Pattaya police bust Russian ATM 'scammers'

webfact

Pattaya Russian ATM 'Scammers' Busted
By Khaosod English

13922083761392208391l.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police in Pattaya said they have arrested two Russians who used counterfeit cards to steal cash from ATMs.

The two suspects were identified as Mr. Dennis Gonsarov, 27, and Mr. Ilya Angriv, 26 (both names are transcribed from Thai texts).

In the press conference, the police displayed 202 counterfeit ATM cards and a card skimming device allegedly used by the two suspects. The police added that they have confiscated 18,000 baht from Mr. Gonsarov and Mr. Angriv.

They were charged with electronic cards forgery.

According to the police, officers in Pattaya have been informed by Kasikorn Bank that two foreigners had been stealing "huge amount" of cash from their ATMs. Detective police eventually arrested the suspects as they were withdrawing cash from an ATM in Banglamung district.

Mr. Gonsarov reportedly told police he had planted skimmer device and small camera on ATMs to copy the victim′s cards and observe their passwords. He also allegedly claimed to have sent "millions" of baht back to his homecountry.

Investigation is ongoing.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qSXdPRE0zTmc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-13

• Like 1

Hard to believe people still fall for this scam. Easy to avoid...use ATM's inside bank branches or directly outside them; examine the machine carefully before using it; cover one hand with the other when entering PIN; activate SMS banking alerts for account activity.

Easy really.

I have a tin-foil wrapped inside my sleeve that holds my ATM card, this I picked up in Canada's driver licensing office, Canadian's use their Enhanced Drivers License , the license contains a CHIP that id the card holder while showing this as one passes with a vehicle through the boarder crossing scale. I was told your ATM if it has the latest chip technology contains your information and Pin Number, using this sleeve with foil inside will NOT allow portable SKIMMERS that thieves use while walking close to you!

I also us SMS notification on use....

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in non standard giant fonts thank you

I don't think it should be up to us people if the card gets cloned after all the card is the company if the bank as stated on the back if the card and also the ATM machine is owned by the back they should do random checks of there machines to make sure this doesn't happen.

Thai banks should do lots of things but generally they don't if they can possibly just pass the buck on to someone else (like the customer). Other businesses here do the same.

Consumer protection barely exists in Thailand.

• Like 1

Hard to believe people still fall for this scam. Easy to avoid...use ATM's inside bank branches or directly outside them; examine the machine carefully before using it; cover one hand with the other when entering PIN; activate SMS banking alerts for account activity.

Easy really.

I don't think it should be up to us people if the card gets cloned after all the card is the company if the bank as stated on the back if the card and also the ATM machine is owned by the back they should do random checks of there machines to make sure this doesn't happen. Yet if ur unluckily enough to be a victim it's gonna be a whole house of pain and plenty of back and forth to get ur own money back.

Best thing nowadays is 2 accounts one without a ATM attached and one with and just transfer small money over as needed

ATM cards are offered as a convience...one is free to have one or not. Like everything in life, there are costs and benefits that must be weighed. I would imagine most banks do check their machined regularly, especially the ones at branches. However, they can hardly be responsible for the thousands of free standing ones throughout the country.

If one is robbed of cash by any method, it's difficult to get the money back.

Easy really.

I have a tin-foil wrapped inside my sleeve that holds my ATM card, this I picked up in Canada's driver licensing office, Canadian's use their Enhanced Drivers License , the license contains a CHIP that id the card holder while showing this as one passes with a vehicle through the boarder crossing scale. I was told your ATM if it has the latest chip technology contains your information and Pin Number, using this sleeve with foil inside will NOT allow portable SKIMMERS that thieves use while walking close to you!

I also us SMS notification on use....

Matches your tinfoil hat I'm sure.

• Like 1

Excellent Work by the "Pattaya Police"

These cheating thieves (of any Nations).... who steal peoples "hard earned" money

should be locked up....fed rice only ......and have the keys thrown away

(and make them show their faces....)

Good idea, maybe pass it on to Yingluck, she needs somebody to consume the piles of decaying rice.

Maybe the prison service could handle it?

• Like 2

"He also allegedly claimed to have sent "millions" of baht back to his homecountry"

how is the money sent back?

Through Kasikorn bank. If they were skimming that much, how come they only had 18,000 when the Bib picked them up...oh.

What, risk the ire of the TV posters who become indignant when anyone carries more than the cost of a can of Leo on their person?

Seriously though, you're right, if the report is accurate they should be carrying all the money they've ever stolen with them, regardless of the fact that the report has stated that the millions had been sent out of the country.

• Like 1

Excellent Work by the "Pattaya Police"

These cheating thieves (of any Nations).... who steal peoples "hard earned" money

should be locked up....fed rice only ......and have the keys thrown away

(and make them show their faces....)

I agree with DD13 but what do you expect from these Russian scum, when they pulled the wall down they spread like a virus world wide.
Fng Reagan...

Would foreigners get a work permit when building a "Gulag" in Thailand, they could build the train tracks for the high speed trains?

And of course the first who'll make a test drive on same trains with Yingluck and her older brother as the driver.-w00t.gif