Draft decree setting senatorial election date as March 30 approved

webfact

Draft decree setting senatorial election date as March 30 approved
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The caretaker Cabinet on Tuesday approved a draft royal decree to set the senatorial election date for March 30, said Sunisa Lertpakkawat, deputy spokeswoman for the caretaker government.

The caretaker Cabinet approved the draft as proposed by the Election Commission.

The election is to fill the seats of elected senators, whose six-year term will expire on March 1.

The candidacy registration of senatorial candidates will be held from March 4 to 8.

The draft decree will be scrutinised by the Council of State and will be announced in the Royal Gazette on March 2, Sunisa said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-11

Note that the Senate also has a 95% quorum to open its new session.

It is thus feasible to use the same tactics as the Suthepistas and cripple the whole National Assembly. This would at least stop the Senate from appointing an interim government to replace the caretaker one.

I'm not saying it would be right or wrong, democratic or not - just that it could be a tit-for-tat tactic.

Who would be in charge then? The Privy Council? Who knows!! A lot can happen between now and then.

It is thus feasible to use the same tactics as the Suthepistas and cripple the whole National Assembly. This would at least stop the Senate from appointing an interim government to replace the caretaker one.

I'm not saying it would be right or wrong, democratic or not - just that it could be a tit-for-tat tactic.

Who would be in charge then? The Privy Council? Who knows!! A lot can happen between now and then.

What are you talking about?

The senate does not have a 95% quorum???

That only applies to parliament, not the senate. The senate is composed of totally non-political candidates, they are not allowed to stand if they have been involved in politics for 5 years. they can also not be a family member of a politician.

Your observations are therefore based on untrue speculation.

The entire senate can in fact be 100% convened and the interim government selected.

Role on April 1st... I can't wait.

I will add by stating that none of the PTP bought senators will likely feature seeing as they are due to be impeached before the new senate is chosen.

Hahahahaha.

• Like 1

The role of the Senate will be key in the nomination of a new prime minister after April 1 - as per Article 7. All the dominos are being lined up in order for Article 7 to take effect at that time - no parliamentary quorum and as a result of that, no nominated prime minister. There is no constitutional provision for a perpetual caretaker status. Without a quorum and nomination they will be stripped of that status on April 1.

That only applies to parliament, not the senate. The senate is composed of totally non-political candidates, they are not allowed to stand if they have been involved in politics for 5 years. they can also not be a family member of a politician.

The entire senate can in fact be 100% convened and the interim government selected.

I will add by stating that none of the PTP bought senators will likely feature seeing as they are due to be impeached before the new senate is chosen.

Hahahahaha.

There's this;

The senate is composed of totally non-political candidates, they are not allowed to stand if they have been involved in politics for 5 years. they can also not be a family member of a politician.

and then there's this;

So what's true then, mightyatom, are senators non-political or "bought off" PTP lackeys? Any comments on the "Group of 40"?

Another knee jerk post with no thought applied beforehand

It will be interesting if abhisit finds enough wriggle room in his moral arguments about elections to vote in this one , thus restoring his eligilibility to vote and hold political office...............................

Hahahahaha.

Go read section 111 paragraph 4.

The role of the Senate will be key in the nomination of a new prime minister after April 1 - as per Article 7. All the dominos are being lined up in order for Article 7 to take effect at that time - no parliamentary quorum and as a result of that, no nominated prime minister. There is no constitutional provision for a perpetual caretaker status. Without a quorum and nomination they will be stripped of that status on April 1.

And so the slow death of an infant democracy will be completed.

Happy with that are you?

Don't bother answering.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app