Thaksin makes merit in Myanmar

webfact

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I disagree with the death penelty for drug trafficing there are currently 33 countries wolrdwide with this policy and 13 of them carry a manditory death penelty if caught, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore just to name a few.

Name just one where extra-judicial street executions are encouraged by the government.

Were you forgot the word were not are 2003 was over a decade ago here... oh and one example only ? ok Israel.

Between the eruption of the second Palestinian Intifada on 28 September, 2000 and June 2006, the IOF attempted 252 extra-judicial killing operations. According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), the IOF killed 603 Palestinians during these crimes. Statistically, the victims of this policy constitute 20% of the entire Intifada's Palestinian fatalities. They are classified as follows:

· Extra-judicial killings produced 603 victims total.

· 319 of the victims were intentionally targeted by the IOF.

· 212 were civilians and passersby unintentionally killed in the process. They constitute 35% of all victims.

· 68 children were among the victims. Presumably, they were also unintentionally killed during the execution of these crimes, whether they were playing in the streets, passing by, or with their families in targeted houses or vehicles.

Or if you prefer the US in its drone strike campaign currently globally taking advantage of America's temporary advantage in drone technology to wage a series of shadow wars in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia. Without the scrutiny of the legislature and the courts, and outside the public eye, ie extra-judicial executions.coffee1.gif

Part of the world wide war on drugs? Why didn't you throw in WWII? Are either of these situations even remotely connected to the Thailand anti-drugs campaign?

You wanted one example and I gave you two, the war on drugs and terrorism is closely linked re funding and criminal financing so I have no idea what your still trying to prove... it goes on, deal with it.

Edited by englishoak

Thaksin hasn't been this close to Thailand than when - well, since he was there last, or the time before, or in Cambodia - inside or outside of cabinet. The journey over the bridge is quite brief, but he'll never, ever make it. Because although he has a fondness for making merit, he's seriously scared of jail. That's about the extent of his conviction. So there you have it - comfortably nestled in countries which have almost no human rights. He's right at home.

If you think thaksin hasn't been back to Thailand since the start of his self imposed exile then you don't really know much about Thailand

So educate us please.

When and where did Thaksin return?

So the police are associating with a wanted criminal, just goes to show how bad the thai police really are, they all have brown rings on their ankles like the ptp politicians and our own group of thaksin lovers, they will be all besides themselves over this, pathetic. The day this man dies will be worthy of a huge celebration, even more so if he can take all of his family with him.

Such an educated and thoughtful statement ... How far would you like the gene pool eradication to go ? children maybe extend it to brothers sisters, cousins ? nephews ? nieces their etc as well ?

Im not even sure Suthep wishes that being its just 2 year jail term hes avoiding, but congratulations in taking the time to highlight such a well thought out sentiment and solution ..... pathetic for sure ill agree with that bah.gif

Thaksin is NOT just avoiding a two year jail term. As I think you already know there are several pending cases with his name on them!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Such as charges or something worthy of the death penalty as wished for by the above ? please list them do.

I was simple correcting your mistake. I didn't say he should get the death penalty .. please stop twisting words do..

Appreciate the comment Shannon. It highlights that demagoguery is a major key to the regime's success.

Projection. Demagoguery relies on condemning the outgroup for what the ingroup is doing. This step is absolutely necessary for scapegoating (that is, for holding some group responsible for the ingroup’s problems)

The PTP's flag ship policy was the rice scheme. It has lost billions, the PM is being investigated for corruption, 15 ministers have been charged and the true litmus test of this failure is the people that it was supposed to help are now protesting a non payment by the PTP.

What do demagogues do? They blame the "out group"

Bad behavior on the part of in-groups (PTP) is explained externally (The non payment is justified as they were forced into it by the PDRC) and is dismissed as meaningless; bad behavior on the part of out group members (shutting down government ministries), however, signifies their true identity.

Good behavior on the part of in-group members (PTP pleading for time to allow payments to be made) signifies their true identity, and good behavior on the part of out group members (DEMS or PDRC offering money to farmers to help there cause in pursuing payment) is explained by external characteristics or bad motives. i.e "There not helping the farmers, they are doing this to make the PTP look bad"

Thaksin does need to be praised. Praised for being one of the most successful demagogues in history.

I notice you called them a "silly bunch". This exemplifies what a demagogue does. Demonize and belittle an opposition for offering facts and balance and asking for answers which is a democratic right. A bit like a deputy PM that called voters garbage for asking for an explanation regarding the water management scheme.

Like I said previously, before you know it your defending a regime that is dictatorial and is hiding under the guise of a democracy.

"Silly bunch", "garbage"…..All words used by dictators to describe opposition. Those words are the start of a journey to a dictatorial end. The end is when there is no opposition left.

Be careful what you wish for Shannon.

I quoted your post because it bears repeating.

• Like 1

I was simple correcting your mistake. I didn't say he should get the death penalty .. please stop twisting words do..

Apologies m8 as you jumped in i assumed you were advocating the death penalty as per seajay here was wai2.gif

• Like 1

If you are referring to Thailand carring out executions not sure if I buy that one, sounds more like propaganda to me. There is so much BS coming from both sides and many get on the bandwagon if you tell a lie often enough sooner or later people will start to believe you. I do remember when Abiset took office he was asked if he agreed with the policy and if he was going to keep it in place because there was suspision that there may have been 3 or 4 that where wrongly accussed his reply was: the policy has had a major impact on the drug trafficing trade here and therefore he would not reverse it, there will always be some collateral damage with such policies.

We had one about 10kms from us in La-Un, just last year. The police brought the victim up from Phang Nga, stopped on a mountainous stretch of road, butchered him (There was blood everywhere), tossed him into a ravine and called the local police to retrieve the body. The source of that tale was a policeman friend. He's sergeant. The victim wasn't giving the police their share of the drugs sales.

Would not it be sweet if Yingluck and brother were treated to the same ending as Ceaușescu and his wife, Elena.

Quick and to the point.

What would be your position if someone posted;

Would it not be sweet if foreigners who are supporting Suthep were treated to the same ending as those foreigners in Burundi?

Quick and to the point.

You're a class act.

• Like 1

Thaksin hasn't been this close to Thailand than when - well, since he was there last, or the time before, or in Cambodia - inside or outside of cabinet. The journey over the bridge is quite brief, but he'll never, ever make it. Because although he has a fondness for making merit, he's seriously scared of jail. That's about the extent of his conviction. So there you have it - comfortably nestled in countries which have almost no human rights. He's right at home.

If you think thaksin hasn't been back to Thailand since the start of his self imposed exile then you don't really know much about Thailand

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

Maybe he has seen Thaksin in his dreams?

Reply to: northernjohn post no:55

Don't forget he changed the law,so he would not have to pay 40% Tax on the AIS Shin Corp deal,which fleeced Thailand of Billions! and consequently made him a fortune,but brought about his loss of power,anybody see a connection here with the clandestine way of PTP (His Party) trying to Railroad an Amnesty for Thaksin through Parliament at 4 am in the morning? which brought his Government/PTP Party down,and another loss of power, and resulted in the Anti Government Street Demonstrations!

The day before the sale of ShinCorp. his 'rubber stamp' Parliament passed a law changing the percentage of a national telecom that could be sold to a foreign entity from 25% (a World-wide norm) to 49%. Of course Temasek (the Sovereign Wealth Fund for Singapore) bought quite a bit more than 49% through nominees. Funny how the sale went through the next day; kind of like it was all preplanned.

Just one correction there fella, it was the Parliament elected by the people of Thailand in a democratic election. If said Parliament passed laws with which the electorate disagreed, the people could vote the majority party out of office.

What many here in T-V and in certain Bangkok circles just can't understand (or acknowledge) is that it is up to the people to make these decisions and not unelected elites.

Don't forget he changed the law,so he would not have to pay 40% Tax on the AIS Shin Corp deal,which fleeced Thailand of Billions! and consequently made him a fortune,but brought about his loss of power,anybody see a connection here with the clandestine way of PTP (His Party) trying to Railroad an Amnesty for Thaksin through Parliament at 4 am in the morning? which brought his Government/PTP Party down,and another loss of power, and resulted in the Anti Government Street Demonstrations!

The day before the sale of ShinCorp. his 'rubber stamp' Parliament passed a law changing the percentage of a national telecom that could be sold to a foreign entity from 25% (a World-wide norm) to 49%. Of course Temasek (the Sovereign Wealth Fund for Singapore) bought quite a bit more than 49% through nominees. Funny how the sale went through the next day; kind of like it was all preplanned.

Just one correction there fella, it was the Parliament elected by the people of Thailand in a democratic election. If said Parliament passed laws with which the electorate disagreed, the people could vote the majority party out of office.

What many here in T-V and in certain Bangkok circles just can't understand (or acknowledge) is that it is up to the people to make these decisions and not unelected elites.

There were loud voices that objected to the facts.

But tell us how would the electorate, read the farmers upcountry, organize to get him voted out in the middle of a term. They even can manage a decent protest to receive their hard earned money.

Isn't Myanmar allowing Thaksin (a self-exiled convicted criminal with an outstanding jail sentence) to visit sticking their finger up at Thailand saying we don't give a **** about your legal system, your laws, your courts etc.

**** you Myanmar for allowing this piece of **** onto your land.

Thaksin's economic policies helped Thailand recover from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and substantially reduce poverty. GDP grew from 4.9 trillion baht in 2001 to 7.1 trillion baht in 2006. Thailand repaid its debts to the International Monetary Fund two years ahead of schedule.

Strange that people who have not lived in Thailand for very long, don't know anything at all about him.. Other than what they hear in a bar or go-go bar where the social order policy affected the trading in women. Bars are the only place in Bangkok that I really hear open critisism of him. I don't hear it at schools as part of my work, not from teachers or parents. Just the bar folk supporting him now

Yeah sure, because people who stayed in Thailand at that time would know that he repaid the IMF with a loan from Temasek.

Seriously? Are you sure? The red propaganda machine says he paid it off with his own money.

The whole reason he borrowed the money to pay off the IMF is he did not want to be subject to the requirements attached to the IMF loan.

• Like 1

What are you correcting? I never wrote that Thaksin's puppet Parliament was not legitimate or elected. I wrote that it was a 'rubber stamp' Parliament like the Puea Thai 'rubber stamp' Parliament that voted unanimously to absolve themselves and Thaksin of all corruption since Tak Bai with the 'blanket' amnesty bill that the Senate, through public pressure, rejected. There is not one incorrect assertion in my post; you created a false premise and argued it instead of what I actually wrote. But nice try, thanks for playing. (see 'straw man' argument http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man_argument)

BTW, when the public protested, Thaksin dissolved Parliament and held crooked elections that were nullified by the EC and later led to the banning for 5 years of the Party's executive board. Thaksin walked out of government house and turned the caretaker PMs chair over to one of his deputy PMs and then two weeks later waltzed back into the PMs chair with no mandate nor justification. As there was no legal route to force him out or to force him to hold proper elections, the Royal Thai Army removed him more than four months after the crooked election was annulled. At the time his mandate as caretaker PM had long-since expired. NOW, tell me when the electorate would have had a vote to vote the majority party out?

As you can see Dr. Thaksin used his rubber stamp Parliament to benefit his personal wealth. I have at least 20 other, well publicized examples where Dr. Thaksin used his puppet government to benefit his personal business interests, including the government of Thailand extending low interest loans to the government of Burma to buy ShinCorp equipment and satellite services to build their cell phone network. Sure Burma lets him come and go anytime he wants. Dr. Thaksin tripled his wealth while in office. Does that mean anything to you?

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

May 8 - Constitutional Court rules April election invalid.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

source CNN time line Thailand 2006: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 2

Care to elaborate?

He has been back, it was just not publicized. It is rather easy for a private plane from Hong Kong to fly into Chiang Mai. All it needs is an approved flight plan. VIPs are often whisked unseen from the airport. It's the worst kept secret in Thailand. If smugglers can engage unimpeded in their business, what would be so implausible about 1 person slipping in for a visit?

• Like 1

I can think of no one more who deserves to be reincarnated ......

as a flea on an elephants behind

fleas live too short a life, how about as a very good looking, very poor, illiterate, rural lady boy?

Ahh so that's your strategy to make him popular with his most vocal of western critics. You certainly know the demographic, I'll grant you that.

• Like 1

Thaksin is a hypocrite. He makes merit and prays for goodness, yet he blatantly behaves unethically.

That is nonsense. Either you are a good person and you make merit or you are a bum.

To make merit and behave like a horse's ass in real life is utter nonsense.

No one will respect you except people who you give money to so that they will vote for you.

• Like 2