'Cobra Gold 2014' kicks off in Thailand

webfact

Thailand hosting international military drill

PNPOL570212001000301_12022014_104640.jpg

PHITSANULOK, 12 February 2014 (NNT) – The annual multilateral military drill, Cobra Gold 2014, has kicked off in Phitsanulok Province, with the armed forces of Thailand, USA, and other nations participating.

Military troops from Thailand, the United States, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia gathered at Camp Akatosorot in Phitsanulok to take part in an opening ceremony held to mark the official start of Exercise Cobra Gold 2014.

The exercise is aimed at improving the ability of nations to conduct and plan joint military operations as well as to build relationships between member states.

In addition to the seven countries attending the drill, at least twenty more countries have sent observers to this year's drill, which is focused on humanitarian assistance in a conflict situation, as well as disaster relief.

Miss Kristie Kenney, US Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand, said Cobra Gold was the world’s largest and most successful multilateral military exercise.

Around 10,000 military personnel are taking part in this annual exercise, which continues until February 21.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-12 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Some of my Thai friends fluent in English thought Cobra Gold was the name of an exciting new movie and wanted to see it right away. I chuckled while the disappointment was a real bust to them.

The military English is at least as good as the English of a diplomatic corps, sometimes better which is the case in most of the participating militaries as their officers train and study in the US from the time early in their careers they are pegged for rising through the officer corps to positions of senior command - US Army War College, US Command and General Staff College and the like.

The tall guy in the summer Navy whites is the chief cook and bottle officer of the US Pacific Command at Pearl Harbor. They too have an eternal summer. I don't know about you but I count four stars on each shoulder board.

Every one of the countries is getting huge headaches from China which is certain to be the second most important topic of conversation in the commanders lounge, not having a coup in Thailand being the foremost topic. The Thai general at the US admiral's right is gonna have both his hands and ears full.

Three ambassadors showing up aren't there for the sport of it either.

Beijing is one of the 20 approved observer governments to have senior commanders present (along with diplomats and other spies), so the conversations will be interesting - to say the least.

Adm Locklear Kicks Off 33rd Cobra Gold Exercise in Thailand

In a ceremony at Camp Akatosarot in Thailand today, Navy Admiral. Samuel J. Locklear III, commander of U.S. Pacific Command, kicked off the 33rd iteration of Exercise Cobra Gold.

Noting that Thailand is the oldest U.S. ally in the region – the U.S.-Thai alliance is entering its 181st year -- Locklear called Cobra Gold the Pacific’s signature exercise and one of the largest and most important multilateral exercises in which the United States participates.

“Together, we can build a common view on security interests,” he said, adding that through such bilateral and multilateral engagements, participating nations will improve and share understanding, and enhance trust.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=121641

N.B. Japan and South Korea are consciously being kept just about as far apart as possible. Getting them to eat at the same table will be a military and diplomatic victory.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

this year's drill, which is focused on humanitarian assistance in a conflict situation, as well as disaster relief.

Ominous. Humanitarian assistance in a conflict situation.

Do the planners know something about Thailand's future needs that we don't?

Hardly GK but even the slightest lateral thought would lead you to the South China Sea scenario.

Yes ... we can expect the Chinese to throw another one of their mini tantrums now. .....

Really?

Chinese troops join US-Thailand Cobra Gold military exercises for the first time

BEIJING, Feb. 12 (Xinhuanet) -- China is participating for the first time in the joint US-Thailand annual military exercise named Cobra Gold 2014. The exercise has begun in Thailand.

Cobra Gold is the largest Asia-Pacific Military exercise, held in Thailand every year since 1982. This year’s drill will last 13 days, during which 17 Chinese soldiers will participate in various sections of the exercise.

xinhuanet

China Takes Part in Cobra Gold Military Drills

The annual multilateral military exercise Cobra Gold has kicked off in Thailand's Phitsanulok on Tuesday.

For the first time China is attending the multilateral military exercise, led by the United States and Thailand.

Chinese soldiers will join fellow soldiers from other nations to participate in joint humanitarian relief drills.

CRI's Xie Zhao has more.

A total of 17 Chinese soldiers, mainly from the Guangzhou Military Area Command, will participate in humanitarian relief drills beginning February 18th.

According to the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, the Chinese squad will also take part in command and coordination operations, engineering assistance, medical aid as well as discussions and exchanges of military medical sciences.

CRIEnglish

• Like 1

this year's drill, which is focused on humanitarian assistance in a conflict situation, as well as disaster relief.

Ominous. Humanitarian assistance in a conflict situation.

Do the planners know something about Thailand's future needs that we don't?

"Do the planners know something about Thailand's future needs that we don't?"

Looking at the world through farang colored spectacles again, hmm?

I think they're probably trying to establish links for possible future assistance FROM Thailand and ASEAN as the Eurozone and US economy continue to flounder.

banksters-economist-cover-libor.jpg

Edited by Tywais
Copyright image removed
  • Like 1

W>T>F> They should all join together and sort out all the Mobbers and all the corruption Than give the people a chance to a honest election and vote for a Government;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;PS ain't gonna happen;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;What the F was I thingking?

Edited by Doc46

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war, hopefully. Let us hope they learn their tradcraft well and never have to use it. The Chinese won't see anything they aren't supposed to see. CG has been happening for years and the sky hasn't fallen yet. These troops aren't like we were, they are well behaved and the young ones scared shitless from the propaganda they receive before being allowed shore leave. They are told every woman here has aids and anybody that tries to 'talk' to you is a spy, jeez-give me a break. That bit of info came from a USMC Captain (Mustang-yes they still exist) and his first shirt I had occasion to tip a few with, one old USMC to another. As an added 'benefit' they now get court martials if caught with a prostitute, sick do-gooder policy. Yes, some of the ladies will benefit from their arrival but not near as many as one would think. Many of the troops are on starboard/port liberty with the lower ranks having to be back to base by midnight. From what I've observed, some of the most well behaved people I have seen. They do a lot of community service work while here. If you happen to met some just say hello, buy them a beer, ah might better look at the eyes if you think you want to start some shit, you can tell where they have been by the eyes, you Vets will understand.

Semper Fi

• Like 2

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war, hopefully. Let us hope they learn their tradcraft well and never have to use it. The Chinese won't see anything they aren't supposed to see. CG has been happening for years and the sky hasn't fallen yet. These troops aren't like we were, they are well behaved and the young ones scared shitless from the propaganda they receive before being allowed shore leave. They are told every woman here has aids and anybody that tries to 'talk' to you is a spy, jeez-give me a break. That bit of info came from a USMC Captain (Mustang-yes they still exist) and his first shirt I had occasion to tip a few with, one old USMC to another. As an added 'benefit' they now get court martials if caught with a prostitute, sick do-gooder policy. Yes, some of the ladies will benefit from their arrival but not near as many as one would think. Many of the troops are on starboard/port liberty with the lower ranks having to be back to base by midnight. From what I've observed, some of the most well behaved people I have seen. They do a lot of community service work while here. If you happen to met some just say hello, buy them a beer, ah might better look at the eyes if you think you want to start some shit, you can tell where they have been by the eyes, you Vets will understand. Semper Fi

I live here in Pattaya and agree. They are well behaved and cause far fewer problems than the tourists passing through. Their humanitarian work is well documented and very much appreciated by all that live here.

1Sgt (Ret)

• Like 1