A Dry Valentine's Day?

uptheos

I guess Valentine's Day will be alcohol free (officially).

I noticed that UN Irish Pub has put out a notice and that's usually a good indication.

In observance of Makha Bucha Day

We will be closed on Friday the 14th of February

You'all have to get the princess tipsy at home. wink.png

Aint life a bitch?

• Like 2

We booked at our favourite restaurant and bought a bottle of nice wine. I know there will be folks telling me I'm an alcoholic because I can't enjoy dinner without wine. I'm really pissed off about this.

What.......Macha Bucha Day or Folks telling you.............?

We booked at our favourite restaurant and bought a bottle of nice wine. I know there will be folks telling me I'm an alcoholic because I can't enjoy dinner without wine. I'm really pissed off about this.

Yes, I must work on my grammer xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.W9oTakjBs5.webp. I'm pissed off because of all these government imposed dry days falling on weekends, especially in the past month. Fark!!!!

No point, it's Buddha day, so you won't be getting a shag.

Well, not from your half Chinese, hi-so, educated gf/wife anyway.

You know what was the best part about being with the white Chinese Thai girls was? Because they were educated they didn't believe in ghosts, superstition, and the general bullshit that has been paraded around as Buddhism.

Yes, I must work on my grammer xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.W9oTakjBs5.webp. I'm pissed off because of all these government imposed dry days falling on weekends, especially in the past month. Fark!!!!

Seems you also need to work on your skills at reading a calendar as the 14th is a Friday ......................

Good to see that you are getting into the spirit:

"The spiritual aims of the day are: not to commit any kind of sins; do only good; purify one's mind. "

Seems you also need to work on your skills at reading a calendar as the 14th is a Friday ......................

End of the week, so it is the start of weekend. So please get with it or I will be forced to post a youtube link to Rebecca Black friday, you will need a drink after that.blink.png

Edited by daoyai

I witnessed one result of the alcohol ban; the restaurant in which I usually have lunch most days was virtually empty today, with just other three tables occupied, two of them by single men. This place usually has 15-20 tables of groups or couples going at noon, with replacements happening at least every 30-45 minutes or so. Not today.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I was in a pub tonight that was serving beer in coffee mugs to people sat outside, but in a glass if they were inside. A middle aged guy and his wife sat outside, ordered a beer and a soda and the staff poured the beer into a pretty big mug. The guy said he wanted it in a glass like the people inside, and the staff nicely explained that it wasn't possible. He continued moaning away and upsetting the staff, who were pretty busy, and just as the owner walked by he moaned to the waiter 'take them away then!!'. Without saying anything, the owner picked up the man's beer and the lady's drink, deposited them on the bar and walked away. The two customers sat looking at each other for 4 or 5 minutes, realised that no one was interested in them and eventually left. Nowhere else in the vicinity was selling alcohol and I think they knew it. The look on their faces was priceless. The owner may have lost the price of a beer but I don't think the establishment missed out on their company.

• Like 2

Last night was the usual, confused farce! As I drove into Town from Hang Dong I passed by many large high profile brightly lit Thai style restaurants. All were open, all were packed, and all were serving alcohol, you could see the bottles on the tables even from the car! We had dinner at a well known restaurant in town catering for mostly Western type customers (wont name it on here for obvious reasons) and they were quite happily selling wine and beer.

On the other hand, UN Irish chose to close because on previous similar type days they have invariably been swooped upon by the alcohol police!

Interesting as ever!!!

On the other hand, UN Irish chose to close because on previous similar type days they have invariably been swooped upon by the alcohol police!

Interesting as ever!!!

Maybe they have a policy of staying legal and not paying anyone off?

• Like 1

Interesting as ever!!!

Maybe they have a policy of staying legal and not paying anyone off?

I think that's it. Restaurants and bars that pay the expected bribes or have the right connections can flaunt the laws (ever notice that some bars are open past closing time?). It's my understanding that the UN Irish Pub doesn't do that, or at least tries to do as little of it as possible and still remain open.

• Like 1