How can you explain the difference between a westernized girl and a non-westernized Thai girl?

Sojuncoke

To get interesting and useful answers you must ask a coherent question.

At first I thought you were asking for a definition, how do Thai girls become "westernized"?

But then it seems "westernized" to you simply means a mentality present in more economically developed subcultures, being more familiar with modern ideas, exposed to "global culture", simply of a more wealthy background?

Finally, perhaps you're asking - what are the differences between the rural upcountry uneducated girl and the more worldly/educated ones from OUR POV, in other words, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each as a gf/wife?

Personally I avoid any girls that have had any significant exposure to the world outside their poor upcountry village, no smartphone, no Internet experience, no English at all.

But that's me, probably not of interest to most so I'll leave it at that unless you want to ask questions - ideally specific, clear and coherent questions please.

• Like 2

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It ain't no rocket science, is it?

''westernised Thai girls'' are Thai girls whom are similar to girls in western countries. The more they act and think like our western sisters in western countries, the more ''westernised'' they are.

Yeah so what's your explanation of a non westernized girl you.

I'm guessing they are less demanding, less "prima donna", etc.

Well, I can't help you if you can't see and understand the differences between the general Thai females and females in Western countries.

So for example, South Korean and Taiwanese girls are very westernized and Prima Donna-ish. I might have answered my own question but I also want to see if you guys agree.

You might as well add Hong Kongnese, Japanese, Singaporean to that list if we are talking about Asia. I know what you mean with these examples, but there are girls with ''prima donna'' tendecies in Bangkok as well, nothing to do with culture. More to do with their up-bringing and influence of their societies.

So for example, South Korean and Taiwanese girls are very westernized and Prima Donna-ish. I might have answered my own question but I also want to see if you guys agree.

You might as well add Hong Kongnese, Japanese, Singaporean to that list if we are talking about Asia. I know what you mean with these examples, but there are girls with ''prima donna'' tendecies in Bangkok as well, nothing to do with culture. More to do with their up-bringing and influence of their societies.

And none of this has much to do with "western".

The process of economic development has been running strong for many decades in these places and the way their cultures change as a result is rarely in the same way as back home.

Of course global capitalism and consumerism have their own characteristics independent of culture as well, but somehow I don't think that's what the OP is about.

To get interesting and useful answers you must ask a coherent question.

At first I thought you were asking for a definition, how do Thai girls become "westernized"?

But then it seems "westernized" to you simply means a mentality present in more economically developed subcultures, being more familiar with modern ideas, exposed to "global culture", simply of a more wealthy background?

Finally, perhaps you're asking - what are the differences between the rural upcountry uneducated girl and the more worldly/educated ones from OUR POV, in other words, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each as a gf/wife?

Personally I avoid any girls that have had any significant exposure to the world outside their poor upcountry village, no smartphone, no Internet experience, no English at all.

But that's me, probably not of interest to most so I'll leave it at that unless you want to ask questions - ideally specific, clear and coherent questions please.

WRT to girls without ... any significant exposure to the world outside their poor upcountry village, no smartphone, no Internet experience, no English at all.

There's lots of girls like this up here in Isaan -- although not too many past the age of 6.

What really would be the point in a westernised Thai girl?

My missus has become semi westernised, it does make things easier. Don't know if I could do it all again, It was hard work the first time around.

I've been married for 12 years. My wife isn't westernised. She's thai, married to a foreigner.

She said couldn't become westernised if she tried and I would not want her to anyway. And by that I don't mean learn to eat cheese burgers, but think like a westerner.

• Like 2

Most guys here are old men, they will give you good advice. laugh.png

yep.thai visa might be the worst thai related forum for relationship advice in thailand.

if you want to know about hookers though, this place is hard to beat.

No , ThaiVisa memers have only HiSo gals........................

WRT to girls without ... any significant exposure to the world outside their poor upcountry village, no smartphone, no Internet experience, no English at all.

There's lots of girls like this up here in Isaan -- although not too many past the age of 6.

"Not too many" as a percentage OK, but perhaps you live in a relatively prosperous area where it actually rains most years. But given that half the population lives out there, the bottom half of that group is still very undeveloped.

Just head out in the poorer provinces, off the main road down any dirt track at random, drive for a while until you find villages where every house is either traditional teak or scraps of tin, some with no television, no running water maybe one bare light bulb their only use of electricity.

Hundreds of tambon, thousands upon thousands of villages where half or more of the population lives like this.

Then get out and walk around, get to know the local families and find those that had to pull their kids out of school at 12-13 so they could help with the farming or head out to work for a pittance wage to put food on the table. And the girls stay at home until they're either married or get pregnant, often longer if they're the one designated to take care of mum in her dotage.

Sure change is coming, slowly moving out of the third world, but we're not there yet.

• Like 2

"Not too many" as a percentage OK, but perhaps you live in a relatively prosperous area where it actually rains most years. But given that half the population lives out there, the bottom half of that group is still very undeveloped.

Just head out in the poorer provinces, off the main road down any dirt track at random, drive for a while until you find villages where every house is either traditional teak or scraps of tin, some with no television, no running water maybe one bare light bulb their only use of electricity.

Hundreds of tambon, thousands upon thousands of villages where half or more of the population lives like this.

Then get out and walk around, get to know the local families and find those that had to pull their kids out of school at 12-13 so they could help with the farming or head out to work for a pittance wage to put food on the table. And the girls stay at home until they're either married or get pregnant, often longer if they're the one designated to take care of mum in her dotage.

Sure change is coming, slowly moving out of the third world, but we're not there yet.

Don't have to -- they all come en masse to the BigC on the weekends.

No JL you still don't get it, the ones I'm talking about don't get to "muang" at all more than a few times a year, and more likely to be visiting a special temple or visiting a waterfall.

Big C would be the equivalent of a trip to Disney Hong Kong, huge wide-eyed wonder just seeing the place, no expectation of actually spending any money, flabbergasted at the experience itself.

Many of my SOs before coming to BKK had never eaten in an air-conditioned restaurant, never been in an elevator and yes completely unfamiliar with how to work a sit-down toilet.

How old are you ?

I would guess 75 - 80

No JL you still don't get it, the ones I'm talking about don't get to "muang" at all more than a few times a year, and more likely to be visiting a special temple or visiting a waterfall.

Big C would be the equivalent of a trip to Disney Hong Kong, huge wide-eyed wonder just seeing the place, no expectation of actually spending any money, flabbergasted at the experience itself.

Many of my SOs before coming to BKK had never eaten in an air-conditioned restaurant, never been in an elevator and yes completely unfamiliar with how to work a sit-down toilet.

I've lived here for 10+ years in isaan and the girls come in on the song taews and the back of pick ups if only to sniff the samples "Many of ... "?

"Many of ... "?

All depends how you define "significant".

Dozens at the most stringent definition.

Some of them were a more than five hour drive from a decent sized town - that's me driving a private vehicle not counting getting lost.

So probably 7+ by song taew, not the sort of trip for window shopping with the family.

And of course not allowed that far from home on their own. . .

Maybe a 5 hour drive from Klong Toey

Whatever you say 8-)

If that's supposed to refer to where I live, that's actually less than twenty minutes away in midday traffic.

But that's got nothing to do with where I find girls, only do city girls ST and that sort of thing's been very rare for a long while now. . .

Maybe a 5 hour drive from Klong Toey

Whatever you say 8-)

If that's supposed to refer to where I live, that's actually less than twenty minutes away in midday traffic.

But that's got nothing to do with where I find girls, only do city girls ST and that sort of thing's been very rare for a long while now. . .

Some of them were a more than five hour drive from a decent sized town There is no place in mainland Thailand that is a 5 hour drive from the nearest BigC

Edited by JLCrab

You might as well add Hong Kongnese, Japanese, Singaporean to that list if we are talking about Asia. I know what you mean with these examples, but there are girls with ''prima donna'' tendencies in Bangkok as well, nothing to do with culture. More to do with their up-bringing and influence of their societies.

There you have it.

• Like 1

There is no place in mainland Thailand that is a 5 hour drive from the nearest BigC

You are a lawyer aren't you - trying to count the mini ones like Lotus Express?

And even then I'd bet you're wrong, I've visited villages that took several hours just to get to asphalt. . .

Or maybe you've just got a more rugged 4WD and don't mind banging it at 20km+ along the rice paddy tracks. Try that on the mountain tracks up in the hills of Chiang Rai and you won't last long!

You might as well add Hong Kongnese, Japanese, Singaporean to that list if we are talking about Asia. I know what you mean with these examples, but there are girls with ''prima donna'' tendencies in Bangkok as well, nothing to do with culture. More to do with their up-bringing and influence of their societies.

Actually that last is the definition of culture.

There are hundreds of different (sub) cultures within Thailand, many dozens within just Bangkok.

Globalization is certainly homogenizing the more wealthy and educated classes, but it's a pretty slow process, and lots of the "native" remains even after they've learned to imitate - in some cases actually adopt internally - SOME of the global attitudes.