Please help with Marriage Visa

Hi

I'm gathering the documents needed for a 1 year Visa based on marriage to Thai national.

I will get the bank book plus official letter from the bank in a few days.

I also have pictures, passport, my wife's house registration and the 400.000Baht in my account for the past 3 months.

1) What some people have been telling me, is that my name is supposed to be on the house registration book. Is that correct?

2) Also, is the proof of funds in a Thai bank enough, or do the immigration officers want to know exactly where the money comes from?

3) I will change my Non-B visa to a Marriage Visa. Is that a problem?

If you could shed some light on this issue, I would be very grateful.

thank you very much

It is an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai not a visa.

1. False info because you cannot be in listed in your wife's house book.

2. They will not ask for proof where funds came from.

3. Do you have a B visa or extension of stay.

If you are still working and your income is 40k is greater you could use that instead of money in the bank by showing tax payments and your work permit. You will be changing the reason for your extension of stay not visas.

If have been on an extension for working and are not going to work any more immigration will want a letter from your employer stating the date you stopped working.

• Like 1

What kind of visa do you currentley have? You can only extend a Non-O visa, but you can convert a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a Non_O and then extend it. You name deos not have to be on the house book, or that matter it can't be.

• Like 1

I'm currently working (I have a valid work permit). My current visa is a Non-Immigrant "B".

Things have been a bit chaotic lately and because my current work permit (and thus visa) expires on the 24th of this month, I've been advised to change my visa to a Non-Imm. "O" based on marriage, which is supposed to be faster.

Once I get this, my workplace will apply for the new work permit.

I needed photos of myself and wife around the inside and outside of the house.

I also had to have a form signed by 2 neighbors with photos of them signing it, and photo copies their ID. They can of course come in with you as witnesses. This was at the Korat office.

Edited by bunnydrops
  • Like 1

I'm currently working (I have a valid work permit). My current visa is a Non-Immigrant "B".

Things have been a bit chaotic lately and because my current work permit (and thus visa) expires on the 24th of this month, I've been advised to change my visa to a Non-Imm. "O" based on marriage, which is supposed to be faster.

Once I get this, my workplace will apply for the new work permit.

You cannot change visa types but can change from an extension of stay based upon working to one based upon marriage to a Thai.

I Think you have an extension of stay from immigration not a visa.valid B visa from an embassy or consulate.

Be sure they attach a copy of your marriage certificate to your work permit application.

You can get a 60 day extension of stay to visit you wife instead of the 7 day extension.

• Like 1

I also had to have a form signed by 2 neighbors with photos of them signing it, and photo copies their ID. They can of course come in with you as witnesses. This was at the Korat office.

I also needed a Thai national to attend as a witness .Required to be someone registered locally.

Witnesses are not needed at all immigration offices. In fact there are a very few that do it that way.

Dear members and OP,

Just to not start another thread, please confirm documents for 1 year marriage extension, Immigration in Bangkok. This is my first extension, a little bit nervous:

Me:

Passport with current NON-O Visa, obtained in KL (I also keep receipts from KL Consulate).

Bank book with 400k more than 3 month, fixed deposit can be withdrawn with lost interest. Bank statement will be obtained on the day I apply to extension.

Marriage Certificate (2 documents)

Picture inside home on the sofa

Picture outside home at entrance

Hand-drawn map to home (in Thai language)

Home registration book (Yellow colour, my own with my name)

Wife:

Thai ID

Home registration book

Copies of original documents above.

I will apply on 24th this month, this will be about 42 days before NON-O current extension expiration date

Anything correct, or I missed something?

Thanks!

A Rough Guide.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

• Like 1

I also needed a Thai national to attend as a witness .Required to be someone registered locally.

Witnesses are not needed at all immigration offices. In fact there are a very few that do it that way.

I have never heard of a Thai witness being required to attend an application for extn of stay based on marriage, the only Thai who needs to attend is your wife as she is part of the interview process along with her documents, house book, ID card.

But then different rules for different offices ...

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text
  • Like 1

I needed 4 photos from around the house. They used to want one sitting on bed (gees!) but now prefer one showing you standing in front of open clothes closet with both of your clothes mingling (Gees! again). Best to bring a few and let them pick out the ones they want.

Edited by bunnydrops

A form signed by 2 neighbors is a new one. I haven't heard of that one.

Dear members and OP,

Just to not start another thread, please confirm documents for 1 year marriage extension, Immigration in Bangkok. This is my first extension, a little bit nervous:

Me:

Passport with current NON-O Visa, obtained in KL (I also keep receipts from KL Consulate).

Bank book with 400k more than 3 month, fixed deposit can be withdrawn with lost interest. Bank statement will be obtained on the day I apply to extension.

Marriage Certificate (2 documents)

Picture inside home on the sofa

Picture outside home at entrance

Hand-drawn map to home (in Thai language)

Home registration book (Yellow colour, my own with my name)

Wife:

Thai ID

Home registration book

Copies of original documents above.

I will apply on 24th this month, this will be about 42 days before NON-O current extension expiration date

Anything correct, or I missed something?

Thanks!

For me, they were emphatic about 2 of my photos being in front of the house with the number of the house in view a photo of the wife and myself in the bedroom. I will be extending in April so things may have changed.

Also, if your wife changed her last name to yours they will want that document as well.

I needed 4 photos from around the house. They used to want one sitting on bed (gees!) but now prefer one showing you standing in front of open clothes closet with both of your clothes mingling (Gees! again). Best to bring a few and let them pick out the ones they want.

Maybe they are changing where they want the photos taken so you don't use last year's photos.

Maybe they are changing where they want the photos taken so you don't use last year's photos.

Good thought, I'm prepping my package now and was going to use last year's photos. I'll add a couple new ones and let them choose.

I use same office as bunnydrops and they offered me same deal - 2 neighbors signing forms vs. taking witnesses to immigration.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Could you advice where the best place is to have a hasslefree application?

I heard that Imperial at Lad Prawn is good...

You have no choice You have to do it at the office designated for where you live.

Edit: If living in Bangkok see here: Immigration services at Cheang Wattana now suspended

The immigration officer said I can only renew the application here, but for the first application I have to go to Bangkok.

If you already have a non immigrant visa you do not have to go to Bangkok.

If you don't have a visa and don't live near Bangkok it might well be better to get the visa from one of the nearby embassies or consulates.

Where do you live?

Hi,

1) What some people have been telling me, is that my name is supposed to be on the house registration book. Is that correct?

Yes and no; it is very confusing with mine. My Thai wife explains me her name is shown for current address in the black book and my name is shown for older address in that same black book. She says it should not be a problem because Thai regulation does not like the farang name using the current address. Of course, I am not happy about that clarification but Thai immigration is somewhat happy to approve that. I think you best to check with your wife. Maybe wife's surname is matching your surname then it should be sufficient to your entitlement.

2) Also, is the proof of funds in a Thai bank enough, or do the immigration officers want to know exactly where the money comes from?

A letter from Thai bank (200B charge) will be good enough. No, they do not need to know where it comes from.

3) I will change my Non-B visa to a Marriage Visa. Is that a problem?

Never done that myself.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage the money only has to be in the bank for 2 months.

It's my understanding the first time you extend it must be 3 months.

Ubonjoe is right, it is two months only.

Yes, Ubonjoe is right except 3 months if in Phuket.

Hi,

Yes and no; it is very confusing with mine. My Thai wife explains me her name is shown for current address in the black book and my name is shown for older address in that same black book. She says it should not be a problem because Thai regulation does not like the farang name using the current address. Of course, I am not happy about that clarification but Thai immigration is somewhat happy to approve that. I think you best to check with your wife. Maybe wife's surname is matching your surname then it should be sufficient to your entitlement.

You are confusing a blue house book which you wife would have. You cannot be in that book.

The black book is for home/condo ownership which is not the same.

Being in any house book is not needed.

If you are living in a house that your wife has a blue house book for that is enough for proof of residence..

The black book would be good if your name is in it as proof of residence,

If not living where your wife is registered you would need proof of residence.