Khao Lak to Ranong

ripper15

I am interested in this area as I will be retiring to Thailand this year. I have been searching for some time now for information with little results. Tried to find blogs of people living in the area with no luck. I have seen several travel links and videos and visa run information but nothing by people actually living there. I have several other folks who are interested in this area also waiting to see what I come up with. If anyone who lives in this area would post some information or links of up to date information,I would greatly appreciate it.

Need information on weather, housing,relations with locals, medical facilities, shopping things to do and see, etc.,etc. We are a group of folks who are not looking for nightlife as in girly bars etc. Just want a normal lifestyle as we are pretty self-reliant types who appreciate a laid back life style and can entertain ourselves. Riding scooters to do shopping etc., not a problem. Do not need a lot of farang interaction. I spent time in Patong Beach back in the early 80's on and off ( worked in the middle east) before electricity(except generators in the evening) and development and loved it. Visited Pattaya once during this time frame and other than good seafood at the beach restaurants did not care for it. Personal preference so please no snide comments or debates about Pattaya. Leave it for other threads.

I prefer nice bungalows to hotels and definitely not interested in any hi-so resorts or the like. Would prefer an area that is not likely to be overly developed in the next ten years. Ko Phayam really interests me but would not want to live there full time for many reasons.So looking for mainland side information. Having to travel to Chumpon of Phuket occasionally for hard to find items as needed not a bother. I love riding the roads and exploring out of the way places.

Got to wonder if there is so little info because the people already there don't want to shine a light on a good thing and spoil it. LOL If you don't want to put up info here, please feel free to PM me. I speak some Thai and plan to have the alphabet down before arriving and hope to become fluent after moving there. I never had a problem back when getting what I needed but was not conversational, so this is not a concern for me.Thais say I have a southern accent. Have been to Chaing Mai and Bangkok also. Liked northern Thailand but am a beach bum at heart. Chaing Mai way to big now and Chaing Rai and Nan look good. But the beach calls. All the people I knew from my time there have either passed on or left Thailand. So I would really like to hear from people actually living in this area long term. Help!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised there has not been much response on this, knowing there are a few TV members that live in this area, although not many use this part of the Thai Visa forum... that I have noticed.

I and a few others will be making a trip through this area in a week or two, as a round trip, so will be able to give a better assessment and opinion after doing this. Although visiting a place for a few days is not the same as living there, the best advice to the OP is to try out a few places before making a final opinion about whether it suit him as far a living in any of these places ...... Different strokes for different folks....

Reports I have heard have been fairly positive, but will be able to give a better review after visiting the area.... I have been to Khoa Lak, too, it a beautiful area, but not sure I would want to live there... It really comes down to personal interests and what sort of life style one wants. Koh Phayham seems to be the "new hot spot" for tourists, just reading about it and know some people who have been there recently, but again, maybe just good for a holiday and getting away from the maddening crowds! It might be a little desolate during the non tourist seasons... (?)

• Like 1

Not sure why this topic is in the Southern Forum. Khao Lak is in the Krabi Forum area. Moving this topic, leaving link in Southern.

Since I am a new poster, I put it here as I didn't know where to exactly put it. Since Khao Lak is north of Phuket, I don't even think about it being in the Krabi area. I think of this area as not really part of the Phuket area either, so that left Southern as a general guess. I will look further for a Ranong thread. Sorry.

I am surprised there has not been much response on this, knowing there are a few TV members that live in this area, although not many use this part of the Thai Visa forum... that I have noticed.

I and a few others will be making a trip through this area in a week or two, as a round trip, so will be able to give a better assessment and opinion after doing this. Although visiting a place for a few days is not the same as living there, the best advice to the OP is to try out a few places before making a final opinion about whether it suit him as far a living in any of these places ...... Different strokes for different folks....

Reports I have heard have been fairly positive, but will be able to give a better review after visiting the area.... I have been to Khoa Lak, too, it a beautiful area, but not sure I would want to live there... It really comes down to personal interests and what sort of life style one wants. Koh Phayham seems to be the "new hot spot" for tourists, just reading about it and know some people who have been there recently, but again, maybe just good for a holiday and getting away from the maddening crowds! It might be a little desolate during the non tourist seasons... (?)

Thanks for your reply. One of my friends visited the Khao Lak area last year and was very impressed by it. Like I said, the quite, non touristy areas are what we are interested in. As long as there is the availability of any shopping needs other than day to day needs being met within a couple of hours drive, we would be just fine. I am an old country boy and very self sufficient and dislike noisy locales, exhaust fumes and the hustle and bustle of towns other than an occasional visit. Look forward to hearing about your trip and thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you samuijimmy, for the link. Looking forward to your experience. Guess I have time to look for more info as the VA doc has said that I have a rotor cuff injury in my right shoulder and I start physical therapy next week. Always something. Maybe they will have sorted out a new government by the time I get there later this year. 5

• Like 1

Hi Ripper15,

I'm now living in Ranong (since last July) after 23 years in Phuket.

The province is a great place to retire as there is very few tourists, a lot of unspoiled places to visit with nature still untouched; I am truly enjoying being here now.

• Like 2

Hi Ripper15,

I'm now living in Ranong (since last July) after 23 years in Phuket.

The province is a great place to retire as there is very few tourists, a lot of unspoiled places to visit with nature still untouched; I am truly enjoying being here now.

ad61, thanks for posting. So can you expound on your experience of life in Ranong. Any and all info will be appreciated. Do you mind if I ask your nationality? I am also concerned about the rainy season as they say this area gets the highest rainfall in Thailand., I don't mind the frequent shower types or even a day or two but get cabin fever if longer than that. Heard today listening to news about the missing plane and an Indian official was saying that the monsoon season in the Andaman Sea was changing its pattern and moving into earlier months. Are the seas getting rougher for longer periods? I have a million questions but will settle for what you feel like sharing.

Edited by ripper15

I'm from Switzerland (french speaking part) but has been living in Thailand for more than half my life long.

It is true that Ranong province is in one of the wettest area of the country but Kao Lak and Takuapa (Pang Nga province) are even receiving even higher annual rainfall; as I'm typing, the latest drop of rain we got was on the 4th of December and it should be like that till the middle of next month; then we can expect rain on daily routine almost any day and any time until November but not always for long periods, it can rain for an hour or two then disappear and come again in the evening and so on; July and October are usually the month with the heaviest rainfall with sometimes, several days of non stop rain.

Speaking about rough sea, the whole southern part of the Andaman sea, from Trang, Krabi to Phuket, Kao Lak and Ranong will be the same during the monsoon season so...

I'm posting a few pictures of stunning places I have been when mountain biking in the area (I am an avid mtbiker) where I live just to show you why I love this place

post-70768-1395029205144_thumb.jpgpost-70768-13950292712682_thumb.jpgpost-70768-13950294448121_thumb.jpgpost-70768-13950295397646_thumb.jpgpost-70768-13950296016209_thumb.jpg

post-70768-13950293410298_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

ad61,thanks for the info and pics. Do you live in the city of Ranong? Would you be kind enough to let me know what the cost of housing for a one or two bedroom house is. Nothing fancy, just clean and dry. Is the internet there reliable? Are there any decent apartments in the area? Do you find shopping for everyday items convenient in the area? I believe I saw a Tesco south of town. How is the medical care situation, locally? Are there many farangs in the area? If you get tired of my questions just say so, but you are the first person that I have come across who actually lives there and I am grateful for your answering. I have been thru thaivisa back to 2005 post without any luck. And people just passing thru on visa runs or a couple of weeks on the islands are not going to have the information I am seeking. I do appreciate your answering this post.

facepalm.gif had to read your post twice Ripper, about the rain!!

Hoping to leave for the area on Thursday.... just for a few days round trip from Samui, rain would not be good! smile.png

I know there is another TV member that lives in the area, guess he does not read the Krabi forum!

Great images! ^thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

ripper15, I live 20km away from Ranong town, up in the mountains, a place called La-Un, in the middle of fruits orchards, oil palms an rubber plantation; it takes me 20 min. drive by car or 50 minutes by bike to go down to Tesco, the only supermarket where you find almost all what a foreigner need (in term of food) to be happy. You can drive one more hour and you are in Chumpoon,a city bigger than Ranong with a greater choice of supermarket.

I believe that there is around 20/25 foreigner living in the area, most of them are in town; my closest foreign neighbour is from Uk, he live 10 km from my house and as been living here since 6 to 7 years

The medical facilities are not really up to European standard; for serious cases the local hospital will send you to Chumpoon or Surat Thani hospitals which are better equipped.

For the cost of a simple two bedrooms house, I will have to ask my wife, do you mean for rent or to buy? apartments are a bit difficult to find here.

Cheers!

• Like 1

ad61 Thanks again for your answers,and thank your wife for me. I owe you both a meal someday. wai2.gif

I mean to rent initially until I am familiar with the area and know where I would like to settle.

Edited by ripper15

• 2 weeks later...

I did a long report this morning, about the trip and before going to post in flew into cyber space bah.gif ...w00t.gif

In short it's a lovely area, as are many parts of Thailand.... same same but slightly different! thumbsup.gif

Make stops along the ways to some of the beaches off the main road... also some of the other attractions....

The road is good and a pleasant enough drive, not a lot of traffic any where!

Sign posts are useful.....

IMG_2179.CR2.jpg

It's been very dry in the area, for months... on mountain near Khura Buri has been burning for over a week.... evidence of many other smaller fires, along the hwy.

IMG_3718.JPG

More images in the photo forum! wink.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the report Samuijimmy. Sorry you lost the report, I've had that experience myself and it is aggravating. I heard that it has been very dry for sometime. El Nino? Climate change? Who knows. Hope the get some rain soon and put the fires out. Will go check out the photos. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1