New requirements for wife/partner visa to Australia

I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and now would like to return to Australia to live, I know most requirements for visa/ tourist and partner, have been married for over three years, I wanted to know if money in a Thai bank would be taken into account or if all money must be in an Australian bank, have only a small amount in Australian bank, I went to a visa agent in Pattaya to find out about it and was told all money must be in Australia and I would need $AUD100,000.00 to support my wife's application. I decided to ask at Thai CC House Bangkok the visa application center, they have someone every Thursday to answer question, 2.00pm to 4.00pm, to my surprise the requirements for financial and accommodation information are not required anymore, the only requirements are for a real and true relationship, our marriage documents will cover that as we registered our marriage. The visa agent would know this and just proves they are rip off merchants. His price was 60,000BHT to do the visa for us.

All people that are great with spelling and grammar please refrain from comments on this post about spelling and grammar.

Mate not many if any I know have a lazy 100,000$AU just sitting in their bank account including myself who had no where near that.

I call that out as bs and a sales pitch to scare you....unless some crazy new rule has come out in the last 2 years since we got the visa and then I would like to see it.

Btw, was easy to fill out that paperwork, piece of cake. Try filling it out yourself then if you really find it to hard, employ a service to help.

Edited by krisb

AFAIK, these aren't "new" requirements as there has never been a set criteria

for financials and accommodation before.

As a sponsor, you have always had a requirement to provide accommodation and financial support

for your partner and their family for up to two years following visa grant or first entry into Australia.

This is still the case.

Sponsors have included payslips, group certificates etc, but again, I'm pretty sure that there has never

been any set requirements other than the ones I have just mentioned. So I don't think anything has changed

at all.

The visa agent in Pattaya either is a moron, a rip off artist or both.

Edited by Will27

As a sponsor, you have always had a requirement to provide accommodation and financial support

for your partner and their family for up to two years following visa grant or first entry into Australia.

This is still the case.

Sponsors have included payslips, group certificates etc, but again, I'm pretty sure that there has never

been any set requirements other than the ones I have just mentioned. So I don't think anything has changed

at all.

The immigration officer told me financial was a requirement until recently as was accommodation but is now not a requirement, there has always been a set requirement, please do not say what I have posted is incorrect, this is one of the people that grant the visa that told me, I had a face to face meeting with her, it has only just been changed, I also know what my mate in Australia had to supply for his now wife he had to supply bank statements documents for his house everything to prove he could support her, I did all the documents for his lady and when to the visa place at Thai CC house a few times with his lady that was in 2012, I also did three tourist visa for Thai ladies never used a visa agent, the last one for my wife in November 2012 we when for 19 days, always do my own extension of stay for retirement, only wanted the visa agent to answer two question not get him to do anything. visa is easy for Australia as is all visa in Thai immigration if you can meet the requirements only is difficult if you can not.

This is still the case.

at all.

The immigration officer told me financial was a requirement until recently as was accommodation but is now not a requirement, there has always been a set requirement, please do not say what I have posted is incorrect, this is one of the people that grant the visa that told me, I had a face to face meeting with her, it has only just been changed, I also know what my mate in Australia had to supply for his now wife he had to supply bank statements documents for his house everything to prove he could support her, I did all the documents for his lady and when to the visa place at Thai CC house a few times with his lady that was in 2012, I also did three tourist visa for Thai ladies never used a visa agent, the last one for my wife in November 2012 we when for 19 days, always do my own extension of stay for retirement, only wanted the visa agent to answer two question not get him to do anything. visa is easy for Australia as is all visa in Thai immigration if you can meet the requirements only is difficult if you can not.

As stated previously, the sponsor always had a requirement both financially and for accommodation.

It was just never a "set" amount. For example, there was no income threshold you had to meet.

IMO, nothing has changed. You still have these requirements. You're saying "it has only just changed

and is no longer a requirement". If that is the case, how come this is on the 40SP which is the sponsorship

form for a spouse visa?

"

52 Undertaking

For sponsors of a Prospective Marriage visa applicant:

I agree to accept responsibility for:

all financial obligations to the Commonwealth incurred by my

fiancé(e) arising from their stay in Australia;

And

For sponsors of a Partner visa applicant:

I agree to assist my partner, to the extent necessary:

financially;

in relation to accommodation in the first 2 years immediately

after their Partner visa is granted (if they were granted the visa in

Australia) or their first entry to Australia as a holder of the Partner

visa (if they were granted the visa outside Australia).

Also from the DIAC website:

Sponsor obligations

As a sponsor you must provide accommodation and financial support for your partner and their family for up to two years following visa grant or first entry into Australia including any period they take English language courses (if needed).

So, you're saying, that there are now no financial or accommodation requirements.

Using that scenario, someone who is unemployed and sharing a council house with

5 other can lodge an application and their circumstances wouldn't be taken into account.

Good luck with that one.

I don't know if you have been given incorrect advice or have interpreted

incorrectly, but IMO, nothing has changed at all so the heading is misleading.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

I'm confused.

You need to show some funds, was never 100k, your plan for accom which must be reasonable.

As for having cash in an Aussie bank, probably doesn't matter, as long as you can show funds.

I'm confused.

You need to show some funds, was never 100k, your plan for accom which must be reasonable.

As for having cash in an Aussie bank, probably doesn't matter, as long as you can show funds.That's

That's correct, you used to be able to show either bank account statements, pay slips,

group certificates etc. Basically, if you were working or had some money in the bank

and had a place to live, DIAC would approve it.

The OP is saying "requirements for financial and accommodation information are not required anymore, the only requirements are for a real and true relationship".

I find this hard to believe and have pointed out sponsorship requirements in my previous post taken

directly from the DIAC website.

If it is the case, why hasn't the website and forms been updated?

As above, I think either the OP has been given some wrong information or has misinterpreted

the information.

• Like 2

If you read the sponsor form 40SP its pretty clear what is need, (taken direct from the form)

"You will also need to demonstrate that you will be able to meet your sponsorship obligations as undertaken by you when you complete and sign this form (see ‘Your sponsorship undertaking’ below). The information requested on this form, including documents relating to your employment and income, will assist the decision-maker in deciding whether you are able to meet these obligations."

While there are no set amounts, you have to show that you are able to meet these obligations, so for a partner visa like the OP wanted they would need to show they can assist financially and with accommodation in the first 2 years immediately after their Partner visa is granted.

So, you're saying, that there are now no financial or accommodation requirements.

5 other can lodge an application and their circumstances wouldn't be taken into account.

Good luck with that one.

There circumstances would be taken into account as to whether they meet there obligations as per above, but yes people who are unemployed and on centrelink payments have successfully sponsored partners, it all depends on the circumstances involved.

"Assurance of support" was removed from partner visas in 2012 due to amendments to social security legislation that affect eligibility for welfare payments.

Partners now have access to a range of social security payments while on a temporary partner visa.

Edited by Surin13
  • Like 1

If you read the sponsor form 40SP its pretty clear what is need, (taken direct from the form)

"You will also need to demonstrate that you will be able to meet your sponsorship obligations as undertaken by you when you complete and sign this form (see ‘Your sponsorship undertaking’ below). The information requested on this form, including documents relating to your employment and income, will assist the decision-maker in deciding whether you are able to meet these obligations."

While there are no set amounts, you have to show that you are able to meet these obligations, so for a partner visa like the OP wanted they would need to show they can assist financially and with accommodation in the first 2 years immediately after their Partner visa is granted.

Good luck with that one.

There circumstances would be taken into account as to whether they meet there obligations as per above, but yes people who are unemployed and on centrelink payments have successfully sponsored partners, it all depends on the circumstances involved.

I have no doubt that someone who is unemployed but has money or assets etc can be successful

in an application.

That's what I'm trying to say, you still have to be able to help financially and with accommodation.

If there are now no financial or accommodation requirements as per the OP's opening post, then

someone who is unemployed with no money in the bank or accommodation would be successful.

I seriously doubt that is the case.

Bottom line is, OP is saying there are new requirements for a spouse visa when I don't think there

are any changes at all.

If you were intending to lodge a spouse application and read the heading, it might cause the heart to

skip a beat.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Bottom line is, OP is saying there are new requirements for a spouse visa when I don't think there

are any changes at all.

If you were intending to lodge a spouse application and read the heading, it might cause the heart to

skip a beat.

Yep your right the last change in regards to financial requirements for partner visas was the removal of "Assurance of support" back at the beginning of 2012.

Since then there have been no changes in regards to financial aspects of a partner visa.

• Like 2

I will try and tell it word for word the conversation I had with the officer at DIAC last Thursday, I ask her if the money I had in bank accounts in Thailand would be acceptable to show I could support my wife in Australia as we wanted to go to Australia to live, I also asked what I had to have to show for accommodation, I told her I had only a small amount in my bank in Australia and I had no property in Australia and would have to sort out some where to live when I got back to Australia, I told her I had a mate we could stay with until I found a place to live, I ask what information I had to supply with my wife application for a visa, that is very simple there can be no misunderstanding of what I asked.

She said I did not have to supply any financial information or accommodation information as they use to require financial information and accommodation information but don't any more it only recently changed,, I again asked to make sure I understood what she told me ,, I asked I don't need to supply anything about money or how we would live in Australia ? she said no nothing ,, this is all very simple and not a misunderstanding by me or the officer at DIAC.

I have applied for partner visa for my first Thai wife and had to supply lot of stuff about my house, business and bank accounts and was concerned about this application for my now wife with all my money being in Thailand. I have been involved in six visa applications for Thai ladies so far and do know something about it.

This is very hard to dispute as it is from a senior officer at DIAC, JUST MAYBE YOU BLOKES ARE WRONG FOR ONCE, just saying, anyone can check for them self by phoning DIAC on Thursday between 2.00pm and 4.00pm if you want the number I can give it to you in a PM .

I will try and tell it word for word the conversation I had with the officer at DIAC last Thursday, I ask her if the money I had in bank accounts in Thailand would be acceptable to show I could support my wife in Australia as we wanted to go to Australia to live, I also asked what I had to have to show for accommodation, I told her I had only a small amount in my bank in Australia and I had no property in Australia and would have to sort out some where to live when I got back to Australia, I told her I had a mate we could stay with until I found a place to live, I ask what information I had to supply with my wife application for a visa, that is very simple there can be no misunderstanding of what I asked.

She said I did not have to supply any financial information or accommodation information as they use to require financial information and accommodation information but don't any more it only recently changed,, I again asked to make sure I understood what she told me ,, I asked I don't need to supply anything about money or how we would live in Australia ? she said no nothing ,, this is all very simple and not a misunderstanding by me or the officer at DIAC.

I have applied for partner visa for my first Thai wife and had to supply lot of stuff about my house, business and bank accounts and was concerned about this application for my now wife with all my money being in Thailand. I have been involved in six visa applications for Thai ladies so far and do know something about it.

This is very hard to dispute as it is from a senior officer at DIAC, JUST MAYBE YOU BLOKES ARE WRONG FOR ONCE, just saying, anyone can check for them self by phoning DIAC on Thursday between 2.00pm and 4.00pm if you want the number I can give it to you in a PM .

merlen10002, I'm not having a go at you, but you have posted that there are new requirements for wife/spouse's to Australia

which is all based on hearsay. You have provided no evidence at all about this other than saying you've spoken to a senior official

from DIAC.

You're saying that it is very hard to dispute but I beg to differ.

On the sponsorship form 40SP on page 3 it states:

What documents do you need?

You will also need to demonstrate that you will be able to

meet your sponsorship obligations as undertaken by you

when you complete and sign this form (see ‘Your sponsorship

undertaking’ below). The information requested on this

form, including documents relating to your employment and

income, will assist the decision-maker in deciding whether you

are able to meet these obligations.

On page 13 at part H- About your home:

It asks for, type of dwelling, how many people live there,

how many bedrooms and ownership.

So either, the form and website is wrong or out of date or the officer you spoke to is wrong.

So if you want to lodge an application on something you've been told rather than something

that is in black and white, that's up to you.

But I'd suggest that applicants and sponsors provide details as requested.

Now if you could come along and provide something in writing from DIAC, well then

that would be a whole different story.

Edited by Will27

This is still the case.

at all.

As stated previously, the sponsor always had a requirement both financially and for accommodation.

It was just never a "set" amount. For example, there was no income threshold you had to meet.

IMO, nothing has changed. You still have these requirements. You're saying "it has only just changed

and is no longer a requirement". If that is the case, how come this is on the 40SP which is the sponsorship

form for a spouse visa?

"

52 Undertaking

And

financially;

Sponsor obligations

As a sponsor you must provide accommodation and financial support for your partner and their family for up to two years following visa grant or first entry into Australia including any period they take English language courses (if needed).

Good luck with that one.

Nothing I have posted said that I do not have the responsibility to financially support my wife in Australia or that I would not have the responsibility to provide accommodation for her, what I have posted is that I do not have to provide bank statements or pay slips or any other financial information to DIAC in the application for her visa, same for accommodation, wish you would read what I have posted, it is very simple DIAC don't want financial information anymore or accommodation information , they did but it has now changed.

This is still the case.

at all.

form for a spouse visa?

"

52 Undertaking

And

financially;

Sponsor obligations

Good luck with that one.

Nothing I have posted said that I do not have the responsibility to financially support my wife in Australia or that I would not have the responsibility to provide accommodation for her, what I have posted is that I do not have to provide bank statements or pay slips or any other financial information to DIAC in the application for her visa, same for accommodation, wish you would read what I have posted, it is very simple DIAC don't want financial information anymore or accommodation information , they did but it has now changed.

I suggest you re-read my last post.

Under documents you need:

The information requested on this form, including documents relating

to your employment and income, will assist the decision-maker in deciding

whether you are able to meet these obligations.

I'm saying that financial and accommodation information are still being asked for on the DIAC

website and on the spouse applications.

But hey, if you know better.

Gosh khun Will27, despite being one of the more hansum man on these forums, you sure are an argumentative rex hunt! Can't you see, khun merlen10002, is well versed in the ways of the DIAC, he have experience for many years now!

If he says that he spoke with the DIAC and they said that he no have to provide paperwork, he know have to provide paperwork. Maybe he is more hansum man than you and get special consideration?

:P

• Like 1

Gosh khun Will27, despite being one of the more hansum man on these forums, you sure are an argumentative rex hunt! Can't you see, khun merlen10002, is well versed in the ways of the DIAC, he have experience for many years now!

If he says that he spoke with the DIAC and they said that he no have to provide paperwork, he know have to provide paperwork. Maybe he is more hansum man than you and get special consideration?

tongue.png

Boy you could not be more wrong,, hansum man me no no no, welly ugly and skinny but very big thing

tongue.png

Boy you could not be more wrong,, hansum man me no no no, welly ugly and skinny but very big thing

Merlin ... he wasn't referring to you ... rolleyes.gif

He referred to Will27 as the Hansum man!

Merlin ... I know you might be a magician ... but were you speaking with an Officer from the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) or someone from the Australian Embassy?

A quick check of their business card would sort out that question.

Just so there is no misunderstanding to others reading this thread ...

What the Sponsor requires is among many other things is ...

• Evidence that may establish the sponsor’s financial ability to provide settlement support to the applicant(s) (eg. Evidence of employment, Tax assessment notices, business documents if self-employed, superannuation documents if self-funded retiree). If insufficient evidence is provided an Assurance of Support may be requested

Taken from the Australian Embassy in Thailand web site for a Partner Visa ... HERE

• Like 1

tongue.png

You're right as always Mr Smith.

As I get no respect on this subforum, I think it's time

for me to retreat back to the movie and footy forums

where I know I am not only number 1 hansum man,

but also have good heart.

• Like 1

tongue.png

You're right as always Mr Smith.

As I get no respect on this subforum, I think it's time

for me to retreat back to the movie and footy forums

where I know I am not only number 1 hansum man,

but also have good heart.

Oh you also have good heart?

I sacrifice one buffalo in your name of one so revered!

Then you can soar like eagle in Joondalup!

drunk.gif

• Like 1

There is a requirements that you can SUPPORT HER. And the embassy are really supportive and helpful but be 1000000% honest and truthful even if its bad. They can see through, but if you ask they WILL HELP. Make sure you provide millions of pages of phone bills, pics, anything showing your relationship including letters from Ozzies at home.

Honestly, I did 1500 pages for my GAY PARTNER of 18months. Flights together, copies of hotel bills. EVERYTHING. the embassy was great.

My,point is it is harder when you are gay. And the embassy was terrific.

Screw the visa agents.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

There is a requirements that you can SUPPORT HER. And the embassy are really supportive and helpful but be 1000000% honest and truthful even if its bad. They can see through, but if you ask they WILL HELP. Make sure you provide millions of pages of phone bills, pics, anything showing your relationship including letters from Ozzies at home.

Honestly, I did 1500 pages for my GAY PARTNER of 18months. Flights together, copies of hotel bills. EVERYTHING. the embassy was great.

My,point is it is harder when you are gay. And the embassy was terrific.

Screw the visa agents.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Marcusd ... is that a typo?

1,500 pages ... is there one, maybe two to many zeros in that?

Seriously ... 1,500 pages ... surely not ... w00t.gif

Do agree with your comment about the helpful Embassy Staff ... our experiences and contacts thus far have been encouraging.

More about the requirements for wife/partner visa to Australia, and for WILL27,, who is being very negative about this post, I started this post thinking it may be of interested to Australian men that want to get their wife/partner to Australia and maybe a help to them,, I went to Thai CC house again yesterday afternoon, (I live in Nong Phi Lai Banglamung Chonburi Bangkok is a 120 kms from my place not that easy to go there) This is the second time in two weeks. I again spoke with a officer from the Australian Embassy, (they come to the visa application place from the Embassy every Thursday between 2.00pm & 4.00pm to give this service and they have their identification on them, they are the people that grant or refuse the visa, no one would be more qualified to know what is required than this person and that can not be disagreed with.

I again asked is financial information was required (this time it was a man last week it was a lady) he said no it is not a strong thing that we look for in the application, I asked him when did this requirement change, he said the requirement was changed just over one year ago, HIS WORDS NOT MINE, he used the words requirement and changed, I asked what about the application form it requires financial information to support your wife/partner, he said if you have bank statements or any financial information include them but it is not a strong thing we look at, he said we did but not now, I asked about accommodation is it the same he said yes not a strong thing we look for now we did before but not now. I asked why the application from was not changed he said it is not a strong point, not sure what that meant.

He said the strong thing they look for now is the relationship it must be a real relationship and for one year and have very strong proof of the relationship, he said someone like myself that was retired had no employment or income could not have their wife or partner live in Australia with them before now people like you can get a visa for your wife, I have gone to a bit of trouble to find this out and only posted on TV to help others, I went to the right place to find out and got the correct information only to have it pooh-pooh by negative know all know nothings on TV. what I have posted is not misleading or misunderstood but the facts about the requirements as of now, I will post a email address where anyone can send a email and ask for information about a visa for wife/partner and will get a reply email with a name of a person and a phone number to call and ask if what I have posted is correct or not, I wonder if any of the posters that said I was wrong will have the balls or guts to man up and send a email and call ask to see if what I have posted is right, I think not, pathetic,, the people that could benefit from this new requirements I am sure will check to find out if I am correct, I don't give two fishes tits about what anyone thinks I know that it is very good news for my wife and I and it makes things easy for us.

You do realise that your last visit to Thai CC house has just confirmed what people have been trying to tell you all along.

In your first post you posted this,

I decided to ask at Thai CC House Bangkok the visa application center, they have someone every Thursday to answer question, 2.00pm to 4.00pm, to my surprise the requirements for financial and accommodation information are not required anymore, the only requirements are for a real and true relationship, our marriage documents will cover that as we registered our marriage.

The part in bold the main thing people disagreed with in the post, as you said "its not required anymore"

Than in your latest post you post advice from the Embassy saying that its still required.

I again asked is financial information was required (this time it was a man last week it was a lady) he said no it is not a strong thing that we look for in the application, I asked him when did this requirement change, he said the requirement was changed just over one year ago, HIS WORDS NOT MINE, he used the words requirement and changed, I asked what about the application form it requires financial information to support your wife/partner, he said if you have bank statements or any financial information include them but it is not a strong thing we look at, he said we did but not now, I asked about accommodation is it the same he said yes not a strong thing we look for now we did before but not now.

The point that its still required and thats the thing people have been trying to tell you, which your latest visit has confirmed.

As I posted the amount of weight it carry's depends on a case by case basis and overall it may not carry much weight since the social security changes in 2012, which the officer may have been referring to.

But its still required as per regulation 1.20 2( c ) of the Migration regulations 1994 and you will need to show how you meet these obligations, which is why the sponsor application form hasn't changed.

I can not believe you blokes you will not give in,,,,,, I asked again is the financial information required ? He said NO, NO MEANS NO , both the first officer and the second officer said NO it is not required, maybe I did not write it clear enough for you but it was very clear what he said to me, it is not a strong thing we look for was after the NO,, not part of the same answer the conversation with him was for about 15 minutes I have not put all the conversation in the post , he made it very clear I did not have to include financials or accommodation information, he did say if I had bank account details I could include them if I wanted to. the first lady officer did not say anything about including financial or accommodation. she simply said it was not necessary. both the officers where very clear it was not required to include financial or accommodation information, I guarantee not you or anyone saying I am wrong will contact the Embassy to find out if I am wrong or not. before they changed the requirement for financials and accommodation the information had to be about both in Australia, I don't have anything in Australia except for a small bank account, every thing is in Thailand

Merlen10002, we were not there so can only go on what you tell us, so no you haven't been very clear at all in what you are trying to say.

As to the requirement it has not changed in legislation, how the Australian Embassy Thailand wants to apply it is up to them. But are you sure you want to take an officers verbal word on it?

If you want to take a gamble on it go ahead, submit your application with no details on your financials or accommodation or how you are going to meet these obligations and see how you go. Good luck to you if you succeed.

My experience dealing with the case officers at the embassy is their knowledge of legislation is somewhat lacking and they often give poor advice, not to mention the very high turn over of staff they seem to have.

My advice to people would be to submit the information, as its still required by legislation whether or not they really need it. Its a lot of money and stress to gamble with based on someones verbal word, when the legislation says otherwise.

Edited by Surin13
  • Like 2

Given that the rent on a cheap one bedroom flat, anywhere in Australia within cooee of a job, is at least 1000 per month, plus the ridiculously high charges for electricity and water, and mindful that one must have 2 weeks rent up front, plus 4 weeks bond, it would be suicide to try to reestablish you and your Thai Spouse back in Australia without more than 100KAUD as a safety net.

Of course if you have relatives that are happy for you and your new Thai wife to sponge off them you may have some glimmer of hope.