webfact

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ex Prime Minister is a wonderful Buddhist and a great man

I wish he builds homes so I can buy from him

You can.

Shin Corp property arm (now known as SC Asset) offers you the opportunity to join the "SC Family".

You might even end up being his son-in-law (on page 3), who is one of the "family bosses"

http://www.scasset.com/Family/sc-family-PDF/SC_Family_Oct_2013_1.pdf

Reply to: northernjohn post no:55

Don't forget he changed the law,so he would not have to pay 40% Tax on the AIS Shin Corp deal,which fleeced Thailand of Billions! and consequently made him a fortune,but brought about his loss of power,anybody see a connection here with the clandestine way of PTP (His Party) trying to Railroad an Amnesty for Thaksin through Parliament at 4 am in the morning? which brought his Government/PTP Party down,and another loss of power, and resulted in the Anti Government Street Demonstrations!

• Like 2

Top bloke, did more for Thailand than anyone ever.

Examples please, or is it satire?

Sorry you seem to be getting short changed with your Bluesky subscription. Try a little googling or try listening to people who know more about the country and it's history than you do.

Social Order policy

Opened the airport at Swampy after 40 years of Elite/Dem corruption

Healthcare for all

Education extended One Tambon One free Uni Place in effect.

Student placements and expansion of University system

OTOP

war on Drugs really lowered the amount on the street and now almost everybody just misquotes the figures. The policy was a success. PS, read the section on that and see who praised him for it!!!!

Lowered Debt, balanced budgets

After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007

Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.[62] Nationwide poverty fell from 21.3% to 11.3%

Thaksin's economic policies helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty. GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006. Thailand repaid its debts to the International Monetary Fund two years ahead of schedule.

Hmm Now where was thaksin in 1997? Who was in power of the country that set off the Whole asian financial crisis and almost broke the back of the country? Lucky he came along or we would still be very much third world status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Economic_Policies

Strange that people who have not lived in Thailand for very long, don't know anything at all about him.. Other than what they hear in a bar or go-go bar where the social order policy affected the trading in women. Bars are the only place in Bangkok that I really hear open critisism of him. I don't hear it at schools as part of my work, not from teachers or parents. Just the bar folk supporting him now

And don't forget, providing all that economic growth in issan provided alternative employment opportunities for young women and men. They no longer had to migrate to bangkok to work as maids, gardeners, and drivers. The big-haired khunyings and thampuyings of bangkok have never forgiven him for this.

Yea! right and don't forget all the new found labour are still working for Buttons,under the new minimum wage!

"sigh" Care to check the details of the drug cartels then, their fall and the numbers of drug addicts for a good few years after whistling.gif , are you trying to say it didnt stem the tide here like no other attempt before or since ? if so your talking out your backside.

You are so full of yourself and <deleted>. Much of the drug business is carried out by the police or under their protection, and they used Thaksin's "open season" to reduce the competition.

Trying to justify extra-judicial murder as beneficial to society is simply a wank. Other countries spend billions on drug related problems, but I'm yet to hear of any other willing to engage in wholesale slaughter to solve the problem. And I'm quite sure there are others similarly lacking in respect for their citizens who might consider the method IF there was any proof that it actually worked.

if drug dealing carried an automatic bullet in the head the it would actually work to reduce the number of dealers in a western country .....

the problem it wouldnt work in thailand is the corrupt army ,police and government officials would be immune from these

kind of hits so they would just get richer ............

Reply to: northernjohn post no:55

Don't forget he changed the law,so he would not have to pay 40% Tax on the AIS Shin Corp deal,which fleeced Thailand of Billions! and consequently made him a fortune,but brought about his loss of power,anybody see a connection here with the clandestine way of PTP (His Party) trying to Railroad an Amnesty for Thaksin through Parliament at 4 am in the morning? which brought his Government/PTP Party down,and another loss of power, and resulted in the Anti Government Street Demonstrations!

Spot on there Majic. His greed for personal wealth and power was his undoing. His loss of power and face plus an inability to enter his homeland is far more punishment than a short term in a cushy Thai jail from which he could have emerged with some sort of humility. But of course Thaksin would never let himself go down the road of saying he was wrong or made a mistake so we see the rice game play out to it's obvious conclusion.

"sigh" Care to check the details of the drug cartels then, their fall and the numbers of drug addicts for a good few years after whistling.gif , are you trying to say it didnt stem the tide here like no other attempt before or since ? if so your talking out your backside.

You are so full of yourself and <deleted>. Much of the drug business is carried out by the police or under their protection, and they used Thaksin's "open season" to reduce the competition.

Trying to justify extra-judicial murder as beneficial to society is simply a wank. Other countries spend billions on drug related problems, but I'm yet to hear of any other willing to engage in wholesale slaughter to solve the problem. And I'm quite sure there are others similarly lacking in respect for their citizens who might consider the method IF there was any proof that it actually worked.

How quaint i love you too...wub.png

Proof please of your accusations... no one has proved Thaksin was anything other than very anti drugs and the police are not known for drug involvement to any large extent here. Of many things yes but not really drugs I hear more about the army etc and trafficking than the police by far.

If you let the drug cartels gain a real foothold just look to Mexico and to what happens.Last year was the bloodiest yet in Mexico's war against organised crime as drug-related deaths jumped to a record high. More than 15,000 people lost their lives in Mexico conflicting with the traffickers in 2010.

Columbian government took a hard line to finish their cartels.

Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria was the most notorious and violent drug lord of the Medellín Cartel. Escobar was killed by the Search Bloc, a group of Colombian police devoted to capturing Escobar, on a Colombian rooftop in 1993; by this time, the cartel had already been severely damaged. However, there would be no rest. After Escobar’s death, the Medellín Cartel fragmented and the cocaine market soon became dominated by the rival Cali Cartel, until the mid-1990s when its leaders, too, were either killed or captured by the government. Thousands were killed on all sides during this bloody period.

Thailand

The government in 2002 estimated that three million Thais, or five percent of the population, were methamphetamine users. Prime Minister Thaksin's war against drugs produced some impressive results but at the cost of huge criticism of the hard line taken . Between February and August 2003, over 51,000 arrests aside from the deaths in the war on drugs, Thaksin also began a second war, this one a was aimed at eliminating the high level drug traffickers and the government personnel protecting or backing them. This war has had very few published successes as the financial and political backing of these influential people is deeply intertwined with both government both elected and civil servant and even the armed forces. So it didnt get far.

Results were Thailand opiate growth in (ha) 2002 989, 2003 767, by 2004 it was down to 122 ...by 2009 it had risen only to 210 it has never recovered in Thailand thankfully.

The serious problem is still yabba and that is not produced much in Thailand. Myanmar or Burma, particularly Wa state, is the main producer for the region.Eighty per cent of illegal drugs enter in from three provinces–Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son– located near the drug production bases across the borders. Some of this area being known as the infamous “Golden Triangle” which was and still is in many ways a major centre for opium production but Thailand has largely eradicated it from inside its won borders the problems are now the traffickers and an estimate is x10 tha amount of Yabba is flooding across the border now as it was a decade ago since Thaksins war on drugs

Sorry i don't have any issue with a hard line on drugs although I hate violence and i didnt say it was beneficial to society but it was way out of control at that time here and something had to be done, it at least sent a message to the cartels to stay out of Thailand and its never gotten to the levels since but it has been steadily growing again because of trafficking and not production as it once was.

• Like 1

I tried to look at that photo with an open mind, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there were 2500~ angry ghosts hovering over his head. I wish him good luck with his praying, and with his final destination. I feel he will need all the luck he can get.

• Like 1

Top bloke, did more for Thailand than anyone ever.

Examples please, or is it satire?

Sorry you seem to be getting short changed with your Bluesky subscription. Try a little googling or try listening to people who know more about the country and it's history than you do.

Social Order policy

Opened the airport at Swampy after 40 years of Elite/Dem corruption

Healthcare for all

Education extended One Tambon One free Uni Place in effect.

Student placements and expansion of University system

OTOP

war on Drugs really lowered the amount on the street and now almost everybody just misquotes the figures. The policy was a success. PS, read the section on that and see who praised him for it!!!!

Lowered Debt, balanced budgets

After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007

Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.[62] Nationwide poverty fell from 21.3% to 11.3%

Thaksin's economic policies helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty. GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006. Thailand repaid its debts to the International Monetary Fund two years ahead of schedule.

Hmm Now where was thaksin in 1997? Who was in power of the country that set off the Whole asian financial crisis and almost broke the back of the country? Lucky he came along or we would still be very much third world status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Economic_Policies

Strange that people who have not lived in Thailand for very long, don't know anything at all about him.. Other than what they hear in a bar or go-go bar where the social order policy affected the trading in women. Bars are the only place in Bangkok that I really hear open critisism of him. I don't hear it at schools as part of my work, not from teachers or parents. Just the bar folk supporting him now

And don't forget, providing all that economic growth in issan provided alternative employment opportunities for young women and men. They no longer had to migrate to bangkok to work as maids, gardeners, and drivers. The big-haired khunyings and thampuyings of bangkok have never forgiven him for this.

... and Issan girls no longer populate Soi 7

While I disagree with the death penelty for drug trafficing there are currently 33 countries wolrdwide with this policy and 13 of them carry a manditory death penelty if caught, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore just to name a few.

Somchai says he met Thaksin in Myanmar
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Ex-premier Somchai Wongsawat on Monday confirmed he had met his brother-in-law Thaksin Shinawatra in Myanmar last week.

Somchai said he and Thaksin, who spent one day trip there, made a merit together.

He said had briefed Thaksin about political turmoil in Thailand and Thaksin gave him moral support.

Legal advisor of Thaksin Noppadon Pattama denied Thaksin went to Myanmar for business trip.

Noppadon said Thaksin insisted that the way of democracy is the way of future so the election has to proceed until it complete.

"Thaksin said all problems must be resolved at negotiation table. However, he did not want to give interview but preferred to stay low-profile," Noppadon said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-11

• Like 1

While I disagree with the death penelty for drug trafficing there are currently 33 countries wolrdwide with this policy and 13 of them carry a manditory death penelty if caught, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore just to name a few.

Name just one where extra-judicial street executions are encouraged by the government.

• Like 1

Name just one where extra-judicial street executions are encouraged by the government.

If you are referring to Thailand carring out executions not sure if I buy that one, sounds more like propaganda to me. There is so much BS coming from both sides and many get on the bandwagon if you tell a lie often enough sooner or later people will start to believe you. I do remember when Abiset took office he was asked if he agreed with the policy and if he was going to keep it in place because there was suspision that there may have been 3 or 4 that where wrongly accussed his reply was: the policy has had a major impact on the drug trafficing trade here and therefore he would not reverse it, there will always be some collateral damage with such policies.

• Like 1

For sure he's there to ask the nice generals to start paying back that multi-billion baht soft loan of taxpayers money he gave them to buy a few urgently needed life saving ipstar internet surfing modules. His daughter's government is in need of some cash. What a bloke.

The generals also owe him for the Thai rice pledging scheme as they have been buying cheap Burmese rice, smuggling it across the river and selling it for the premium price. Thai tax dollars going to Bumese generals.

Were you forgot the word were not are 2003 was over a decade ago here... oh and one example only ? ok Israel.

Between the eruption of the second Palestinian Intifada on 28 September, 2000 and June 2006, the IOF attempted 252 extra-judicial killing operations. According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), the IOF killed 603 Palestinians during these crimes. Statistically, the victims of this policy constitute 20% of the entire Intifada's Palestinian fatalities. They are classified as follows:

· Extra-judicial killings produced 603 victims total.

· 319 of the victims were intentionally targeted by the IOF.

· 212 were civilians and passersby unintentionally killed in the process. They constitute 35% of all victims.

· 68 children were among the victims. Presumably, they were also unintentionally killed during the execution of these crimes, whether they were playing in the streets, passing by, or with their families in targeted houses or vehicles.

Or if you prefer the US in its drone strike campaign currently globally taking advantage of America's temporary advantage in drone technology to wage a series of shadow wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia. Without the scrutiny of the legislature and the courts, and outside the public eye, ie extra-judicial executions.coffee1.gif

Part of the world wide war on drugs? Why didn't you throw in WWII? Are either of these situations even remotely connected to the Thailand anti-drugs campaign?

If you are referring to Thailand carring out executions not sure if I buy that one, sounds more like propaganda to me. There is so much BS coming from both sides and many get on the bandwagon if you tell a lie often enough sooner or later people will start to believe you. I do remember when Abiset took office he was asked if he agreed with the policy and if he was going to keep it in place because there was suspision that there may have been 3 or 4 that where wrongly accussed his reply was: the policy has had a major impact on the drug trafficing trade here and therefore he would not reverse it, there will always be some collateral damage with such policies.

Are you saying that you don't believe Thaksin's war on drugs happened? And then suggest that the policy was still in effect 4 PMs later?

How many of those 33 countries implement the death penalty without a trial for the accused?

Zero.

Thaksin's drug war "policy" is without equal anywhere in the world.