Thaksin makes merit in Myanmar

webfact

Top bloke, did more for Thailand than anyone ever.

Examples please, or is it satire?

Actually Mosha, i have to agree, not satire. Most Felang don't see or know the small things he did, but the small things were very important things that have stuck with the people and they never forgot. Amongst others;

# Reliable electricity in the villages.

# Reliable and clean water systems and storage systems ie water towers in the villages.

# Red dirt roads between villages and even small towns turned into tarmac roads.

# Removing all red dirt roads/paths inside the villages, for a healthier, cleaner, dust free enviroment. This was done by the villagers themselves, local govnt supplying materials and the village folk doing the labour themselves. Huge improvement overnight in living stds. Not a great deal of costs. Simples.

# Where there was excessive water, post rainy season, those villages got water pumping stations to enable 2 crops of rice per season instead of one.

# A load of other stuff, and the more well known things like the OTOP One Tambon One Product, village loans etc. I know of several successful hard working families that to this day owe a debt of gratitude to him, because his loans started them off.

Now all this was done in a 3-4 year period up to 2005. People who slag him off have to think ; now why did NOBODY else come up with these ideas, let alone actually implement them. Especially in the 20 years prior to 2001-2. NOBODY.

As for the nasty shit he did, well the Israelis have always said "kill one of us, we'll kill 8 of you". Israel is still there, maybe you've got to do similar here in the deep South. You cannot negotiate with people who kill teachers, blow up schools and be-head monks. Gotta take a hard line and Thaksin did. Softly softly don't work down there, look at the mess at the moment.

As for corruption, yes he was, but who isnt in this land. Some more, some less, but nobody is spick'n'span white here. Yeah, he took more than most, but he was the only one who gave something back. A lot of small things back.

• Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Mosha, i have to agree, not satire. Most Felang don't see or know the small things he did, but the small things were very important things that have stuck with the people and they never forgot. Amongst others;

# Reliable and clean water systems and storage systems ie water towers in the villages.

# Red dirt roads between villages and even small towns turned into tarmac roads.

# Removing all red dirt roads/paths inside the villages, for a healthier, cleaner, dust free enviroment. This was done by the villagers themselves, local govnt supplying materials and the village folk doing the labour themselves. Huge improvement overnight in living stds. Not a great deal of costs. Simples.

# Where there was excessive water, post rainy season, those villages got water pumping stations to enable 2 crops of rice per season instead of one.

# A load of other stuff, and the more well known things like the OTOP One Tambon One Product, village loans etc. I know of several successful hard working families that to this day owe a debt of gratitude to him, because his loans started them off.

Now all this was done in a 3-4 year period up to 2005. People who slag him off have to think ; now why did NOBODY else come up with these ideas, let alone actually implement them. Especially in the 20 years prior to 2001-2. NOBODY.

As for the nasty shit he did, well the Israelis have always said "kill one of us, we'll kill 8 of you". Israel is still there, maybe you've got to do similar here in the deep South. You cannot negotiate with people who kill teachers, blow up schools and be-head monks. Gotta take a hard line and Thaksin did. Softly softly don't work down there, look at the mess at the moment.

As for corruption, yes he was, but who isnt in this land. Some more, some less, but nobody is spick'n'span white here. Yeah, he took more than most, but he was the only one who gave something back. A lot of small things back.

You are correct a lot of things were done. Most understand that .. BUT consider this. Did Thaksin get the idea's from watching how his coalition partners worked Banharn Silpa Archer is a good case in point .. spend and improve to safeguard your position (Google for details) also a great many of Thaksin's ideas have made the poor beholden to him and generally pushed them into debt. Some say on purpose .. I don't know!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

You are correct a lot of things were done. Most understand that .. BUT consider this. Did Thaksin get the idea's from watching how his coalition partners worked Banharn Silpa Archer is a good case in point .. spend and improve to safeguard your position (Google for details) also a great many of Thaksin's ideas have made the poor beholden to him and generally pushed them into debt. Some say on purpose .. I don't know!

another way of looking at it is to quote the beatles song...taxman....." one for you, nineteen for me"....although George Harrison was referring to the British tax man in the song....the same rational can be applied to Thaksinomics, the peasants were thrown crumbs, while the clan themselves took the vast majority of the pie...

I was watching Sky Blue TV last night and Mr. Suthep spoke to his 'followers' about Mr. Thaksin visiting Burma. Suthep told the small crowd that Thaksin had gone to take park in a "Black Magic Ceremony" to bring bad luck to the PDRC. A very different account than has been portrayed by the Nation.

I was watching Sky Blue TV last night and Mr. Suthep spoke to his 'followers' about Mr. Thaksin visiting Burma. Suthep told the small crowd that Thaksin had gone to take park in a "Black Magic Ceremony" to bring bad luck to the PDRC. A very different account than has been portrayed by the Nation.

Dunno about now but he has been involved in Thai style animistic stuff in the past!

Who knows what to believe? Therefor I believe what I posted a few posts back! tongue.png

Dunno about now but he has been involved in Thai style animistic stuff in the past!

As well as his cousin's voodoo session (AKA black magic ceremony) :

Thaksin's supporters hold rite to relieve him of bad lucks

CHIANG MAI: -- Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters held a rite at a Chiang Mai temple Tuesday aimed at correcting "his sins in the past life" that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma.

The rite, a combination of animism, voodoo, and Buddhism, was performed by the abbot of Wat Umong and eight other monks, as well as a pro-Thaksin trance medium. It was presided over by General Chaisit Shinawatra, Thaksin's cousin and former supreme commander of the armed forces.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-s-supporters-hold-rite-to-relieve-him-of-b-30095937.html

post-201413-0-52603600-1392202197_thumb.

• Like 1

Thaksin hasn't been this close to Thailand than when - well, since he was there last, or the time before, or in Cambodia - inside or outside of cabinet. The journey over the bridge is quite brief, but he'll never, ever make it. Because although he has a fondness for making merit, he's seriously scared of jail. That's about the extent of his conviction. So there you have it - comfortably nestled in countries which have almost no human rights. He's right at home.

Perhaps he suffers claustrofobia. I suffer claustrofobia. When I could avoid sitting in the cell block, I would take the opportunity. Like Thaksin. Human Rights vs. Thaksin. I see those nonsense posts more often. As if people were not free to walk and operate in Thailand during Thaksin. As if you were jailed and tortured if you criticized him. Bullocks. The day he is back will be a blessing for Thailand.and foreigners living here if they look carefully at the differences in regimes.

I work with an MNC with lots of Thai engineers/technical people, and although I never talk politics directly with them, none of my business, but get the impression over 90% of them hate his guts, the PTP and his dear sister...based on the remarks they make

So I guess the PTP can write them off as supporters then. When these educated engineers can have a civic and civil conversation with the majority of their fellow citizens who thing otherwise and convince them to their views of politics, instead of looking down on them or trying to disenfranchise them, then Thailand will be a better place. Until then, who gives a $#@* what these engineers think.

instead of looking down on them or trying to disenfranchise them, then Thailand will be a better place. Until then, who gives a $#@* what these engineers think.

You seem completely oblivious at the irony and hypocrisy of this sentence.

• Like 1

As well as his cousin's voodoo session (AKA black magic ceremony) :

Thaksin's supporters hold rite to relieve him of bad lucks

CHIANG MAI: -- Ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's supporters held a rite at a Chiang Mai temple Tuesday aimed at correcting "his sins in the past life" that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma.

The rite, a combination of animism, voodoo, and Buddhism, was performed by the abbot of Wat Umong and eight other monks, as well as a pro-Thaksin trance medium. It was presided over by General Chaisit Shinawatra, Thaksin's cousin and former supreme commander of the armed forces.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-s-supporters-hold-rite-to-relieve-him-of-b-30095937.html

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

"correcting "his sins in the past life"that were believed to have resulted in his bad karma."

But what about his sins, in the current life, crimes & business-deals (Monson ?) & drug-campaign deaths & so-on ?

Incidentally, who is that young man in the photo, he looks vaguely similar to the wrinkled former-PM himself, I wonder are they in-any-way related ? whistling.gif

Edited by Ricardo