I have a quality problem! Where do we go for a holiday?

cnx37

I have lived in Thailand for 10+ years - Chiang Mai. I am Australian - lived @ the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - Surfers Paradise area.

I looked @ Phuket but now am on the retreat - golf, water sports & shopping. I am a retired golfer, The wife hates the beach/water activities & I detest shopping - Chiang Mai has all the shopping amenities anyway.

I have been to BKK, Pattaya, Singapore, Hong Kong, Penang, Philippines, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Indonesia,& China.

My wife enjoys Thai food only - heard it all before?

Thus the problem! Stay in Chiang Mai, watch TV, "play" Thai Visa forum, meditation of navel?

I am 65yo. Any recommendations? Location, country,hotels/apartments, activities etc? We wish to be away for about 1 week.

HELP!

Edited by cnx37

Go back to Oz to smell those gum trees.

Angkor wat near Siem Reap in Cambodia, you can't see this place in one visit. if you get bored, you can catch a boat to Phnom Penh for a quick look.

Luang Probang in Laos would be another good option, you could take the slow boat down the Mekong over two days and maybe fly back.

• Like 2

Good recommendation. No need to go far to get away, especially if you are only looking at a week. Laos and Siem Reap are great recommendations.

Or, try something closer to home. Lots of places to explore near CM. The MHS loop. Up towards Fang and Tha Ton. Loei and the national parks there. Chiang Khan on the river.

Why are you trying to get away? Just bored or trying to avoid Songkran or something like that???

• Like 1

Have you considered the possibility of separate holidays, for each of you to pursue your own different interests ? wai2.gif

And Hua Hin might satisfy the conflicting-needs, for golf & beach & shopping from the same base, if it's only for a week ?

• Like 2

push your trip a little further.

come and visit Honolulu, the weather is great 22'-30'c not as humid as Thailand (this month) - plenty of golf courses and beautiful paradise, multi-culture and english spoken..

stay or choose a local area such as Ala Moana unlike Waikiki where all the tourists are. There are a several Thai restaurants in the

vicinity and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

quality can be expensive in Honolulu but local hotel such as Pagoda Hotel/ or Ala Moana Hotel may be fine (3star), check google for Outrigger Hawaii chain hotels.

other US pacific territory destination nearby with golf courses are; Guam, Saipan, Palau; they are also nice places but weather similar to Thailand, very humid versus Hawaii.

The travel routing to the US territories from Bangkok will be either connecting through Philippines on UAL or through Narita Japan as well as traveling to Honolulu.

Luang Prabang is awesome just to chill for 5 days. Very very quiet at night. Bed by 10ish after markets and restaurants close. Can fly direct from CM. If money is no object, fly onwards to Hanoi and go to Halong Bay, 3 nights on a luxury junk. Awesome. Laos and Vietnamese food will suit the missus. No need for sand. Both locations can be very very romantic.

PM me if you want further info. And no I am not in the travel industry. Good luck.

Edited by iancnx
  • Like 2

push your trip a little further.

come and visit Honolulu, the weather is great 22'-30'c not as humid as Thailand (this month) - plenty of golf courses and beautiful paradise, multi-culture and english spoken..

stay or choose a local area such as Ala Moana unlike Waikiki where all the tourists are. There are a several Thai restaurants in the

vicinity and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

quality can be expensive in Honolulu but local hotel such as Pagoda Hotel/ or Ala Moana Hotel may be fine (3star), check google for Outrigger Hawaii chain hotels.

other US pacific territory destination nearby with golf courses are; Guam, Saipan, Palau; they are also nice places but weather similar to Thailand, very humid versus Hawaii.

The travel routing to the US territories from Bangkok will be either connecting through Philippines on UAL or through Narita Japan as well as traveling to Honolulu.

" We wish to be away for about 1 week."

Honolulu xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web

This looks like a great deal. I've got no relation to this company. If nothing else, the pics show you an idea of what N. Vietnam is like. I went about 12 years ago. Due for another visit!!!!

oops...forgot the link:

http://www.zozi.com/getaways/10463/?ed=2014-02-19&p=11&et=ed_5getawaypan_3gr_4&c=FEB19_Getaway_GR_WC_VA&a=getaway&el=GET_GR_WC_VA&utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=FEB19_Getaway_GR_WC_VA

Malaysia is a good shout, you didn't mention it, close by, not expensive, can get Thai food

Although if your missus is Thai no Thai food is good enough, of course. I told a Thai friend of mine you can get good Thai food in Bukit Bintang in the streets where the Chinese places are "no, you can't get soft rice like in Thailand ...." oh well

• Like 1

Thank you People!

The holiday is not for the wife! She is very contented just staying in CNX (& of course receiving regular visits from parents). Primarily, it is for ME - after a big loss & disappointment/bitterness re relative. Add the continuous (yes, continuous not continual) pain from post-cancer - no golf anymore, inability to eat, I need a break.

Taiwan, Sth Korea, Hawaii - no interest. Malaysia - been to Penang & Jahore (not KL). Bali - been there - never again! Oz - not bloody likely! MHS loop - done a bit of that - my wife comes from Fang - maybe.

Now, Cambodia (Luang Prabang), Vietnam - interesting. I have seen too many temples in Thailand but this may be very special? Vietnam - love the food (mint) but impossible to enjoy now. In Oz, I met a Vietnamese lass - very, very beautiful - "bird-watching" in Vietnam is enticing!

The above is not a criticism - just thoughts. I very much appreciate your input.

Interest rates down again. I had a 12mth term deposit - 3.25% - now 2.75% (less 15% tax). At one stage, interest rates in Oz were 18-20% - bring it back! I am not a punter at my age but enjoy reading the exploits of foreign exchange "players" on TV - fiction or fact? If fact, there are some big players in LOS. That topic is worth a read - "I'm going to be a multi-millionaire or die in futures".

Again, thanks & would appreciate more input (maybe I am missing the point)!

Edited by cnx37

Penang and JB in Malaysia *yuck*

KL is a great city then you have Langkawi or Tioman Islands, Perhentien Islands ... not sure about Thai food

Cameron Highlands, Cherating, lots of places

Luang Prabang is Laos by the way and yes, nice, chilled out kind of place, lots (and lots!) of temples but also can be relaxing place to spend a few days for a break

• Like 1