Recommended Breakfast in Ubon Ratchatani: Rapeepan Ville

SantiSuk

Stayed at the excellent Rapeepan Ville on Saturday. OK it should be good at 1,200 baht a night (pre-booked Agoda) in view of the generally good value that can be had at broadly half that price (Phadaeng, Outside Inn etc), but I thought it was really excellent in its class at the high end of medium price. Would have given them a 10 out of 10 (my max anywhere has been 9), but their TV offer (kit and programming) were sub-par in this category of hotel.

The main point of posting was to highlight the breakfast, which they make available to non-residents too. When you stay as a guest the standard breakfast (inclusive in room rate) is a Thai-oriented buffet in a very nice coffee shop in an urban garden environment (aircon and outside seating), comprising:

Fruits

Salads

Choice of savoury fried rice with spicy sausage (excellent), a noodle dish, rice soup (which my wife said was excellent) [or all 3!]

Fried eggs

Breads and Chinese donuts

A cup of Bon Cafe coffee - best I had with breakfast anywhere in Thailand

Fruit juices/water

An American breakfast is available as an additional 150 baht, which looked quite a fulsome one on the picture.

At my request TW asked whether outsiders can come in and purchase the American breakfast. Response was that they are welcome and they get to pick from all the other stuff as well for their 150 baht. I can't believe this can be beat for value/quality in these parts, though I did not go for the AB myself. Nice bright modern atmosphere to the place and the staff throughout the hotel including the manager (owner?) who greeted us down to breakfast were helpful and smiling in an unforced way.

Sounds a bit gushing and advertorial-like. Those that know me know I like to review and pass on stuff. Have no connections.

Post your findings if you try out the American breakfast please.

• Like 2

Rapeepan Ville is owned by Mr Somsak and Mrs Rapeepan ( she was an old primary school friend of my late wife). Somsak would have been the person taking care of you. As it is very close to my house, I have at times thought about putting work colleagues in there. Last year I did check one colleague in for one night and I asked him about the breakfast when I collected him in the morning. He replied that he only has coffee for breakfast and that was fine. So I got no feedback there. It was the breakfast that worried me, because when Somsak showed me what it consisted of I thought it was rather meagre. I like a range of fruits, whole-wheat breads, oatmeal and coffee but that is me. I am very pleased you liked it SantiSuk.

Another important consideration for work colleagues is the wifi. Did you try it? Was it fast? Somsak is very proud of his hotel with all the nice teak panels - it has a fresh modern feel to the place. I don't know what its occupancy rate is but I do know that Pen-ta-hug on Soi 9 has nearly 90% and yet, I have not heard a good word about that place from friends you have stayed there. Beds too hard, water hardly flows etc.

Seeing we are discussing hotels in this area, you may not have noticed a large hotel being constructed up behind the combine harvester dealship, on the left hand side just after you cross the Little Mun River coming on the bypass road from Central Plaza. I wonder what that will be like?

I have always wanted to stay there but never has it been in an area that I need to be. Thanks for the nice report though Santisuk.

Speaking of breakfast... this morning I had a delicious Burrito while the kids raved about the pancakes at Kens American Bistro (near Sapphasit Hospital). Well worth checking out.

Sounds like Mr Somsak runs a nice tidy place. Perhaps it might be a good place to celebrate your upcoming nuptials Michael?

• Like 1

Sounds like you need the Santisuk hotel inspector's (!) full report then Michael. Here it is.

Rapeepan Ville Assessed 8-Feb-14 Room booked 6 foot double 2nd floor Room rate 1200 baht (Advance non-refundable purchase Agoda.com) English spoken? Yes (fluent) Age of hotel/rooms (approx years) 18 months Bedroom size 4.8m x 3.7m (with 1.65m square cut-out for part of bathroom Bathroom size 1.4m x 2.5m. A bit cramped Bathroom style Premium tiled. Light and modern. Separate shower area Other accommodation Small smokers balcony - no chair Breakfast? Mostly Thai (American is 150 baht more) but excellent range and fresh. Fresh individual brewed Bon Café coffee (nice) Bed Medium Linens Quality cottons and nice range of towels Freebies 2 waters/cheap shampoo/decent soap/coffee&tea/shower cap/cotton bud sticks Facilities Small fridge. Coffee & tea-making. Hairdryer TV Sharp 21" old style English language channels Selected cheaper CTH and True programming. 70 channels but not much English language (Aljazeera, Eurosport, some GMM channels might show English football but Thai language only; no English language movies) TV signal/reception quality Good WiFi Public+in-room. Good signal. Fast. Quality of fitments Premium light wood. Well-designed Location Garden style within fringes of centre. Close Big C Cleanliness Excellent Bathroom fitments Good fittings. Ok medium shower head. Good hot water power. Hot water to basin (but no plug!) Everything working fine. Parking Free. Car park sufficient but tight manouvering Aircon Modern. Works fine Positive features (in class) Very stylish. Good English. Outstanding staff - unforced smiles by eveyone. Breakfast delightful. Shower area does not overspill. Good sound insulation. Comfortable beds Disappointments Small TV, sub par on English programs. Slightly cramped bathroom. No basin plug Tip Ask for 3rd floor or west facing 2nd. (Blocked view on E side 2nd) Personal rating 9 out of 10

Woops - Excel does not paste very favourably. Try the attachment

For avoidance of doubt bed comfort was well up to Western standards and wi-fi was fast. Both better than expected in its class.

[There were lots of pictures of youngish Thai guests in reception. My wife stopped to browse - apparently all well known Thai TV soap stars/personalities. I could see why these types might choose this rather naice boutique hotel if they didn't want the big Sunnee Grand. Generally it was patronised by the well-groomed and attractives ...just like me and my wife of coursetongue.png ].

Pentahug is my next target for try-out BTW

Ubon hotels rapeepan ville.pdf

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Rapeepan Ville is owned by Mr Somsak and Mrs Rapeepan ( she was an old primary school friend of my late wife). Somsak would have been the person taking care of you. As it is very close to my house, I have at times thought about putting work colleagues in there. Last year I did check one colleague in for one night and I asked him about the breakfast when I collected him in the morning. He replied that he only has coffee for breakfast and that was fine. So I got no feedback there. It was the breakfast that worried me, because when Somsak showed me what it consisted of I thought it was rather meagre. I like a range of fruits, whole-wheat breads, oatmeal and coffee but that is me. I am very pleased you liked it SantiSuk.

Another important consideration for work colleagues is the wifi. Did you try it? Was it fast? Somsak is very proud of his hotel with all the nice teak panels - it has a fresh modern feel to the place. I don't know what its occupancy rate is but I do know that Pen-ta-hug on Soi 9 has nearly 90% and yet, I have not heard a good word about that place from friends you have stayed there. Beds too hard, water hardly flows etc.

Seeing we are discussing hotels in this area, you may not have noticed a large hotel being constructed up behind the combine harvester dealship, on the left hand side just after you cross the Little Mun River coming on the bypass road from Central Plaza. I wonder what that will be like?

Hi there Michael. My last post as a resident of Ubon I think. Moving on to the south. The hotel you refer to just passed Central is owned by the same family who own the De Bua Ville on the Yaso road. May see you down south some day. Best wishes with your impending marriage. Cheers. John

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app