Renewing a UK Passport whilst in Thailand.

banglay

Hi Folks ...I need to renew my UK Passport in the next month of so.and I have a few question I would like help with .

(1).. Do you now send application forms and documents directly to the UK (Liverpool Office) and by-pass the Hong Kong route?

(2)..Has anyone renewed there passport in the last month or so ? and what was the time period involved?.

(3) I have the PDF of the blank form from the Government website .but I have been lead to believe there is a online form that you can fill out with all the relevant info and print off and send . has any one got the leak to this it would make things simpler.

(4).. Has anyone got any tips or advice which might be helpful....(Please only sensible helpful replies only )

I thank you all in advance

Cheers

Yes send it to Liverpool

Got mine back in about 3 weeks.

They are very fussy about you providing proof of your address. Not easy for a lot of us in Thailand.

The actual amount taken from my bank was £151 and a few pence even though the website says £148.

Do not send your old passport but copy every page. (Even the empty ones)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688402-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=7150079#entry7150079

• Like 1

Yes send it to Liverpool

Got mine back in about 3 weeks.

They are very fussy about you providing proof of your address. Not easy for a lot of us in Thailand.

The actual amount taken from my bank was £151 and a few pence even though the website says £148.

Do not send your old passport but copy every page. (Even the empty ones)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688402-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/?p=7150079#entry715

Lite Beer

What proof of address with the passport office accept ???

Re;- "But copy every page (Even the empty ones) will the passport office accept Black & White as copies or do they want full colour copies....?

I'd rather get things right from day one. cheers.

I've at last worked out how to fill in the pdf fill from the Gov website ...

first download the pdf file .then on the top tool bar right hand corner you'll see Tools Sign Comments click Sign and a new box will open on the right of the pdf..you then click on T add text and you can fill out the form ..it;s a bit fiddly at first but after a couple of minute you should get the hang of it ...I did

Send the downloaded form together with another item on the docs list and send it by EMS to a friend/relative back in the UK. Then have them send it registered post back to you here. All for half the price.

Any problems with immegration when you do your 90 day as you will need to update your new passport with the relevant visas and your old passport does not show you leaving the country ,so they will know you were in the country without a passport.

pd what was the "another item" on the docs list?

Edited by i claudius

Any problems with immegration when you do your 90 day as you will need to update your new passport with the relevant visas and your old passport does not show you leaving the country ,so they will know you were in the country without a passport.

Was that a question?

In my experience yes, just bringing the old and new passports down to Immigration will be fine, they will update their records and transfer the relevant stamps to the new one.

In practice you're probably OK just exiting with both the old and new in hand, but the above is what you're technically supposed to do if you want to prevent any possible delays at the border, e.g. sometimes their comm lines go down.

I have to do this soon. I have no idea how I am going to provide proof of address, all my utilities are in the owners name.

How did you pay? I no longer have a uk bank account.

This would indicate

A friend recently skirted the address problem by asking a colleague to write a letter on headed paper confirming where he lives.

that they don't require hard "proof". But to be more sure, just get some non-recurring bills sent to you there, e.g. visit a local doctor, shouldn't be much and ask them to do this even if you're paying cash.

Having something delivered, just a few different pieces of paper, ideally computer-generated that associate your name with the address.

In a pinch if you're handy with a computer you could gin these up yourself, but I'm not advising that, more trouble than the above approach anyway.

Can someone post a link to the website for online forms to fill.

You can get a prepaid visa for 5 £

Sent to a uk address and the check the balance online and print that page is what my friend done.

Believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see!!

You can't apply for a VISA from within Thailand, only get the existing one you're on transferred, extensions of stay etc from the immigration POLICE.

Visas are handled by embassies (Foreign Affairs) completely separate department, for visitors not yet in the country.

Send the downloaded form together with another item on the docs list and send it by EMS to a friend/relative back in the UK. Then have them send it registered post back to you here. All for half the price.

Not if your renewing PP, you dont send your PP to the UK....so you do have a PP in country,

I agree with what your saying if your talking about sending a PP out the country to get Visa put in it via the UK, but not renewing PP....in effect jpeg is doing exactly what the passport office is doing, exepct a bit cheaper thats all....you send all your copies/photo's and form to the UK and they send the new PP back by courier...

When's the last time you were asked to show your passport?huh.png 90 day report? Pfft ... ways and means my dear chap ...