Thai to English with Romanized Transcription

luciomcamargo

I don't know if anyone here has this issue, but I find it extremely annoying that all the thai dictionary apps I download only show me the answers in thai script. I can't read thai script just yet, so it would be very useful to have a handy app that shows the thai words in a romanized transcription. I have a windows phone and the only app I've found so far was this one Thai Language App (English Transcription)

It seems to be in a beta phase, requiring an internet connection to work, but still, it has been extremely useful to me. I'm very much a visual learner so I need to see the written word for me to be able to memorize it. Has anyone tried this app? Are there any other ones with the romanized script for windows phone? Well, at least in my case it has helped a great deal to be able look up words quickly and know how to pronounce them.

Edited by luciomcamargo

Yeah I have a windows phone, so android apps aren't very useful. The google translate gives some really weird results sometimes, like "family" is KropKrua but it gives me Khrxbkhrạw ?!

I realize that transcriptions will always be a little inaccurate, but one shouldn't be obliged to learn a new writing system to learn a new language. Many times I find when I ask thais how do you say this word, they'll give me a very clear answer that can easily be transcribed. I know a lot more foreigners here who are able to speak thai, but haven't a clue how to write it, so an app like that would be useful to expand ones vocabulary, without taking a month off studying to learn a new writing system.

Sorry for the mate who got the virus warning, I don't know why, maybe I put the link to the american store, I replaced it with the thai one. But I guess when you open it on the windows phone it should install.

Edited by luciomcamargo

I wouldn't trust Google Tanslate myself and most of the Thai to English dictionaries are for people who can read Thai. I use www.thai2english.com

It works both ways (TH-EN & EN-TH) but needs to have an internet connection. It gives all of the definitions of the words so you don't use the wrong one.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust Google Tanslate myself and most of the Thai to English dictionaries are for people who can read Thai. I use www.thai2english.com

It works both ways (TH-EN & EN-TH) but needs to have an internet connection. It gives all of the definitions of the words so you don't use the wrong one.

Google translate android app is surprisingly good.

And can speak the words in Thai if you have a data connection.