Traditional Thai medical "superstitions"?

wym

I've always scoffed at Thais telling me that people with the flu shouldn't consume cold things or sweets.

I presume there hasn't been any research to back such beliefs up, but with the increasing credibility of traditional eastern systems of medicine, and my growing realization of the intellectual bankruptcy of the "modern medicine" research system, I'm now having second thoughts.

First, are there other such beliefs posters here are aware of? That in itself would be interesting.

But more importantly, does anyone from western culture have any awareness of the truth of such "superstitions"? With or without sources is fine, but that would be icing on the cake. . .

And I realize most foreigners here think such beliefs are rubbish, the Thai are silly etc so no need to express those sorts of thoughts, taken as given 8-)

Flu is a virus, no cold things is also told in Europe and has no base at all. Obviously you shouldn't stress the body with drinking 1 liter ice cold water in 30 seconds.....

From no sweets: never heard that....my Thai wife even recommends sweet things when sick....In Europe I never heard positive or negative things on sweet things when having the flu.

Many of these "superstitions" or beliefs arose during times when poor people did not have access to ( or could not afford) medical treatment. There is no doubt that some of these " cures" provided at least some symptom relief and the placebo effect of some was (is) powerful.

However in evaluating these " care systems" it must be remembered that there were significant mortality rates associated with there use.

In Thailand especially in rural areas , belief in these cures remains deeply ingrained in society which is not surprising as universal health care (the 30 Bht system) has been a very recent innovation.

"Superstitions " also exist in the West where Quack "cures" are sold , especially via the internet !

Google "Quackwatch" for more information on the "cures" available in the West !

i think you may struggle to find any substantial evidence for "Eastern medicines" effectiveness in for example the treatment of Dengue Fever !

Many Thais believe that when one has a STD, all they need to do is to go to a certain temple and make some merit (monetary donations). Furthermore, to visit a certain monk in that temple, who will perform a special ritual to get rid of the STD.

I don't know if there is any truth in it, on whether it works or not. I wouldn't want to find out either, as the donations to the temple and monk costs more than the medicines to cure a STD. So in economic terms, it has no merit for me.

Western can't treat it either, just hydration, symptom relief and - time.

Which demonstrates little understanding of the disease!

Sure "just hydration" but sometimes that has to be achieved by technical means.

Does the local healer have the skills and knowledge to undertake the task or maybe the local herbalist will have the answer ?

And if you should be unlucky enough to suffer Haemorrhagic Dengue best pray you have access to a good doctor, well qualified nurses , a medical laboratory and a blood bank !

• Like 1

For each of us there comes a time, when our time has come, death is just a part of life.

Extraordinary measures to delay the inevitable is often a huge waste of resources better spent elsewhere.

Goes doubly so for myself, put the money toward my kids college tuition please.

• Like 1

For each of us there comes a time, when our time has come, death is just a part of life.

Extraordinary measures to delay the inevitable is often a huge waste of resources better spent elsewhere.

Goes doubly so for myself, put the money toward my kids college tuition please.

Sadly it is the children who indeed suffer and need the greatest medical assistance.

Little ones with high temperatures often cannot orally sustain their hydration needs, and skilled medical intervention is required if a tragedy is to be averted.

Yes for my kids I'll go along with the more expensive scientific superstitions.

My boy's had febrile seizures at night with what seems just a bad cough in the day time.

To the point he looked at me, wide-eyed seemingly fully awake asking me "who are you and what are you doing here?" and talking about hallucinations.

Scary stuff. . .

Traditional Thai medicine is based on element theory, which is found in traditional medicine the world over. It's found in ancient Mayan medicine, ancient Greek medicine, ancient Indian medicine, ancient Chinese medicine, Tibetan, and Thai. Each system is somewhat differernt, but they are all based on the same concepts. When used by someone who has put serious study into learning the medicine, all of these systems can work quite well. They are complicated and detailed medical systems, just as western biomedicine is. Trying to understand western biomedicine in a forum post, if it was completely new to you, would be impossilbe. Same goes for the traditional medical systems, although I appreciate that you asked.

If you want to understand the specific area of Thai medicine that your question relates to, I suggest you get the book Thai Herbal Medicine, coming out in April http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Herbal-Medicine-Traditional-Recipes/dp/1844096270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392256132&sr=8-1&keywords=thai+herbal+medicine

There isn't a lot written about Thai medicine in English, and of that that has been written much is inaccruate, however there is a huge volumne of English language books about Ayurvedic medicine, which employs many of the same concepts. So if you want further reading you might look in that direction.

I'm here in Thailand researching traditional medicine, and can say that like ALL medcal systems, it has areas that it shines in, and areas where it doesn't. That perscrpition for what to avoid when you have the flu isn't a cure - those saying that there is no cure for the flu once it has lodged itself in the body, are correct - but it is sound advice for helping your body to stay strong while dealing with the flu. However, the advice about cold and sweet are blanket statements, which isn't how traditional Thai medicine really works. It's the kind of thing that people who are not doctors (traditional or otherwise) say. A true traditional medicine practitioner works with the individual. So how the flu is manifesting in YOUR body, will change the perscription. If you are suffering from fever for example, you will be given different advice than if you are suffering from upper respiratory mucous. Layman's medicine is quite different than working with a true traditional medicine doctor.

I believe local medicine works for minor not long lasting issues. In most countries If I had diarea I would accept the local cure and if it worked as it usually does not run to western medicine. However I disagree with the premise that all natural medicine is good and had no respect for those who kept saying that ,for example, in India they have had Leprosy for many years so their herbal medicine must be the best.

Ice and cold drinks cool the Carotid nerves and this affect the breathing response and cuses coughing. easy to see why people say you shouldn;t drink it when you have a cold though I think this would have little serious consequences.

Back to the topic of superstitions: My ex balked at visiting Mt. Hood and playing in the snow. She was convinced that any Thai lady who had her head exposed to the cold would die (if done at the particular time of the month.) We went anyway and I got the silent treatment for a couple of days. By contrast my current fiancee immediately got into a joyous snowball fight with some nearby snowboarders. (First time seeing snow!) ;-)

Here's one for you: a dark, backward belief born of stupidity: "when you feel a cold coming on, take some vitamin C, or echinacea, and soon, your symptoms will vanish"...

oh, wait! that's a folk belief of FARANGS that's totally unfounded and not based on anything remotely resembling science....hahaha

• Like 1

Here's one for you: a dark, backward belief born of stupidity: "when you feel a cold coming on, take some vitamin C, or echinacea, and soon, your symptoms will vanish"...

oh, wait! that's a folk belief of FARANGS that's totally unfounded and not based on anything remotely resembling science....hahaha

Indeed there are legions of farangs in Thailand pushing unproven remedies for almost anything.

The reason you get a fever from the flue is because your body is trying to kill the virus with high temperatures. I don't think staying away from cold things will effect the virus, but it would drop your temperature a bit. Maybe that's the reason for the belief. Anyways, some Thais think their illness is directly related to a sprit and if you make merit the sprit will go awAy. I'd rather be on the receiving end of this system then the giving end.

The reason you get a fever from the flue is because your body is trying to kill the virus with high temperatures. I don't think staying away from cold things will effect the virus, but it would drop your temperature a bit. Maybe that's the reason for the belief. Anyways, some Thais think their illness is directly related to a sprit and if you make merit the sprit will go awAy. I'd rather be on the receiving end of this system then the giving end.

Drinking warm or hot liquids is a good idea because raising body temp. can kill a virus or bacteria that much faster. Hence, getting fevers when ill. BUT a fever over 100.6 for an infant, 104 for a child or 103 for an adult is excessive, even dangerous. Then drink cool liquids and for the children, get them to a doctor ASAP.

Yeah, and they like to go to the fortune tellers if they feel their lives have hit rock bottom. They also like to go to the witch doctor to ask for love spells/portions to attract their mate. Some of you might be under your wife/GF love spells, 555. Why do some bar girls have many sponsors?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Flu is a virus, no cold things is also told in Europe and has no base at all. Obviously you shouldn't stress the body with drinking 1 liter ice cold water in 30 seconds.....

From no sweets: never heard that....my Thai wife even recommends sweet things when sick....In Europe I never heard positive or negative things on sweet things when having the flu.

A virus likes sugar. When a person has cancer most MDs in the USA advise the patient not to eat sugar. Ice water is a shock to the system and health nuts all over the world say not to drink anything too hot or too cold. I take it all with a grain of salt (ha ha) and do what the heck I want that makes me feel better at the moment.

Many of these "superstitions" or beliefs arose during times when poor people did not have access to ( or could not afford) medical treatment. There is no doubt that some of these " cures" provided at least some symptom relief and the placebo effect of some was (is) powerful.

However in evaluating these " care systems" it must be remembered that there were significant mortality rates associated with there use.

In Thailand especially in rural areas , belief in these cures remains deeply ingrained in society which is not surprising as universal health care (the 30 Bht system) has been a very recent innovation.

"Superstitions " also exist in the West where Quack "cures" are sold , especially via the internet !

i think you may struggle to find any substantial evidence for "Eastern medicines" effectiveness in for example the treatment of Dengue Fever !

Undoubtedly western style medicine has done a lot to benefit individuals and the general population, but the rosy scenario that these developments have not been costly, especially to people western medicine considered expendable, is simply smug ethnocentrism. In many cases taking some ineffective traditional medicine is probably safer than what the pharmaceutical industry has bottled up for you. The casualties of modern medicine surely would fill volumes and be a chronicle of horror stories most people would prefer to pretend never happened ... and the drug biz does all it can to ensure it stays a secret.

"Bayer's CEO: We Develop Drugs For Rich Westerners, Not Poor Indians"

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140124/09481025978/big-pharma-ceo-we-develop-drugs-rich-westerners-not-poor.shtml

I lived in rural Africa for 25 years. Most people had some level of natural immunity to malaria. Then western medicine promoted the use of chloroquine or similar drugs as prophylactics. Natural immunity diminished and chloroquine used to treat malaria became less effective and other treatments more expensive and slower acting were introduced ... for those who could afford them.

"However in evaluating these " care systems" it must be remembered that there were significant mortality rates associated with there [sic] use. "

Anyone recall Thalidomide?

article-1138955-002F8EF600000258-941_233

How about western medical studies of sexually transmitted diseases?

The Tuskegee syphilis experiment[1] was an infamous clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 by the U.S. Public Health Service to study the natural progression of untreated syphilis in rural African American men who thought they were receiving free health care from the U.S. government.[1]

The Public Health Service, worked with the Tuskegee Institute, began the study in 1932. Investigators enrolled in the study, a total of 600 impoverished sharecroppers from Macon County, Alabama. 399 of those men had previously contracted syphilis before the study began and 201[2] did not have the disease. The men were given free medical care, meals, and free burial insurance, for participating in the study. They were never told they had syphilis, nor were they ever treated for it.

1978 Experimental Hepatitis B vaccine trials, conducted by the CDC, begin in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Ads for research subjects specifically ask for promiscuous homosexual men. 1981 First cases of AIDS are confirmed in homosexual men in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco, triggering speculation that AIDS may have been introduced via the Hepatitis B vaccine

1994 Senator John D. Rockefeller issues a report revealing that for at least 50 years the Department of Defense has used hundreds of thousands of military personnel in human experiments and for intentional exposure to dangerous substances. Materials included mustard and nerve gas, ionizing radiation, psychochemicals, hallucinogens, and drugs used during the Gulf War .

http://www.rense.com/general36/history.htm

1990 More than 1500 six-month old black and hispanic babies in Los Angeles are given an "experimental" measles vaccine that had never been licensed for use in the United States. CDC later admits that parents were never informed that the vaccine being injected to their children was experimental.

How about care of difficult children?

To aide the stressed 19th-century mother, a series of "soothing syrups," lozenges and powders were created, all which were carefully formulated to ensure they were safe for use by those most vulnerable members of the family. Oh, no, wait. Actually, they pumped each bottle full of as many narcotics as it could hold.

For instance, each ounce of Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup contained 65 mg of pure morphine.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15669_the-10-most-insane-medical-practices-in-history.html#ixzz2tBB0ucUU

And now...

The use of the drug Ritalin is over-prescribed and abused in our society. Physicians prescribe Ritalin to young children in order to calm their hyperactivity in school and at home. It is prescribed to children who have a behavioral problem known as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). The drug Ritalin is extremely controversial. There are several severe side effects to the drug and its use has become so out of hand that Ritalin is being used as a speed for teenagers who sell the pills to each other.
Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I would like to point out that Quackwatch is a thoroughly discredited organisation. Please don't Google Quackwatch if you are looking for the truth about any alternative medicines and protocols!

All their articles are apparently researched and written by one man, who in fact is a front. If you are interested to know more about this organisation which is spreading false information all over the internet, go here (see link below). At one time I was taken in by Quackwatch and believed all they wrote, until after a while I found that some of the protocols they scoffed at actually worked really well. Then I delved deeper into just who Quackwatch really are ...

http://www.thenhf.com/old/newsflash_02.htm

A virus likes sugar. When a person has cancer most MDs in the USA advise the patient not to eat sugar. Ice water is a shock to the system and health nuts all over the world say not to drink anything too hot or too cold. I take it all with a grain of salt (ha ha) and do what the heck I want that makes me feel better at the moment.

Cancer isn't caused by a virus, it's abnormal cell division. When I had cancer I saw a dozen doctors, none of whom ever said anything about sugar.

The other common misconception is that cancer cells can't live in an alkaline body, so avoid eating acidic food. Complete nonsense.