computer paper - letter size

Mekong Bob

"Letter-size" is a U.S. convention. Most of the world uses the metric 'A4-B4' sizing. Envelopes match. There are only one or two other countries that still use letter-size.

Most people in the US are completely unaware that this is so, and often are surprised when trying to find envelopes to match returned forms when out of the country.

I brought a few letter-size sheets of paper and envelopes with me when I moved to Asia.

Pretty much the only way you will get 'letter size' paper is to cut down B4 size. Letter size is 8.5x11. A4 size is 8.2x11.5 The only recourse is B4 size and a pair of scissors.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Hum... there are only three countries in the world which have not adopted the Metric System and its International system of Units. They are Burma, Liberia and the United States. However, reports published since 2007 hold this is no longer true of Liberia or Burma...

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

I think this evolution is not reversible so why not use A4?

If you need to use US 'letter size' paper, I'd reccommed ordering a small stationary set; 'paper and envelopes,' on line.

There are times when we NEED to use letter-size for dealing with US situations, and having a small package of it available comes in handy.

However, the reality of it is that because very few Americans even realize there is a difference in size, you can often get away using A4 without them even noticing.

Double A paper, Thailand shows size A11, which is very close to 8.5x11, if not actually that size.

There is a Double A store near CMU on Suthep Road. Or you could contact them on the internet.

Double A paper measures 8.2"x11.5" This becomes more of a problem when trying to use locally purchased envelops with documents sent from the US that don't fit!

Set printer to A4 size, buy A4 paper > problem solved.

I'd guess that the OP isn't having a printer problem. That's easy enough to resolve. But frequently we are asked to submit various documents on 'letter-size' paper, or else we do not want people in the US to know that we are writing from a different country and wish to use the US size paper even though we are not currently in the country. I ran into this same problem in reverse when living in the US and asked by a Japanese university to submit documents on A4 sized paper. At the time, I had no idea what that even was!

Regardless, it's a problem easy enough to solve, with several different solutions offered in this thread. It's not as if the OP needs to build a mass spectrometer with parts locally obtained.

Double A paper, Thailand shows size A11, which is very close to 8.5x11, if not actually that size.

There is a Double A store near CMU on Suthep Road. Or you could contact them on the internet.

Double A paper measures 8.2"x11.5" This becomes more of a problem when trying to use locally purchased envelops with documents sent from the US that don't fit!

I'd guess that the OP isn't having a printer problem. That's easy enough to resolve. But frequently we are asked to submit various documents on 'letter-size' paper, or else we do not want people in the US to know that we are writing from a different country and wish to use the US size paper even though we are not currently in the country. I ran into this same problem in reverse when living in the US and asked by a Japanese university to submit documents on A4 sized paper. At the time, I had no idea what that even was!

Regardless, it's a problem easy enough to solve, with several different solutions offered in this thread. It's not as if the OP needs to build a mass spectrometer with parts locally obtained.

Folkguitar,

I am not talking about A4... did you look at the screen capture? A11 size is 216x279.... That converts to 8.5x10.98.... my guess is Letter size.

I have seen letter size paper in Chiang Mai in the past. CMU students in a Masters or Doctorate program sometimes submit paperwork to colleges or universities in the USA and it has to be on letter size paper.

Double A paper, and many of the others, have many sizes of paper...

• Like 1

Folkguitar,

I am not talking about A4... did you look at the screen capture? A11 size is 216x279.... That converts to 8.5x10.98.... my guess is Letter size.

I have seen letter size paper in Chiang Mai in the past. CMU students in a Masters or Doctorate program sometimes submit paperwork to colleges or universities in the USA and it has to be on letter size paper.

Double A paper, and many of the others, have many sizes of paper...

Nope! I didn't enlarge it so never noticed that! Thanks for the heads-up! I wish I knew about this 10 years ago. It would have come in handy! These days I haven't any need for more, as I still have a small box of Strathmore Bond on the shelf. Do they sell matching envelopes for it as well?

Edited by FolkGuitar