All smiles for Vanessa Mae despite violinist finishing LAST on Olympic skiing debut

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie the Eagle, the Jamacan Bobsled Team, and Vanessa Mae..........

All get my Applause for Effort. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

She qualified and competed.

How many TV members here posting can boast such a feat as Competing in the Olympics ?

Thought So............ None

Edited by quagmirefg
  • Like 1

A complete and utter sham. She should be ashamed. He met the criteria in a series of manipulated races in Slovenia.

She was so far back from 2nd last place her result was a comic tour de force. She would have a difficult time beating a 10 year

old girl from countries with competitive skiing programs. If it were a game of golf she finished 283 strokes behind the

winner in a two day tournament. Thats not her score that is her strokes behind the winner. Just a rich débutante

who wants to claim she was an Olympian. Eddy the Eagle was a double Olympic gold medallist when you compare

his results to hers. The Olympics has fallen a long way down in credibility with this stunt. bah.gif

Vanessa Mae's father is Thai. She's holding dual citizenship.

I thought it was illegal for a Thai to have dual nationality. However I know every one does it.

Chris

Can't be. Thaksin is listed as having three nationalities.

Of course being one of the elite hi-so Thais probably means the law doesn't apply to him anyway. wink.png

[besides, a little free publicity never hurts. She's managed to get that for herself, Thailand, Women's Skiing and the Olympics all in a combined time of just under 3'27".]

Not to mention the 'avalanche' of comment here on dear old TV! Must be worth something...

Wow, what do so many of you have against this girl? A super talented woman who qualifies for one of the scariest of Olympic sports, finishes and we have all these haters! What did Vanessa ever do to you?

How many of you have had a go on a black diamond trail let alone a full olympic course?

Maybe there are a few who have white knuckled it down a BDT before, but doubtfully ever in an all-out competition. You have to have skill and nerve. This lady is one brave cookie, confident and willing to take a risk. Hats off to her.

• Like 1

I don't think she is even a Thai citizen. She can't speak Thai and grew up in the U.K. and got to the Olympics just because of her looks and tenuous connection to Thailand, it is really disrespectful that she was allowed to compete with real atheletes who have trained a better part of their lives to achieve this goal.

She has British citizenship etc courtesy of her step father. Years ago she did a concert tour under the title ' China Girl ' and now re-discovers her Thai heritage for the Olympics.

I don't know how involved the Thai Olympic Committee was in this but so far haven't spoken to a single Thai who knows who she is. I do understand the lack of interest in the Winter Olympics though.

I remember only too well the disgraceful Zola Budd situation when the British Olympic Committee simply grovelled to get her to compete since Sth. Africa was banned at the time.

She was given a passport because her father was English, she won nothing and when the games were over went straight back to Sth. Africa.

The disgraceful Zola Budd. <deleted>: You pumped up moldy Troll, how dare you. Zola has more ethics, sound morality, courage and tenacity than you and your whole family put together.

So she used the system to get to compete at Olympic level. Yes like most Australians, American etc... Caucasian South Africans have a heritage as well.

Spineless <deleted>!!!

Vanessa was quite obviously part of the publicity for the Winter Olympics. If she chose to highlight her Thai heritage then strength to her. Thailand should be proud to recognise her, as one of their own. I think she is just great. What a lady. Regardless of her blood line.

• Like 1

I don't think she is even a Thai citizen. She can't speak Thai and grew up in the U.K. and got to the Olympics just because of her looks and tenuous connection to Thailand, it is really disrespectful that she was allowed to compete with real atheletes who have trained a better part of their lives to achieve this goal.

She has British citizenship etc courtesy of her step father. Years ago she did a concert tour under the title ' China Girl ' and now re-discovers her Thai heritage for the Olympics.

I don't know how involved the Thai Olympic Committee was in this but so far haven't spoken to a single Thai who knows who she is. I do understand the lack of interest in the Winter Olympics though.

I remember only too well the disgraceful Zola Budd situation when the British Olympic Committee simply grovelled to get her to compete since Sth. Africa was banned at the time.

She was given a passport because her father was English, she won nothing and when the games were over went straight back to Sth. Africa.

The disgraceful Zola Budd. <deleted>: You pumped up moldy Troll, how dare you. Zola has more ethics, sound morality, courage and tenacity than you and your whole family put together.

So she used the system to get to compete at Olympic level. Yes like most Australians, American etc... Caucasian South Africans have a heritage as well.

Spineless <deleted>!!!

Vanessa was quite obviously part of the publicity for the Winter Olympics. If she chose to highlight her Thai heritage then strength to her. Thailand should be proud to recognise her, as one of their own. I think she is just great. What a lady. Regardless of her blood line.

You really should learn to read before going off half cocked. I said disgraceful SITUATION not her and how the British Olympic Committee grovelled to get her on board.

WELL DONE Vanessa Mae-Vanakorn.

To the "Sour-Mouths" - remember, she had to complete the Olympic Trials to qualify - that is no easy task.

To be placed low down in the Company of the greatest skiers on Earth - in competition - in heavy snow - THAT is no small thing.

So to those of you who comment so sourly and find falling off a bar stool the most energetic activity possible - Vanessa Mae is an Olympian - and YOU can't change That!

Nope, there were no olympic trials. She just had to complete a few FIS races to qualify, whatever her time was.

Spineless <deleted>!!!

Think your being a bit harsh, numerous posters are having a go at Vanessa Mae for using entitlement to a Thai passport and trying to infer she is something less than a Thai national, and think NKK is just illustrating this Vanessa Mae thing is not the first time something like this has happened and dont think its a personal attack on Zola Budd, her talent as an athlete or her decision to go to the Olympics under a British passport, maybe the wrong choice of word using "disgraceful"

thumbsup.gif

A complete and utter sham. She should be ashamed. He met the criteria in a series of manipulated races in Slovenia.

She was so far back from 2nd last place her result was a comic tour de force. She would have a difficult time beating a 10 year

old girl from countries with competitive skiing programs. If it were a game of golf she finished 283 strokes behind the

winner in a two day tournament. Thats not her score that is her strokes behind the winner. Just a rich débutante

who wants to claim she was an Olympian. Eddy the Eagle was a double Olympic gold medallist when you compare

his results to hers. The Olympics has fallen a long way down in credibility with this stunt. bah.gif

Sham as in they allow professional paid athletes to take part yes it is.

Any sport not just Olympics is all about taking part, coming last so what.someone has too..

• Like 1

Vanessa Mae is my ideal woman.

she is yours. my creditcard is too small.

Read somewhere she's worth 30M£. And she's getting to the age where wealthy women get toyboys, so if BradWalker's early 20's, buff & ready, there's a real chance for a paid up gigolo job.

having a bad hair day?

“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.”

Pierre de Coubertin

• Like 1