Thaksin makes merit in Myanmar

webfact

Just goes to show some people just knock back the beer and listen to idle hit chat to all of you who really truly want to know about Thailand and one of its most famous men the. Read read and read again the post about thaksin all is spot on Thailand should welcome this man back Nd kiss his feet when he gets off the plane no one has done more for this country than he did apart from the king

Get your facts straight before you act like all the yellow shirt sheep who ain't got a clue what they are doing - don't believe me ask where all the money they are giving is going they need look on their doorstep for corruption surep could not spell honesty look listen learn do not simply accuse thaksin a man who did so much for Thailand the way he has been treated I wonder if he would want to come back then again the man would because he loved and still loves thailand

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin hasn't been this close to Thailand than when - well, since he was there last, or the time before, or in Cambodia - inside or outside of cabinet. The journey over the bridge is quite brief, but he'll never, ever make it. Because although he has a fondness for making merit, he's seriously scared of jail. That's about the extent of his conviction. So there you have it - comfortably nestled in countries which have almost no human rights. He's right at home.

If you think thaksin hasn't been back to Thailand since the start of his self imposed exile then you don't really know much about Thailand

Care to elaborate?

He has been back, it was just not publicized. It is rather easy for a private plane from Hong Kong to fly into Chiang Mai. All it needs is an approved flight plan. VIPs are often whisked unseen from the airport. It's the worst kept secret in Thailand. If smugglers can engage unimpeded in their business, what would be so implausible about 1 person slipping in for a visit?

Indeed it is the worst kept secret in the Thai political class. Ask any journo and they'll tell you.

Reply to: northernjohn post no:55

Don't forget he changed the law,so he would not have to pay 40% Tax on the AIS Shin Corp deal,which fleeced Thailand of Billions! and consequently made him a fortune,but brought about his loss of power,anybody see a connection here with the clandestine way of PTP (His Party) trying to Railroad an Amnesty for Thaksin through Parliament at 4 am in the morning? which brought his Government/PTP Party down,and another loss of power, and resulted in the Anti Government Street Demonstrations!

The day before the sale of ShinCorp. his 'rubber stamp' Parliament passed a law changing the percentage of a national telecom that could be sold to a foreign entity from 25% (a World-wide norm) to 49%. Of course Temasek (the Sovereign Wealth Fund for Singapore) bought quite a bit more than 49% through nominees. Funny how the sale went through the next day; kind of like it was all preplanned.
Just one correction there fella, it was the Parliament elected by the people of Thailand in a democratic election. If said Parliament passed laws with which the electorate disagreed, the people could vote the majority party out of office.

What many here in T-V and in certain Bangkok circles just can't understand (or acknowledge) is that it is up to the people to make these decisions and not unelected elites.

What are you correcting? I never wrote that the Parliament was not legitimate or elected. I wrote that it was a 'rubber stamp' Parliament like the Puea Thai 'rubber stamp' Parliament that voted unanimously to absolve themselves and Thaksin of all corruption since Tak Bai with the 'blanket' amnesty bill that the Senate, through public pressure, rejected. There is not one incorrect assertion in my post; you create a false premise and argue it instead of what I actually wrote. But nice try, thanks for playing. (see 'straw man' argument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man_argument)

Both you and Majic state that "he" and/or some "rubber stamp" parliament changed the law, in this case to benefit one of its members. I am pointing out that "he" nor a "rubber stamp" parliament didn't change anything. A duly elected democratic parliament changed the law. You can agree or disagree with the change and in a democratic system, express your opinion at the next election. Why is this basic understanding of representative government so hard for some to understand...or is it you don't want to understand it? If so, just say so.

Thaksin is a hypocrite. He makes merit and prays for goodness, yet he blatantly behaves unethically.

That is nonsense. Either you are a good person and you make merit or you are a bum.

To make merit and behave like a horse's ass in real life is utter nonsense.

No one will respect you except people who you give money to so that they will vote for you.

Agreed but I think it would be very hard to find any politician who isn't a Hypocrite and you could make that statement for just about any of them!

Top bloke, did more for Thailand than anyone ever.

Examples please, or is it satire?

Sorry you seem to be getting short changed with your Bluesky subscription. Try a little googling or try listening to people who know more about the country and it's history than you do.

Social Order policy

Opened the airport at Swampy after 40 years of Elite/Dem corruption

Healthcare for all

Education extended One Tambon One free Uni Place in effect.

Student placements and expansion of University system

OTOP

war on Drugs really lowered the amount on the street and now almost everybody just misquotes the figures. The policy was a success. PS, read the section on that and see who praised him for it!!!!

Lowered Debt, balanced budgets

After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007

Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.[62] Nationwide poverty fell from 21.3% to 11.3%

Thaksin's economic policies helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty. GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006. Thailand repaid its debts to the International Monetary Fund two years ahead of schedule.

Hmm Now where was thaksin in 1997? Who was in power of the country that set off the Whole asian financial crisis and almost broke the back of the country? Lucky he came along or we would still be very much third world status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra#Economic_Policies

Strange that people who have not lived in Thailand for very long, don't know anything at all about him.. Other than what they hear in a bar or go-go bar where the social order policy affected the trading in women. Bars are the only place in Bangkok that I really hear open critisism of him. I don't hear it at schools as part of my work, not from teachers or parents. Just the bar folk supporting him now

One of the teachers at my daughters school is educating the students about all of the wrongs that thaksin and PT have done. She comes home on a regular basis and tells me what the teacher says in class.

As for the bars being the only place you hear criticism of him I would suggest you spend less than 18 hours a day in the bar. I live in chiang Mai and I hear criticism about him from a lot of people. The teacher and principal at my kids school,the hardware store, the market etc. Of course I hear a lot more people that praise him but like I have posted before, the more educated they are the more likely they are to dislike thaksin.

I work with an MNC with lots of Thai engineers/technical people, and although I never talk politics directly with them, none of my business, but get the impression over 90% of them hate his guts, the PTP and his dear sister...based on the remarks they make

• Like 1

Just goes to show some people just knock back the beer and listen to idle hit chat to all of you who really truly want to know about Thailand and one of its most famous men the. Read read and read again the post about thaksin all is spot on Thailand should welcome this man back Nd kiss his feet when he gets off the plane no one has done more for this country than he did apart from the king

Get your facts straight before you act like all the yellow shirt sheep who ain't got a clue what they are doing - don't believe me ask where all the money they are giving is going they need look on their doorstep for corruption surep could not spell honesty look listen learn do not simply accuse thaksin a man who did so much for Thailand the way he has been treated I wonder if he would want to come back then again the man would because he loved and still loves thailand

Dr. Thaksin walks on water for you, doesn't he. Thailand's Savior.

"sigh" Care to check the details of the drug cartels then, their fall and the numbers of drug addicts for a good few years after xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.RBppOEA-hT.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18> , are you trying to say it didnt stem the tide here like no other attempt before or since ? if so your talking out your backside.

You are so full of yourself and <deleted>. Much of the drug business is carried out by the police or under their protection, and they used Thaksin's "open season" to reduce the competition.

Trying to justify extra-judicial murder as beneficial to society is simply a wank. Other countries spend billions on drug related problems, but I'm yet to hear of any other willing to engage in wholesale slaughter to solve the problem. And I'm quite sure there are others similarly lacking in respect for their citizens who might consider the method IF there was any proof that it actually worked.

While I disagree with the death penelty for drug trafficing there are currently 33 countries wolrdwide with this policy and 13 of them carry a manditory death penelty if caught, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore just to name a few.

Name one country, in the last 100 years, that has killed so many of its citizens as drug suspects, is such a short space of time, without a trial. I know, you can't. Post Morten investigations have proven that more than 1,500 of the murdered had no connection to drugs. In all the countries you list, each and every one of them conducts trials of the accused before passing sentence. Your defense of Thaksin's police is fallacious and immoral.

While I agree wholeheartedly that Thaksin's war on drugs was a travesty devoid of justice, to be fair, and the crime of drugs aside, the US has made hundreds of extra-judicial executions, many of them with the euphamistic "collateral damage" of death to innocents.

Is there anybody out there that can rebut the Pipkins input?

no need to, its all innuendo and twisted crap, he leaves out all the killings/murders he did, all the corruption he was responsible for and that the judge only let him off because he was pm, the man is a criminal and anyone trying to say otherwise does this jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif far too much and is full of ****

Pipkins could.

He is either a troll or one of the most gullible expats in Thailand if he is even in Thailand.

• Like 1

Top bloke, did more for Thailand than anyone ever.

Examples please, or is it satire?

Sorry you seem to be getting short changed with your Bluesky subscription. Try a little googling or try listening to people who know more about the country and it's history than you do.

Social Order policy

Healthcare for all

OTOP

war on Drugs really lowered the amount on the street and now almost everybody just misquotes the figures. The policy was a success. PS, read the section on that and see who praised him for it!!!!

After facing fiscal deficits in 2001 and 2002, Thaksin balanced the national budget, producing comfortable fiscal surpluses for 2003 to 2005. Despite a massive program of infrastructure investments, a balanced budget was projected for 2007

Income in the Northeast, the poorest part of the country, rose by 46% from 2001 to 2006.[62] Nationwide poverty fell from 21.3% to 11.3%

Thaksin's economic policies helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty. GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006. Thailand repaid its debts to the International Monetary Fund two years ahead of schedule.

Hmm Now where was thaksin in 1997? Who was in power of the country that set off the Whole asian financial crisis and almost broke the back of the country? Lucky he came along or we would still be very much third world status.

Strange that people who have not lived in Thailand for very long, don't know anything at all about him.. Other than what they hear in a bar or go-go bar where the social order policy affected the trading in women. Bars are the only place in Bangkok that I really hear open critisism of him. I don't hear it at schools as part of my work, not from teachers or parents. Just the bar folk supporting him now

One of the teachers at my daughters school is educating the students about all of the wrongs that thaksin and PT have done. She comes home on a regular basis and tells me what the teacher says in class.

As for the bars being the only place you hear criticism of him I would suggest you spend less than 18 hours a day in the bar. I live in chiang Mai and I hear criticism about him from a lot of people. The teacher and principal at my kids school,the hardware store, the market etc. Of course I hear a lot more people that praise him but like I have posted before, the more educated they are the more likely they are to dislike thaksin.

I work with an MNC with lots of Thai engineers/technical people, and although I never talk politics directly with them, none of my business, but get the impression over 90% of them hate his guts, the PTP and his dear sister...based on the remarks they make

So I guess the PTP can write them off as supporters then. When these educated engineers can have a civic and civil conversation with the majority of their fellow citizens who thing otherwise and convince them to their views of politics, instead of looking down on them or trying to disenfranchise them, then Thailand will be a better place. Until then, who gives a $#@* what these engineers think.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Social Order policy

Healthcare for all

OTOP

Knowledge of what he is all about is finally starting to come out to even the dimmest wits. There is now a whole section of red shirts who want him out of government. As some people post you can see there is some who still have a light on but nobody home.

Thailand can be thankful that they don't really have any input into the reality of the situation to the Thais. They can just hide behind their computer and extoll their garbage onto other expats.

Generally they get their information from the guy on the bar stool next to them at a red shirt bar. That or they just enjoy trolling. Yes there are that type of expats here. People where they came from didn't want them around any more they had lost the attraction of being ridiculously controversial on every thing just for the reaction they could get. So here we have them.

If they thought they could get away with it they would have the clones up for saint hood.

I know I just sank to their level of ridicules.coffee1.gif

Earlier photos of Bangkok police chief Pol Lt Gen Camronwit Toopgrajank and Social Development Minister Pavena Hongsakul at an airport went viral in social networks. They were reportedly leaving for Myanmar.

That's a shame, I used to like Pavena because she has done good things to help people, a rare exception among the Taksin fans....

Merit making, not enough days left in his natural life to make up for what he has done to Thailand and its people.

Hear, Hear! And the sooner the people realise the better

He could easily atone for past sins by giving back all the money he stole from Thailand and apologising for past errors and personally motivated acts of greed,..and then he could after that make merit.

In fact, if he gave back all the cash, said sorry and then shaved his head and went into the monastery for a month that should do it! wai2.gif

You are so full of yourself and <deleted>. Much of the drug business is carried out by the police or under their protection, and they used Thaksin's "open season" to reduce the competition.

Trying to justify extra-judicial murder as beneficial to society is simply a wank. Other countries spend billions on drug related problems, but I'm yet to hear of any other willing to engage in wholesale slaughter to solve the problem. And I'm quite sure there are others similarly lacking in respect for their citizens who might consider the method IF there was any proof that it actually worked.

While I disagree with the death penelty for drug trafficing there are currently 33 countries wolrdwide with this policy and 13 of them carry a manditory death penelty if caught, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore just to name a few.

Name one country, in the last 100 years, that has killed so many of its citizens as drug suspects, is such a short space of time, without a trial. I know, you can't. Post Morten investigations have proven that more than 1,500 of the murdered had no connection to drugs. In all the countries you list, each and every one of them conducts trials of the accused before passing sentence. Your defense of Thaksin's police is fallacious and immoral.

While I agree wholeheartedly that Thaksin's war on drugs was a travesty devoid of justice, to be fair, and the crime of drugs aside, the US has made hundreds of extra-judicial executions, many of them with the euphamistic "collateral damage" of death to innocents.

to be fair to whom? Thaksin? When did US law enforcement extra-judicially kill anywhere near 2,500 of its citizens (and proportional to population the number would have to be more than 12,000) within a several month time span?

Every death caused by law enforcement in the US is investigated. It may be covered up and excused wrongly but each one is publicized and investigated. The police sometimes even go to prison for wrongful death; does that ever happen in Thailand? There were no contemporaneous investigations in Thailand. I was there and the English language newspapers only reported the more sensational cases (probably not enough profit for the amount of newsprint it would take to cover all the deaths even if there were enough brave reporters to question the police and witnesses). Please don't try to equate anything in Thailand with anything the US has done as it sounds like you are excusing it because others do it; a common argument of the pro Thaksin members of this forum.

• Like 1

"Thaksin makes merit"

Brother-in-law Somchai amongst other Pheu Thai MPs visiting. Thaksin the golf caddy with friendly advise to all who seek it and those he just orders around. How utterly democraticbah.gif

• Like 1

Thaksin hasn't been this close to Thailand than when - well, since he was there last, or the time before, or in Cambodia - inside or outside of cabinet. The journey over the bridge is quite brief, but he'll never, ever make it. Because although he has a fondness for making merit, he's seriously scared of jail. That's about the extent of his conviction. So there you have it - comfortably nestled in countries which have almost no human rights. He's right at home.

You all right let him come and make the time,but put all of the family in exile

the man owes 2 (at least 2) houses in myanmar. he went for a well-deserved holiday i reckon.

He hawe all Lampang Lampung in his pocket, Him so afraid for Thailand prison,He make the rueles before when track down on druglords in Thailand and kill a lot of inocent people.Him now what wait for himself if come here

What he gave those supporters in the North and Northeast was taxpayers money but he had them believing it came from his own pockets. I have heard the stories with my own ears how Thaksin spent his own money to make their live better. (First wife from Yasothon)

In Chiang Rai a family friend was hired a number of years back by the local government. He was told his pay was 15,000 baht for his wages, and 3,000 baht from Thaksin. Gullible as he is, he believed it.

"sigh" Care to check the details of the drug cartels then, their fall and the numbers of drug addicts for a good few years after whistling.gif , are you trying to say it didnt stem the tide here like no other attempt before or since ? if so your talking out your backside.

How quaint i love you too...wub.png

Proof please of your accusations... no one has proved Thaksin was anything other than very anti drugs and the police are not known for drug involvement to any large extent here. Of many things yes but not really drugs I hear more about the army etc and trafficking than the police by far.

If you let the drug cartels gain a real foothold just look to Mexico and to what happens.Last year was the bloodiest yet in Mexico's war against organised crime as drug-related deaths jumped to a record high. More than 15,000 people lost their lives in Mexico conflicting with the traffickers in 2010.

Columbian government took a hard line to finish their cartels.

Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria was the most notorious and violent drug lord of the Medellín Cartel. Escobar was killed by the Search Bloc, a group of Colombian police devoted to capturing Escobar, on a Colombian rooftop in 1993; by this time, the cartel had already been severely damaged. However, there would be no rest. After Escobar’s death, the Medellín Cartel fragmented and the cocaine market soon became dominated by the rival Cali Cartel, until the mid-1990s when its leaders, too, were either killed or captured by the government. Thousands were killed on all sides during this bloody period.

Thailand

The government in 2002 estimated that three million Thais, or five percent of the population, were methamphetamine users. Prime Minister Thaksin's war against drugs produced some impressive results but at the cost of huge criticism of the hard line taken . Between February and August 2003, over 51,000 arrests aside from the deaths in the war on drugs, Thaksin also began a second war, this one a was aimed at eliminating the high level drug traffickers and the government personnel protecting or backing them. This war has had very few published successes as the financial and political backing of these influential people is deeply intertwined with both government both elected and civil servant and even the armed forces. So it didnt get far.

Results were Thailand opiate growth in (ha) 2002 989, 2003 767, by 2004 it was down to 122 ...by 2009 it had risen only to 210 it has never recovered in Thailand thankfully.

The serious problem is still yabba and that is not produced much in Thailand. Myanmar or Burma, particularly Wa state, is the main producer for the region.Eighty per cent of illegal drugs enter in from three provinces–Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son– located near the drug production bases across the borders. Some of this area being known as the infamous “Golden Triangle” which was and still is in many ways a major centre for opium production but Thailand has largely eradicated it from inside its won borders the problems are now the traffickers and an estimate is x10 tha amount of Yabba is flooding across the border now as it was a decade ago since Thaksins war on drugs

Sorry i don't have any issue with a hard line on drugs although I hate violence and i didnt say it was beneficial to society but it was way out of control at that time here and something had to be done, it at least sent a message to the cartels to stay out of Thailand and its never gotten to the levels since but it has been steadily growing again because of trafficking and not production as it once was.

So to precis - you hate violence but extra judicial murders of innocents are o.k. if you can find some nice statistics that indicate they died to improve the fight against drugs.

Guess you have no problem with the loss of 90 lives, innocent or otherwise, to help ensure a return of a democratically elected government, and that said government acts illegally. All part of the big picture no doubt.

Nice how some are so willing to accept collateral damage - as long as it doesn't affect them and supports the regime they support.

• Like 1

If you think thaksin hasn't been back to Thailand since the start of his self imposed exile then you don't really know much about Thailand

Care to elaborate?

He has been back, it was just not publicized. It is rather easy for a private plane from Hong Kong to fly into Chiang Mai. All it needs is an approved flight plan. VIPs are often whisked unseen from the airport. It's the worst kept secret in Thailand. If smugglers can engage unimpeded in their business, what would be so implausible about 1 person slipping in for a visit?

Ok, so no actual direct evidence.

Thank you for the wholly unsubstantiated input.

:rolleyes:

At last pipkins a man of integrity and recognition that the majority of commentators on Thai Visa either don't know what they are talking about or they are corrupt.

You don't have to post that here there is a jokes section.

Even a topic for the worst joke ever.

• Like 1

"If you think thaksin hasn't been back to Thailand since the start of his self imposed exile then you don't really know much about Thailand"

Any evidence of that statement?