Govt To Convince Foreign Tourists All Is Well

Lite Beer

The southern part of Thailand (bordering with Malaysia), like Pattani and Yala could be developed for tourists as a reality show survivor. That would be a new attraction and maybe the increased revenue would decrease the violence there. I would suggest Chalerm as the local resident tourism manager. That's about as useful a suggestion as hers stated in the article..

My two French aunts have been here almost a month and have had a wonderful time. Based in Jomtien and they have taken side trips

to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, the river Kwai tour,and various island/temple tours. They are having a fantastic time. For them all is well. As for

my mother she is staying for two months and is loving life. If it were not for the long flight from Canada she would come yearly for

4-6 months to escape the Canadian winters. She was even talking about buying a place here but as she is 80 I was able to talk her

out of that. Reasoning it would be better for her to rent.

All this said maybe (but I doubt it) the government will start appreciating its very best tourists who are here from high season through

low season, through good times and troubled times, spending less than some but more than most. Ex-Patriots should be appreciated

for the steady money they bring into the country, the investment they bring buying condos and houses. etc..etc...

The government should make it easier to these "long term tourists" who add so much to the economy. Maybe Yingluck should

eliminate some of the hoops. End 90 day reporting unless you change living addresses, rubber stamp extensions once you meet criteria,

for marriage visas etc.. wai.gif

• Like 1

My two French aunts have been here almost a month and have had a wonderful time. Based in Jomtien and they have taken side trips

to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, the river Kwai tour,and various island/temple tours. They are having a fantastic time. For them all is well. As for

my mother she is staying for two months and is loving life. If it were not for the long flight from Canada she would come yearly for

4-6 months to escape the Canadian winters. She was even talking about buying a place here but as she is 80 I was able to talk her

out of that. Reasoning it would be better for her to rent.

All this said maybe (but I doubt it) the government will start appreciating its very best tourists who are here from high season through

low season, through good times and troubled times, spending less than some but more than most. Ex-Patriots should be appreciated

for the steady money they bring into the country, the investment they bring buying condos and houses. etc..etc...

The government should make it easier to these "long term tourists" who add so much to the economy. Maybe Yingluck should

eliminate some of the hoops. End 90 day reporting unless you change living addresses, rubber stamp extensions once you meet criteria,

for marriage visas etc.. wai.gif

That's nice - and yes, it would be good to see a more sensible approach to administering long term foreign "guests".

The other side of the coin. I spoke earlier to a conference organizer in London who partner with the UN. They arranged 3 very good conferences in the last 12 months in Bangkok. The last one was late November at the UN HQ Conference center. Delegates had to get through the protesters (all good nature and friendly though) and travel to and from was very difficult.

They are planning the next conference and after speaking to many potential delegates may well move to KL or Singapore. Government organizations, NGO's and companies are not keen on sending people to Thailand. Rightly or wrongly, that's their call.

Last week I attended a 2 day conference. Attendance was down considerably on the previous one and several speakers failed to turn up. Not disastrous but nevertheless shows people are nervous and not easily persuaded.

My colleague in HK cancelled coming to the conference as the HK have a black alert out. She was planning some holiday too. She will come for an urgent meeting later this month - fly in very late Friday, meeting Saturday and out Sunday. Wants to stay close to the airport only.

People and other countries will make their own minds up. Plenty of other places becoming more attractive now too. Like with the rice reputation - easily lost but hard to regain.

• Like 1

Tourism 6% of GDP? Sure. Seems more like 25% from how they go on about it. In what country with 6% or less of GDP coming from tourism are there these frequent very high level talks and press reports from Presidents, Premieres, Prime Ministers?

This country STILL relies on tourism as one the topmost important industries. But they can't admit it! FACE?

The second part of your post contradicts the first. You indicate that Tourism gets an inordinate deal of attention and then suggest that Thailand cannot acknowledge it's importance. In any case you are badly misinformed if you do not understand that 6% of a nation's GDP makes an industry a highly weighted amount and merits a great deal of attention. Sober up smile.png Edited by techboy

Yingluck.. cancel the State of Emergency .. then the tourists will actually be able to get insurance and come to Thailand. I have been told that the Philippines has actually BANNED all travel to Thailand due to the Emergency decree!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

farang are fool but not that much.....we all know abroad what is thailand like

on a first course: problem with human rights aplication

on a second course: problem with democracy

on a third course: a very big problem with coruption

and for desert : again... a politic chaos

who use to say :to get a customer it take very long time,.....to keep him even longer,....but to loose him it it take only a second.

they think the schicken of golden eggs never die, but as everything it will...doesn't matter what you are going to say.

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

When I flew into BKK last week, the 777 had about 30 passengers.

But down here in Phuket, my little hotels are still full every night, (albeit a number of Chinese have cancelled and their bookings rapidly replaced by others). Nai Yang beach is busy with (mainly) Russians - it looks to be business as usual.

Simon

Edited by simon43

When I flew into BKK last week, the 777 had about 30 passengers.

But down here in Phuket, my little hotels are still full every night, (albeit a number of Chinese have cancelled and their bookings rapidly replaced by others). Nai Yang beach is busy with (mainly) Riussians - it looks to be business as usual.

Simon

well you need a bigger truck then cause Russians are certainly not gonna fit in the back of an old Isuzu.

(inside joke - motoring forum - press alt +control+delete) to hide.

It would appear that this woman and her government are truly certifiable.

The civil war in the south, the ongoing protest in Bangkok , the nightly shootings and bombings in the capital, the revolt by the rice farmers, the bankruptcy of the civil administration, the ineptitude and idiocy of CAPO, Chalerm on the medicine , Tarit on the rant, the army in the background, the police nowhere to be seen. All these issues have to be put on the back burner whilst we concentrate on fleecing tourist in this happy and trouble free land/

It would appear that this woman and her government are truly certifiable.

The civil war in the south, the ongoing protest in Bangkok , the nightly shootings and bombings in the capital, the revolt by the rice farmers, the bankruptcy of the civil administration, the ineptitude and idiocy of CAPO, Chalerm on the medicine , Tarit on the rant, the army in the background, the police nowhere to be seen. All these issues have to be put on the back burner whilst we concentrate on fleecing tourist in this happy and trouble free land/

post-86291-0-78052900-1392371662.jpg