1 dead 6 injured in Pattaya Highway crash

Rimmer

Yes, and it also demonstrates the poor design of the roads here. U-turns everywhere, and many without even a turning lane, so you have a line of stopped traffic in the fast lane, Great Idea!

As for this accident, we will never know who was really at fault, the cement truck driver, not giving a turn signal, maybe no lights at all; or the pick up driver, that wasnt looking where he was going, and maybe speeding.

Speed was obviously a major factor.

Perhaps also faulty break lights on the truck.

Many locals seem to have no idea how dangerous the conditions and other users are here on the roads. The result: Thailand is number 3 in the World for fatal accidents, and I cannot foresee them improving their driving any time soon. sad.png

Go slow, go safe, and make sure everyone in the vehicle has their seatbelt on before you start the engine.

I've driven most places in Thailand except for the South. It would be most unusual not to have a slip road for a U turn. Sometimes they are a bit short but

there is slip most times.

I don't believe Thai drivers, drive particularly fast. Keeping to 100/110kph on main highway and it will not often anyone will try to pass.

My experience has been directly the opposite, at least on the highways between pattaya and Bangkok. If I'm driving at those speeds, then 90% of the car traffic would be wizzing past me and 50% of the trucks.

• Like 2

Fakename hit the nail on head, U-turn lanes in the fast lane or even next to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Popular misconception, it is not the fast lane, it is the overtaking lane.

Just trying to get across the concept of 'slow on the left', but now you set us back, as overtaking lane is undefined.

On highways, isn't the overtaking lane always the lane farthest on the right? If it's a two-lane carriage way then it's the right lane. I've been taught in Thailand that this right lane is for passing slower vehicles only. This was a surprise to me because in the USA, we don't have this concept. All lanes are considered just regular one to be used by all vehicles for normal driving.

In theory maybe, but on a 3 lane highway, ie #7 from Bangkok to Chonburi, you will find yourself overtaken more frequently on the left than right.

I drove this road on friday coming the other way,absolute madness of some drivers speeding excessivley,weaving in and out of traffic,one came past me at i would estimate 120kmh + and missed me by inches as he cut in front,i always stay in the middle lane if 3 lanes which i recall it is on some stretches,sit about 90kmh,and maintain a good distance from what,s ahead,having said that when i was in the left lane a bus just stopped for no reason,the truck behind me had to swerve out,only by his quick reactions was i not smashed between him and the bus,i gave the bus a good hard blast on the horn,but i doubt he even realised he almost caused a multi vehicle pile up, don't think i will do any more long trips for a while it is just too nervewracking.

• Like 1

All lanes are fast (and equally dangerous) lanes.....

No, they are not, I am sure even you can see that, surely.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you saying that you have never seen anyone here passing another vehicle at high speed on the inside?

this makes any kind of acceptable lane discipline a joke. And consequently means that whatever lane you wish to drive faster in is fine. It isn't fine of course.

My post was intended to be tongue in cheek, relating to Thai driving habits.

And yes a tragic fatality, lets not forget that

Edited by imaderbyfan
  • Like 1

Good sentiments and please do not think I am in any way undermining your posting, but, there was the driver and a further six people in the pickup who were injured. Maybe there were even more passengers that luckily were not injured -- my Isuzu 4 door had only four seatbelts. If this was a kingcab, the likelihood was that it only had two seat belts fitted, one to each front seat.....

I've just had another look at the photo and see that this was a 4 door Isuzu G Max, so probably only four seatbelts for the seven ( plus ) occupants. If this vehicle was insured, by over-loading the vehicle with passengers the insurance company may well refuse to pay anything should a claim be made.

There are two types of insurance you can have for a pickup, one is classed as a sedan type vehicle (usually for 4 door pickups and covers 5 people) the other is for 2 door pickups where 13 people are covered by the insurance.

Why cant Thai drivers just learn to speed down and keep a distance to other vehicles ? This is a normal behaviour in most countries and they teach you to drive safely at the driving schools. But here there is no such thing as safety , buddha will protect you anyway so don't worry....

Edited by balo

This " Buddha will protect you" thing, I've never heard the missus say this. Just wandering is it a farang thing?

If that's the case, why all the Buddhist amulets hanging from the mirror and dash airs that look like mini-temples, stuffed with all manner of Buddha statues and "lucky charms" from various temples and monks? Like many in the West hanging crosses from their mirrors, are all these items purely decorative? Or all they meant to convey some sort of protection to he car and/or its occupants?

The locals don't regard the right hand lane as either a fast lane or an overtaking lane. They drive fast and overtake in every lane. The significance of the right hand lane is that it's The Only Lane Worth Being In. How many times have you seen them overtake on the left before barging out into the right lane again. If you're not in the right hand lane you're not a real man. 100kph also seems to be considered a minimum speed. I rarely drive in this country any more. The crash reported here is just the inevitable result of the driving attitudes.

This " Buddha will protect you" thing, I've never heard the missus say this. Just wandering is it a farang thing?

If that's the case, why all the Buddhist amulets hanging from the mirror and dash airs that look like mini-temples, stuffed with all manner of Buddha statues and "lucky charms" from various temples and monks? Like many in the West hanging crosses from their mirrors, are all these items purely decorative? Or all they meant to convey some sort of protection to he car and/or its occupants?

Good questions. I personally don't believe in any of that. If that's what people want to believe then that's fine.

Do you believe it protects the occupants?

A good driver does that IMO.

Good questions. I personally don't believe in any of that. If that's what people want to believe then that's fine.

Do you believe it protects the occupants?

A good driver does that IMO.

Well that was question...whether Buddha (and his sacred symbols) protects them. And yes, we're talking about what the Thais believe B cause we're talking about Thai drivers.

Empirical evidence suggests these types of religious charms don't work but what do I know, 90% of the world's population seems to think they do.

I rather think Buddhist amulets are in a car to bless it and it's occupants rather than protect in the sense you are referring to.

Fate is very much part of the way of thinking and I don't think anyone expects to radically alter fate but rather up the percentage of having a good fate in this life - or the next.

I rather think Buddhist amulets are in a car to bless it and it's occupants rather than protect in the sense you are referring to.

Fate is very much part of the way of thinking and I don't think anyone expects to radically alter fate but rather up the percentage of having a good fate in this life - or the next.

I have seen such an amount of them blocking the view in some vehicles this is surely part of the cause of some accidents!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good sentiments and please do not think I am in any way undermining your posting, but, there was the driver and a further six people in the pickup who were injured. Maybe there were even more passengers that luckily were not injured -- my Isuzu 4 door had only four seatbelts. If this was a kingcab, the likelihood was that it only had two seat belts fitted, one to each front seat.....

I've just had another look at the photo and see that this was a 4 door Isuzu G Max, so probably only four seatbelts for the seven ( plus ) occupants. If this vehicle was insured, by over-loading the vehicle with passengers the insurance company may well refuse to pay anything should a claim be made.

There are two types of insurance you can have for a pickup, one is classed as a sedan type vehicle (usually for 4 door pickups and covers 5 people) the other is for 2 door pickups where 13 people are covered by the insurance.

There’s some misinformation here.

finnomick, regarding seatbelts. I too have a 4-door Isuzu pickup and it’s fitted with seatbelts for 5 people. There is a lap belt for the center passenger in the back. Either way, you can still get insurance coverage for more passengers than fitted seatbelts.

basmlb, regarding insurance, my pickup is classified as a sedan (white plates), and my first class insurance covers 6 passengers plus the driver. So there are more options than just the two you’ve listed.