Be wary of govt tricks, Thai farmers told

webfact

Be wary of govt tricks, farmers told
The Nation

30226710-01_big.jpg

Independent experts must inspect rice warehouses, says Warong

BANGKOK: -- FORMER DEMOCRAT MP Warong Dechgitvikrom yesterday urged farmers affected by overdue pledged-rice payments not to fall for caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthumrong Boonsongpai-san's invitation to check on warehouses storing pledged rice.

Warong said the farmers' visits to warehouses would be used by the caretaker government as proof that pledged rice wasn't missing or rotten. The farmers might be shown only the outside or surrounding areas of the warehouses, or rotten rice could be hidden under good rice. He suggested an independent committee with expert representatives should be set up to inspect the facilities along with farmers, adding that the examinations should be done simultaneously across the country and without advance notice. Regarding a blaze at a granary in Lop Buri's Chai Badan district on Tuesday, Warong urged the public not to take damage estimates literally. He said the fire had ruined not only the couple of hundred sacks of rice reported, but also rice may be affected by water damage stemming from fire-fighters' efforts to extinguish the blaze.

Opponents of the pledging scheme have raised suspicions that the fire was started deliberately to cover evidence of irregularities.

Lop Buri Governor Thanakom Jongjiri yesterday said the granary blaze was unlikely to have been the result of arson. The granary, which is surrounded by a fence, stores only broken rice, he said. The governor added that 50 police would be deployed to provide security at the granary. The governor spoke after joining a police forensic team investigating the fire in the district's tambon Lamnarai.

The granary - one of hundreds of government-owned facilities used to store rice under the controversial pledging scheme - reportedly suffered a structural collapse in mid-January, and the rice there was awaiting relocation to another site, according to police.

Pol Colonel Pongnaresuan Tantiwatta-na, an investigator, said the fire's flash point was in the middle of the rice pile. A total of 120 sacks of rice were damaged, he said, 40 of them destroyed by fire and water and the other 80 having simply fallen apart. He said police would look into comments made by the granary's owner, who speculated that the fire might have been caused by flames spreading from an adjacent sugarcane field.

In related news, rice farmers' protests to demand their overdue payments continued yesterday.

Northern Farmers Network chairman Kittisak Rattanawaraha said the affected farmers and the Lawyers Council of Thailand would soon sue at least 10 members of the caretaker government along with those involved in the scheme. He also said his group would join other regions' farmers in a major rally in Bangkok today(February 13) to demand the rice money and to oust the caretaker government, as they wanted a new government that would be fully authorised to help farmers.

In Uttaradit's Muang district, 500 farmers yesterday blocked one lane of the Asia Highway 11 in tambon Hat Kruad. They demanded that the caretaker government pay the overdue rice money within seven days or they would come back to completely block the Wang Si Soob Intersection in tambon Ngew Ngam, which would totally block the entrance to Uttaradit City.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-13

thetic dems politisizing the rice issue yet again. Truth be told its in the dems interest to block payments, to generate hostility to the gov and claw back their pathetically low voter base. They are not on the farmers side, they are political wolves

• Like 2

Interesting to hear that the flash point was in the middle of the pile. Only last week I was commenting to friends about how these stacks of rice were analogous to compost heaps, which, for anyone who has ever been involved in composting will know, leads to a fantastic build-up of heat in the centre.

I would suggest that it may well be true that there was no arson involved here, but what it does demonstrate is that a significant proportion of the rice that is hidden from view is already rotten...!

• Like 2

The farmers might be shown only the outside or surrounding areas of the warehouses, or rotten rice could be hidden under good rice. He suggested an independent committee with expert representatives should be set up to inspect the facilities along with farmers, adding that the examinations should be done simultaneously across the country and without advance notice.

Yeah, those rice farmers won't know rice when they see it. They need a Bangkok hiso committee to point them in the right direction.

The farmers might be shown only the outside or surrounding areas of the warehouses, or rotten rice could be hidden under good rice. He suggested an independent committee with expert representatives should be set up to inspect the facilities along with farmers, adding that the examinations should be done simultaneously across the country and without advance notice.

Yeah, those rice farmers won't know rice when they see it. They need a Bangkok hiso committee to point them in the right direction.

Nothing to do with the farmers knowledge of rice but reflects on the zero credibility which those official within the pledging system have engendered and the myriad of lies and deception that this current administration have gone to in a futile attempt to whitewash themselves.

thetic dems politisizing the rice issue yet again. Truth be told its in the dems interest to block payments, to generate hostility to the gov and claw back their pathetically low voter base. They are not on the farmers side, they are political wolves

So Moo, I see you've now moved on from 'thugs' to 'wolves'!

Are you seriously trying to infer that the rice issue is not a political issue? Really? Then explain how the rice fiasco has nothing to do with the imminent collapse of a political party...?!

The Dems have no means available to them to block payments. She came out only two days ago and said the "government" has the money to pay the farmers...so pay them...!! It's that easy...!

If you want to see hostility being generated, look no further than Chalerm...!

And low voter base....? Tell me, just how enormous do you believe the PTP voter base is these days.

You should put some thought into your scribblings before making yourself look foolish ... yet again!

Sorry Moo, I missed your final point about the 'dems' not being on the farmers' side (although I assume you are actually referring to the PDRC). So please enlighten me as to the purpose of the THB 25,000,000 that has so far been collected for dissemination among farmers currently in financial distress...?

So Moo, I see you've now moved on from 'thugs' to 'wolves'!

Are you seriously trying to infer that the rice issue is not a political issue? Really? Then explain how the rice fiasco has nothing to do with the imminent collapse of a political party...?!

The Dems have no means available to them to block payments. She came out only two days ago and said the "government" has the money to pay the farmers...so pay them...!! It's that easy...!

If you want to see hostility being generated, look no further than Chalerm...!

And low voter base....? Tell me, just how enormous do you believe the PTP voter base is these days.

You should put some thought into your scribblings before making yourself look foolish ... yet again!

Hear hear , some people are blind to the truth , GeorgeO, fancy backing a Thaskin Shinawatra outfit , Moo really hasn't studied the past or is in denial bah.gif

• Like 2

You really believe that?

Dems are in their role, to show the damage done by this mad policy. But of course PT and Shin are not so happy that some light is brought to this robbery! Their voters have been cheated, and by those to whom they gave their confidence. But again, usual practise by the Shin clan....rob, cheat, lie, rob, cheat, lie......

Interesting to hear that the flash point was in the middle of the pile. Only last week I was commenting to friends about how these stacks of rice were analogous to compost heaps, which, for anyone who has ever been involved in composting will know, leads to a fantastic build-up of heat in the centre.

I would suggest that it may well be true that there was no arson involved here, but what it does demonstrate is that a significant proportion of the rice that is hidden from view is already rotten...!

Agree totally, and fermenting rice produces alcohol which is highly flammable with a low flashpoint.

Block payments? who is blocking the payments?

The EC said it is up to them to acquire loans from the bank and Suthep has stated that he is not against commercial banks lending the money.

The legality of it though is questionable - lets see if they are clever enough to make the right decision on whether to seek loans from the banks as well as persuading these banks to indulge in the lending of what would be highly risky loans (the depositors may not be so keen on this).

Don't try to palm these gargantuan problems off on Suthep, the PDRC or the EC when they are not stopping them from obtaining loans.

I think that the generated hostility you refer to is somewhat self-inflicted, don't you??

• Like 2

Its funny the lack of thought some red supports display.

The rice scam was political to start with.. it ensured votes it was a popular policy and that made it political. So it was already political and done so by the PTP.

Please think before you type.

• Like 1

Agree totally, and fermenting rice produces alcohol which is highly flammable with a low flashpoint.

....but I thought that the rice wasn't rotten!!! You can't have it both ways.

Perhaps they injected a concentrated yeast solution into the rotten rice - surely if would be far easier to use a match to get rid of the evidence if that was their intention.

All these fires and partial collapses all of a sudden cannot be coincidental!!

555555 That's hilarious. 'Like the rice issue needs to be "politicized". clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif What could BE more inherently political than such a monumental scam perpetrated by a consummately corrupt political party on an economically vulnerable segment of the electorate over the objections of so much opposition in & out of the government? Shin-rouge thinking at its best.

Moonie, I know dogs like digging but humans have an expression 'when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging' - that applies to all you red sheeple and the caretakers too.Time to cut your losses and call it a day. thumbsup.gif .

Don't tell. Let them keep digging.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app