Floor tiles - granite, marble or granito?

jonnyscot

Hi guys, any thoughts on whether the choice in floor tiles would have any worthwhile bearing on the temperature inside the house,

Where we stay now the granite tiles certainly appear cooler than other tiles in the house, but colour choice isn't as varied, some of the marble tiles we've checked out look ok although not cheap, but there seems to be a much bigger choice of colours in the granito tiles

I'm sure granite would be much stronger than the others but I'd appreciate any feedback on whether the choice of floor tile really would make a difference to the inside house temperature or not?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Granite and marble, being more dense, will retain a temperature longer but I doubt enough to have significant affect on room temperature. (It will feel cool well into a hot day.) Marble can be a bit dodgy to clean if it gets stained whereas granite seems impervious to just about everything. If money is not a concern, I'd go with granite. The larger places that sell will have a range of colors (and prices).

Thanks Steve, I've had a couple of PM responses and think I'll put the marble option on the back burner , mainly due to the maintenance, Granite does seem to be the better option, I've absolutely no knowledge of these granito tiles that I see in some shops although a decent selection of colours in them

quote name="bankruatsteve" Granite and marble, being more dense, will retain a temperature longer but I doubt enough to have significant affect on room temperature. (It will feel cool well into a hot day.) Marble can be a bit dodgy to clean if it gets stained whereas granite seems impervious to just about everything. If money is not a concern, I'd go with granite. The larger places that sell will have a range of colors (and prices).

whereas granite seems impervious to just about everything.

I thought the same yet mine is marked with that damn marker pen that thai builders love to use, those with the blue/white or red/white or black/white shaft (the pen that is, not the builders). Any ideas how this comes off ? I tried petrol already...

Looks like the granite tiles are going in in the main living areas, we may give those granito tiles a try in the bathrooms,,

Noticed quite a difference in pricing in the granite depending on colour/pattern choice, anywhere between 450 baht to 3900 baht sq mtr ,,,yikes

Add to that another 150 odd baht + sq mtr for fitting and whatever the cementing cost,,, one thing sure, when they get laid on the floor they sure as hell ain't coming back up again any time soon,,,

Have you tried removing those marks with vinegar, no experience with this myself, but vinegar I hear is an excellent multi purpose cleaner that can be used in many other applications

Bear in mind that granito tiles have a porcelain finish surface and are graded for their

porousness, the best grade are called Nano or AAA which can withstand being permanently

marked and are easier to clean.

Also very slippery when wet so bear that in mind when you decide on your bathroom floor.

• Like 1

Thanks for that clarification sotsira, the wife had planned on getting the nano type, now I know why,

Planning in only placing the granito tiles away from the showering area, so hopefully the rest of the bathroom won't be like a skating rink, but I'll consider your point as I did notice the nano type are super glossy so I'd imagine super slippery when wet also

Thanks