Flight plus hotel combo. CM to Vientienne. Best deal.

RecklessRon

Okay I know this topic has been done to death but I've just spent over an hour getting nowhere searching this site and the net. I didn't find anything close to reasonable that matches my requirements, $US1,000 was the best I could find and that's ridiculous, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

As a single adult male I want to:

1). Fly to Vientienne from CM in mid-March.

2). Never get on a bus, except to and from CM or Vientienne airports, or cross a bridge (ie: nothing to Udon Thani).

3). Stay at a reasonably priced place with western plumbing, hot water and air con as close to the embassy as possible.

I can leave any time and any day before March 15th and come back as soon as possible - allowing an extra day for anything that might go wrong. Plus I can travel and return any day of the week - whatever is cheapest, including both airfare and accommodation.

Referrals to travel agents are fine if their price is reasonable.

Also I would be interested in any kind of 'they do everything for you' deal that isn't unreasonably expensive.

Lastly, if there is another place I could fly to and from (must not have any cross-border or long distance travel by bus, train, etc.) that is less expensive I could be convinced to try it.

Thanks, eh!

Funny you should mention that. I was in a travel agent yesterday with my son while he booked a flight to Bangkok I asked just out of curiosity and with out looking it up or me giving him any dates he said 8,000 to 9,000 baht. the price was similar for [Lom Pra bhong]. Sorry about the spelling. I was just curious as I was thinking of a three day holiday and I have been told by friends that both are really nice but Three days would see every thing. I would make it 4 days and stretch it out.

I would then do as the previous poster advised or check Agoda.

Maybe I am missing something but I think most people would fly to Udon Thani with Nok Air then take the van to the border (45 minute ride.) I've been told that the lowest hotel rates with Agoda can be booked just before you plan to arrive, so the day before.

Edited by roger1999
  • Like 2

Maybe I am missing something but I think most people would fly to Udon Thani with Nok Air then take the van to the border (45 minute ride.) I've been told that the lowest hotel rates with Agoda can be booked just before you plan to arrive, so the day before.

Your not missing anything. We all do it the same way. This is the only way cheaper than the prices OP mentions. Take it or leave it. Job.... End of.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

It's the flights that are ridiculously expensive for the time and distance involved. Hotels are reasonably priced.

Have a look at www.tripadvisor.com for flights and hotels.

You'll have to book them separately but, they guarantee to beat competitors prices.

Crossing the border is what kicks the price up. International flights out of Thailand are always more expensive than domestic.

"$US1,000 was the best I could find and that's ridiculous…" No kidding!

Lao Airlines (booking office on the ground floor of Nakornping Condo, across from the Shell station on Huay Kaew Road) advertises an on-line roundtrip for less than half that price. For example, I queried Chiang Mai to Vientiane (via Luang Prabang) departing Monday, March 10, and returning Friday, March 15, and got a r/t total of $377. You should take a look at https://www.laoairlines.com.

As other have pointed out, for half that price you can fly Nok to Udon and back, using the comfortable vans shuttling between the airport and the Lao border. Very easy; I did it myself last month.

In Vientiane (although nowhere near the Thai consulate) I highly recommend the Douang Deaune (http://www.agoda.com/douang-deuane-hotel/hotel/vientiane-la.html?type=1&site_id=1410012&url=http://www.agoda.com/douang-deuane-hotel/hotel/vientiane-la.html&tag=697A254D-C129-4C9E-8D23-69C51CBFC5C9&adid=35098304343&network=g&adpos=1t1&expid=&rand=15086179471102388888&device=c&gclid=CK7ekozKz7wCFQ6o4god0h4A-w&cklg=1) where I have stayed many times for $23 a night.

E-mail me if you want more information…

Edited by mgbcnx
  • Like 1

Okay so my wallet is telling me I'll have to suck it up and forget flying.

Can anyone tell me:

1). How to close a topic?

2). Alternatives to Mae Sai for a visa run from CM? (I've done the Mae Sai run by motorbike 3 times in a row).

added:

3). When leaving Mae Sai and walking across the border: Instead of entering Myanmar what would happen if you just cross the road and come straight back into Thailand? You'll already have the exit stamp from Thailand so... it would save the 500 B fee to enter Myanmar when you're just going to immediately turn around and leave, eh!

Edited by RecklessRon

Okay so my wallet is telling me I'll have to suck it up and forget flying.

Can anyone tell me:

1). How to close a topic?

2). Alternatives to Mae Sai for a visa run from CM? (I've done the Mae Sai run by motorbike 3 times in a row).

added:

3). When leaving Mae Sai and walking across the border: Instead of entering Myanmar what would happen if you just cross the road and come straight back into Thailand? You'll already have the exit stamp from Thailand so... it would save the 500 B fee to enter Myanmar when you're just going to immediately turn around and leave, eh!

1. lower left hand corner, says 'report' click on and ask.

2. For a border hop next closes is Mae Sot. About 360 km sw of Chiang Mai. GPS 16.691108, 98.518502

3. Illegal and Thai immigration takes a dim view of it.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll go to Mae Sot by bike this trip. I printed out an online route map and it turns out it is about 433 km via the roads (not straight line). Theoretically I could do this in 1 day but I suspect I'll stop overnight somewhere.

Does anyone know if there are currently any problems with doing a border run to Mae Sot to get a 30 day visa?

Seems like I can repeatedly do 3 Mae Sai runs and then 1 Mae Sot run... (I've heard that would cancel the 4th consecutive border run problem)?

Also... just for arguments sake: Once you are stamped out of Thailand and set foot into Myanmar it is not Thailand's business where or what you do. Turning around and entering again may be frowned upon but I can't see how it would be illegal in Thailand due to jurisdiction regulations. The fact you are in Myanmar without getting a visa stamp and then leave without getting a visa stamp should be something that only Myanmar would be concerned with and have jurisdiction over - and they won't even know... just saying, eh!

A visa is more or less permission to travel to a country, not to enter. When you present at a border or airport the immigration officer has to clear you. You can be refused entry even with a visa. A visa is not a walk up start to enter a country. I would suggest that not being fluent in Thai, being on the wrong side of the border, having no visa (long stay or otherwise for Burma), having limited funds actually on you, entering Thailand without a visa showing that you have entered Burma, what chattels you have remaining in Thailand, etc etc that playing funny buggers to an Immigration Officer would not be the best of ideas.

Screwing around at airports and border crossings is not worthwhile. Even IF you win, a probably loss and the resultant very real dramas are not worth it.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

Also... just for arguments sake: Once you are stamped out of Thailand and set foot into Myanmar it is not Thailand's business where or what you do. Turning around and entering again may be frowned upon but I can't see how it would be illegal in Thailand due to jurisdiction regulations. The fact you are in Myanmar without getting a visa stamp and then leave without getting a visa stamp should be something that only Myanmar would be concerned with and have jurisdiction over - and they won't even know... just saying, eh!

Go ahead and try it. If possible, let us know how it goes.

Edited by mesquite

The last time I was in Mae Sai (a few weeks ago) there was a very confused tourist (perhaps a Russian lady) who was obviously doing the visa run for the first time. She exited Thailand and tried to re-enter without going to Myanmar. Thai Immigration told her she had to enter Myanmar first, then come back.

• Like 1

The last time I was in Mae Sai (a few weeks ago) there was a very confused tourist (perhaps a Russian lady) who was obviously doing the visa run for the first time. She exited Thailand and tried to re-enter without going to Myanmar. Thai Immigration told her she had to enter Myanmar first, then come back.

I have seen the same thing happen. I too wondered about doing that but Thai Immigration said that if you do not have an entry and exit stamp from another country, then theoretically you have not left Thailand.

In hindsight I can understand that logic even tho you have an exit stamp from Thailand.

As has been said....the Immigration authorities are the last people that I would want to upset. Trying to save a few baht (Or being a cheap charlie) could trigger them to check on your financial standing, which by the sounds of it would not be in the OPs best interest giggle.gif

I have seen the same thing happen. I too wondered about doing that but Thai Immigration said that if you do not have an entry and exit stamp from another country, then theoretically you have not left Thailand.

In hindsight I can understand that logic even tho you have an exit stamp from Thailand.

As has been said....the Immigration authorities are the last people that I would want to upset. Trying to save a few baht (Or being a cheap charlie) could trigger them to check on your financial standing, which by the sounds of it would not be in the OPs best interest giggle.gif

Sounds can be deceiving. I am retired and may live another 40 years. If so I don't have any money to waste. On the other hand if I only live 20 more years I have plenty of money, so any check of my finances today is fine.thumbsup.gif