet which is what I suspect you are thinking of in your OP?

This may also be useful https://humanurehandbook.com/ after all, your clients are on-safari and basic sanitation (buckets) should be part of the experience. Or maybe not :)

When we moved to our remote location last year, we had no toilet, water, electricity....nothing but a grass hut. We lived like that for a couple of months before we got a well, water tower, cement septic tank and a toilet. Anyways... until we got all civilised, we just wandered of with a shovel when it was time. Problem solved.

How about the African Long Drop?

Basically just a deep hole in the ground with some sort of seating arrangement on top. The main thing being that the pooh goes straight down the hole not sticking to anything so no flushing required.

The hole is deep enough that there will be no smells. They are all over rural Africa and work very well.

smile.png

I'm not sure where you can find the particulars...but when we did past sea-kayaking expidetions on the west coast of Vancouver Island we had these great...self-composting toilets built by the Parks service. You used the loo and then put one scoop of cedar shavings (indigenous to the Pacific NW) afterwards and then a solar powered fan was used to dispearse the orders. It worked like a charm...I am thinking those are still there and in use as we speak. Probably any organic mixture of some wood shavings and postilly sand or dirt might do the same trick. I remember the bucket of lye that was always out in the sh*thouses in the southern US that was used as effectively. Good luck with it. pg