Residency

I just wonder how important the "language" test really is, when one applies for the residency. An Italian neighbour - unable to speak even an understandable Sawadthikhrap - told the officer at the beginning of the test this simple fact (in a very broken English.) A language test was simply not possible!

This very nice Italian man was working in Thailand for several years as head of a Multi and is also married to a Thai woman. Last year he received the residency!!!! It seems that other criterias than the Thai language are much more important to get the residency.

WC

I just wonder how important the "language" test really is, when one applies for the residency. An Italian neighbour - unable to speak even an understandable Sawadthikhrap - told the officer at the beginning of the test this simple fact (in a very broken English.) A language test was simply not possible!

This very nice Italian man was working in Thailand for several years as head of a Multi and is also married to a Thai woman. Last year he received the residency!!!! It seems that other criterias than the Thai language are much more important to get the residency.

WC

Five options here...head up a multi...marry a Thai....pay your way through or learn a little Thai...or continue to exist on annual extensions. :o

WC

He may have received Residency but I can hardly imagine a sadder existence - living in a Country for several years, married to a Thai woman and unable - uninterested - to learn even the basics of the language?

I guess he was lucky in getting that particular Officer for his interview - personally I would have applauded if he had been contemptuously rejected.

WC

He may have received Residency but I can hardly imagine a sadder existence - living in a Country for several years, married to a Thai woman and unable - uninterested - to learn even the basics of the language?

I guess he was lucky in getting that particular Officer for his interview - personally I would have applauded if he had been contemptuously rejected.

Sad life on his part maybe, but he's probably paying a heap of tax which no doubt 'helped' his application. As always in Thailand, cash is the key... :o

Cheers