Any Android Experts , New i-mobile - problem - Advice please

ThaiLife

I just bought a new i-mobile IQ5.1 Pro for my wife's birthday and it has a problem where the phone turns its self off and instantly reboots back on when my wife starts playing a game.

When playing any game the phone will turn its self off after different lengths of play time ( from a few minuets to 60 minutes play duration )

When a game is being played the phone does get warm but not what I would consider to be over hot

I have un installed several un needed apps and games that came pre installed on the phone ( Facebook, Line, Chat, etc )

With the help of an app called Android Assistant that I installed on the phone , I used the start up manager to stop unnecessary apps from starting when the phone is switched on .

Theses are the current phone settings that I though may be affecting the phone and its turning off and re starting problem , so I set them to the following

schedule power off - not set
screen sleep set to never ( test purposes only )
screen brightness - set to 50% ( test purposes only )
Battery level on start of playing - 100%
Forced quite all other running applications , so no other apps are running in the back ground when the game was playing .

There was a recent OTA firmware up date installed ( the re booting problem still occurred after the new firmware update )

I carried out a factory reset of the phone , and the re booting problem still occurred

The phone still re boots when playing games even if its set to airaplane mode

The games that when being played cause the phone to turn its self off and instantly reboots back on , have been installed both on the phone and on the SD card ( this made no difference where the app was located and the problem still occurred )

I carried out a factory reset of the phone , and the re booting problem still occurred

The phone has the following specification

CPU - 1.2Ghz
Android 4.1.2
Internal memory - ROM 4GB / RAM 1GB
External SD card installed - 2GB
Battery 2500mAh

The main problem I can see we may have when we return the phone to the i-mobile shop , is that this current re booting problem is an intermittent one and does not occur straight away a game is played ( it could take up to 60 minuets for the problem to occur ) , so knowing my luck when we are standing in the i-mobile shop and my wife tries to shows the problem , the game may play with out a problem .

The phone performs all other functions with out any problems ( browsing, camera , phone calls , music etc )

I'm wondering if ive missed some thing that may be causing the above problem ?

Any thoughts / advice / comments ?

Thanks wai.gif

Did you try playing games with the phone plugged in? I don't know if it's possible but if, lets say battery is defected in some ways, and causing the phone reboots, then it should perform fine when plugged in?

Did you notice any relationships between what type of game and reboot frequencies? Like, would really demanding newer 3D games cause it to reboot sooner?

Try downloading an app from the play store called a battery killer. It can load up the phone to the max, if anything if could cause your phone to reboot instantly so here can be a good way to demonstrate the phone's problem at the shop.

Did you try playing games with the phone plugged in? I don't know if it's possible but if, lets say battery is defected in some ways, and causing the phone reboots, then it should perform fine when plugged in?

Did you notice any relationships between what type of game and reboot frequencies? Like, would really demanding newer 3D games cause it to reboot sooner?

Try downloading an app from the play store called a battery killer. It can load up the phone to the max, if anything if could cause your phone to reboot instantly so here can be a good way to demonstrate the phone's problem at the shop.

Thanks for the suggestions, currently to try and track down the re boot problem there's only two games now installed on the

phone

1. Kingdom & Lords ( came pre installed )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftDKHM&hl=en_GB

2. My Talking Tom ( I installed this )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outfit7.mytalkingtomfree&hl=en_GB

After reading your suggestion to play a game with the battery charger connected to the phone, I just asked my wife to try that

while playing My Talking Tom , the phone shut down and went into re boot after about five minutes of playing time .

Both these above games seem to some times play for long periods before rebooting , then the next time they are played they can go into reboot within a few minutes .

not too sure whats going on sad.png

mediatek chipsets have an overheat app that you MUST not close. i think it's called thermal manager or something like that. Just white list that app in your android assistant so it does not get stopped.. it should be fine then!

Thanks for the comment , ive searched with the Android Assistant app but had no luck in finding any thing like '' thermal manager or something like that '' . I'm going to turn off Android Assistant to see if theres some thing going on , but thinking about this problem , it was occuring even before I installed Android Assistant and set some applications from starting when the phones is first switched on .

should have got the 5.3, much bigger battery.

At the time I thought the IQ 5.1 Pro was a good deal at 4,900 Baht , and it has a removable battery .

Do you think that the IQ 5.1 Pro having a smaller battery may be causing the current rebooting problem ?

just loaded Kingdom and lords

plays fine, screen turns off randomly, just need to press "wakeup" button on side to turn it back on.

The current problem with my IQ 5.1 Pro , is not that you have to press any buttons to wakeup the screen , but that when playing Kingdom & Lords , the phone completly shuts down for a second and then reboots it self back to a normal on state , then you have to re start the game once more .

Take it to the shop where you bought it and get a new.

My app.1 year old iq4 never had any problems, maybe you got a dud.

I and my wife will be taking the phone back to the i-mobile shop , but as for getting a new phone , I think you only have 10 days in which to return a faulty phone and request a refund or replacment and we have had the phone now for two weeks . I can see the i-mobile shop just saying leave the phone with us and we will call you when its been repaired , and who knows how that will turn out , especially with this current intermittent rebooting issue , so thats why I want to try to see if the problem can be solved first .

I too have had other i-mobile phones in the past and never had any problems .

Just checked my Q6. Go into settings. Apps. Scroll across to "ALL " then scroll down until you find MTK Thermal Manager. Your phone has a different chipset than mine but I'm pretty sure it's on ALL meditek chips.

It might not be that but I had problems on mine until I white listed it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

Just checked my Q6. Go into settings. Apps. Scroll across to "ALL " then scroll down until you find MTK Thermal Manager. Your phone has a different chipset than mine but I'm pretty sure it's on ALL meditek chips.

It might not be that but I had problems on mine until I white listed it.

I had a look for the MTK Thermal Manager where you suggested and in this IQ 5.1 Pro ( running Android 4.1.2 ) there was nothing shown.

I decided to factory reset the phone back to its original state by following this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyJQVineirk

Once the phone had been factory re set I did not touch any settings or download and install any new apps. Then my wife played the game , Kingdom & Lords ( came pre installed ) and it played without any problems or rebooting for over two hours , this game seems to be fairly slow paced and not graphic intensive .

Then I downloaded and installed a game called Temple Run 2 , this game has a lot of moving graphics and is quick paced , the game ran for twenty minutes and then the phone rebooted its self .

I then downloaded and installed the game called My Talking Tom , again a lot of nice graphics , this game ran for fifteen minutes and once again the phone rebooted its self.

When playing both the games Temple Run 2 and My Talking Tom the back of the phone did feel warmer than normal .

It does now seem that slow moving not so graphic intensive games play without rebooting the phone .

We are not sure now of the best option , as my wife is not too concerned about playing numerous games and the fact that the phone is currently performing well in all other areas apart from some games , we at this time are thinking about doing nothing and she just continues to uses the phone .

Personally we both know from past problems that when trying to obtain a satisfactory outcome with electronic goods still under warranty here in Thailand , the out come is normally disappointing.

wai.gif

Edited by ThaiLife

Thailife.. my bad. I just checked the spec of the 5.1. And found its a qualcomm chipset. Sorry for wasting your time .

Hi

no problems, I'm just happy for your input thumbsup.gif