Which Asian countries are NOT Visa On Arrival?

Shoeboat

To my knowledge, a British national must apply for a visa in advance for China and Vietnam.

Thailand, Japan, Malaysia and all the other countries in Asia/SE Asia are, to the best of my knowledge, VOA.

However, I am not sure about Taiwan or (South) Korea and would like confirmation on this.

All I can find on Google is that a pre-aranged visa is only required for China, Vietnam, Mongolia and Cambodia - that's for a US citizen.

Regards

SB

VOA is not available to UK or US citizens for Thailand.

While true, a bit misleading. UK and US passport holders are eligible for a 30 Day Visa Exemption, you are not given a visa but are allowed to enter for 30 days visa free.

Edited by gjoo888
  • Like 2

VOA is not available to UK or US citizens for Thailand.

While true, a bit misleading. UK and US passport holders are eligible for a 30 Day Visa Exemption, you are not given a visa but are allowed to enter for 30 days visa free.

"While true, a bit misleading. "

No, Visa on Arrival is not the same as a visa exempt entry. Many misunderstandings here because of misuse of terminology. Some nationalities are eligible for VOA and others for Visa Exempt Entry.

I think an interesting discussion would be "which Asian countries allow the longest Visa-Exempt entry duration".

(for Western passport holders)

Thailand: 30 days

Malaysia: 90 days (!)

S. Korea: 90 days

Japan: 90 days

If Thailand had the same visa-exempt policy as Malaysia, perhaps half of the TV forum posts would have been moot.

Update for China: many big cities in China (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing) now allow for a 72-hour visa free entry, provided you have an onward ticket outside of China. This is of course to boost tourism revenue, which is lagging right now.

Taiwan and S. Korea no problem and no hassle.

"Thailand, Japan, Malaysia and all the other countries in Asia/SE Asia are, to the best of my knowledge, VOA."

Myanmar (Burma) and North Korea, not so simple......

Edited by bangon04